***** Official Dallas Stars 2019-2020 season thread*****

282,762 Views | 6143 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Roll the Bones
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Both the Stars and the Khudobin camp openly saying they want to make a deal. The flat cap and saturated goalie market make me hopeful the cost is lower than it otherwise would be; also hope Khudobin puts a premium on playing for a contender he's familiar with.

But, he probably wants as many years as he can get. And not sure the Stars will want to commit to more than 2 with Oettinger in the pipeline. Khudobin would have to be exposed to the Seattle expansion draft next year.

I guess we'd need to know about Bishop's injury to get a better feel, as well.
eb93
AG
I would not long-term bet on Khudobin if I am Stars management. History says he is a backup. He was hot against Vegas, but in the other three series a little bit up and down. But he was part of the lore of a Stanley Cup Finals team, and so sentiment could cause an over-reaction. More concerned about status of Bishop.
TXAggie2011
AG
He's a really good backup, and has shown to be helpful on a team with an older #1. If they can get him on a reasonable 2 year deal, I'd think about it. And not be too cut up about it if Seattle takes him in the expansion draft.

The Stars obviously have to start looking at finding some younger top 6 forwards that can skate, and start planning for the post-Radulov/Pavelski years. Realistically, though, they're perhaps not going to be in on the top forward free agents for another 2 years when those two guys are likely gone, so maybe a 2 year deal on someone like Khudobin solidifies the roster for now but keeps flexibility going into 2022 when they could have some serious cash to throw around.
TXAggie2011
AG
Its just hard to tell right now where this goalie market is going to go. Seems like there's only a handful of teams that really have the ability to spend.

And re: Khudobin and some other older guys, most of them perhaps aren't attractive for someone who just tasted the Stanley Cup finals/wants to contend.

Colorado looks good but they've got goalies.
FWAppraiser
AG
We apparently just signed Sekera to a 2 year contract. Does that mean Johns is done or at least at risk of being done? Or maybe it's the equivalent of Polak. A veteran that is ideally your 6th/7th defenseman on any given night and an insurance policy in case of injury. Just surprised we're spending money there.
Danny Vermin
I'm more than ok with this. He had the second best plus/minus on the team at plus 9 and Harley needs 1 full year at Cedar Park.
FWAppraiser
AG
I get that, and for $1.5M per year, it's probably the best option out there. BUT the AHL may not even have a season. If that's the case, I'd like to see Harley get into the rotation on a semi regular basis as the 7th dman. Sekera for that price though is not a bad move at all. Potentially buys Harley a year or two to get more NHL ready.
Kashchei
AG
Agree with consensus opinion. I wish it was only for one year, but he turned his game around after the Calgary series big time. And he will be forever immortalized in Stars lore for the Kivi setup.
Kashchei
AG
eb93 said:

I would not long-term bet on Khudobin if I am Stars management. History says he is a backup. He was hot against Vegas, but in the other three series a little bit up and down. But he was part of the lore of a Stanley Cup Finals team, and so sentiment could cause an over-reaction. More concerned about status of Bishop.

I'm okay with either scenario. Either he walks and we save a little bit of money, or he comes back as our 1b (at a reasonable price of course).

I can't decide if I want a green Dobby or Gury jersey next - with the SC finals patch on it of course...
Wheatables02
AG
Massive, devastating injuries to the Stars..

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article246309410.html
Legal Custodian
AG
Yeah, that makes our run even more impressive. Absolutely amazing that our top 6 pretty much had surgery or will have surgery. Not to mention our starting goalie and backup goalie.
Rubble
AG
Wow
AgBQ-00
AG
That is a ton of high value difference makers. Hoping they can get back for next season.

I'm worried about Johns.
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
Thunder18
AG
Incredible run given the severity of some of those injuries
CoolAggie
AG
TV Casualty
AG
I'm glad they are bringing Dobby back. Get the backup for Bishop that is absolutely needed and keeps Ottenger playing every day.

Saw the Red Wings got Bobby Ryan for a 1 year 1 million dollar deal. Wouldn't have minded that for the Stars, but sounds like he really wanted to go to Detroit.
Roll the Bones
AG
CoolAggie said:

He's not going HOOOOOME!
Kashchei
AG
Krug to the Bloos
Wheatables02
AG
TV Casualty said:

I'm glad they are bringing Dobby back. Get the backup for Bishop that is absolutely needed and keeps Ottenger playing every day.

Saw the Red Wings got Bobby Ryan for a 1 year 1 million dollar deal. Wouldn't have minded that for the Stars, but sounds like he really wanted to go to Detroit.
Bishop should be the backup..
Roll the Bones
AG

Great news!
First Page Refresh
Page 176 of 176

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.