VB loses in 4 to

3,264 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wicked Good Ag
Wicked Good Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Baylor in an exhibition match

Passing was an issue but when we passed well we had a lot of termination on first ball kill

Our back row defense needs help in digging seams especially against an attack that hits over a block

We have the size to play at a level we want this program to be at
We didn't use a lot of different rotations and the sub pattern was the same. I would have like to see the young freshman Lauren Davis on the left side one set and maybe runs 6-2 system one set to see both potential RS in Davis and Rush (saw her for only a few points). Middles stayed the same all the sets as well with none of the new recruits or a starter last year in Patterson playing. Don't know if that was by choice or injury. Baylor is a solid team who will probably be second in Big 12 behind Texas so not surprised to lose that match

Open up actual season against Dayton and Louisville next Friday and Saturday
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
Wicked Good Ag
Win in five over Dayton to open the regular season. Stats are way off in box score so no idea who did what officially. Play a ranked Louisville teamtonight who was dismantled by Florida last night
Gap
AG
Florida beat Dayton in 5 sets tonight. 16-14 in the 5th set. Very tight match.
Gap
AG
#25 Louisville beat the Aggies 3-2.

Next up is a trip to California for a tournament at Pepperdine next Friday and Saturday.
Chapa96
AG
And they were up 2-0.
Wicked Good Ag
They dominated a top 25 team for the first two sets. Enough to make me go to a sports bar to watch Auburn Oregon football. Surprised when I found out that Louisville won the last three sets to win the match.
For the weekend I think we found out that we still need help with production out of the OH2 position hitting percentage wise to move to the next level. And back row defense needs to tighten up a bit more.

Looking back I think the Dayton win will be much more valuable than originally thought and the Louisville loss will be won that on paper got away in the end even though louisville is ranked and Dayton isn't

Cali trip next week... a 3-0 weekend is what I would expect with Pepperdine being the key match.
Then home for a tourney with Texas State UTRGV and Northwestern State which is a bit underwhelming but good for RPI. Texas State will actually be a tough test this season compared to years past

sharpdressedman
Could not finish against Louisville. Learning to close-out matches should have been near the #1 priority during the off-season. Disappointing. Scoring indicates the team fell off a cliff after losing a close third set.
Wicked Good Ag
Went 3-0 in Cali with wins over Cal Baptist, Fairfield and Pepperdine.
Made the switch to having Lauren Davis in the outside who should IMO fill in nicely to replace Hans as the OH1 next season. Rush the highly touted freshman started on the RS and did well

We used various middles in the matches and statistically did very well. Patterson led the team in serving attempts and is by fair the best middle to serve in our arsenal. Our hitting percentage out of the middle has continued to get better with fewer hitting errors from the middle which typically means a better connection is occurring

Thursday and Friday is the Aggie tourney with Texas State, UTRGV and Northwestern State coming to town. Texas State is a solid team the past two seasons and likely higher ranked than us so our home opener will be a tough test. The other two matches should be wins
Going into conference I would love to be 8-2 with only the five set loss to Louisville which we dominated the beginning of the match and likely #3 Texas in the road with wins against Texas State and also Oklahoma before conference play starts

Conference is looking like TAMU is the top team of tier 3 and can push towards Tier 2 status
Tier 1: Kentucky and Florida
Tier 2 : Missouri and Tennessee
and I think we have the pieces to compete favorably with those four
flintdragon
AG
Thanks for the updates. I managed to watch the Pepperdine match online. Looks like we were on point the entire match and would have blown them out of the water even more except we struggled with serve receive at times.

It also seemed like we have more options on attack and Hans doesn't have to shoulder the entire load like the past couple of years.

Any thoughts on our defense?
Wicked Good Ag
I have only seen the Baylor exhibition and also some of the Louisville match on video.

Baylor we didn't play the seams well in back row and were off/slow in reading where the attack was going. And Baylor has a stud OH who hits at different angles that we will see. Baylor just beat Marquette and is likely a top 10 maybe close to top 5 team this season
Also during those matches we had Davis in the right and now she is on the left. And some DS were different

I will see more this week and I think Texas State is a much needed win for purposes of Rpi and the NCAAtourney

I usually watch most of the SEC matches but haven't seen many this year I will say based upon level of play we are fifth in the SEC and if we improve quite a bit we can compete with the top four in matches. Issue will be to win those matches of teams below us and not to drop more than one and maybe win one or two of the four teams above us
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.