Bowling balls

1,397 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by joerobert_pete06
joerobert_pete06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am looking to make my throw more consistent and thinking about buying a new ball. Does anyone have any advice for making this purchase (brand/size, etc)?
The 5200 Acres
AG
All of the name brands make great bowling balls. There really isn't much differentiation in reaction that an amateur could recognize. Then only real difference is the finish on the polished balls.

The key is what you want the ball to do. If the ball you are using currently reads friction quickly and snaps, you may want something that has a smoother reaction. Alternatively (assuming you are throwing a reactive cover stock ball) you could put a mild scuff on it to blend out the reaction. If that works, you don't need another ball. Just realize that over tome the lane itself will shine the ball back up. Out that scuff back on it every 10 games or so.

Three possibilities for a new ball:

1. A reactive ball with a weak core. This will be something with a rG differential of 0.030 or less. All models will list their differential. The higher the differential, the higher the track flare, the stronger the reaction to friction. An example would be a Venom Shock by Motiv. FWIW, I throw all Motiv equipment now. I have thrown Storm, Roto, Brunswick , DV8 and Radical in the past and have not complaints with any of them

2. Strong core but with surface. If you have a lot of conditioner on the lane up front, but clean back ends, option 1 may not read the mid-lane well. In may skid one ball and then snap the next. In that case you want the ball to start to pick up in the mids and slowly transition into the pocket. This is where a high differential reactive ball (0.050+) with 2000 to 4000 surface will work best.

3. A urethane ball. This is your best option if you are in a high friction house. Because the coverstock is not reactive, the response to friction is muted. This is my least favorite option, but I know a lot of guys that are rev dominant that love the look of urethane.

Good luck
joerobert_pete06
AG
Thanks for the feedback
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.