A&M T&F deserves its own forum

2,404 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by tk for tu juan
IPA4Me
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I apologize if this has already been discussed.

Some could offer that A&M Track and Field is the most successful (in terms of NATs) sport at A&M. A&M now has the best outdoor track facility in the country. A&M has one of the best cross country facilities in the county. ESPN and the NCAA must love A&Ms indoor track facility because they have had the National and SEC Championships their several times. A&M has produces world athletes, Olympians and Bowerman Award winner (Jessica Beard), not to numerous All Americans.

I'd like to see TexAgs give Track and Field their own forum and not be just (other sports). Surely if Golf has its own forum Track and Field merits a higher profile. The forum is just a small detail but it could help to elevate T&F at A&M.

The IAAF World Championships will be held this summer. The Olympics are coming in 2020. There is a ton of USATF news out there, youth events, clinics, officiating etc. etc. The forum could be used as a driver to get more people interested in officiating (which A&M needs). In addition, I see Track and Field as sort of a gateway or crossover sport. Many football, basketball and even volleyball athletes have competed in T&F.
BTW. The SEC Network has live coverage of the SEC Outdoor T&F Championships tomorrow from 5 to 9 PM. BTHO of everyone.
hellcat9
AG
Agree 100%
Oogway
Track and Field has something for everyone and lots of body types: big, little, tall, small, strong, you name it.

Would love a dedicated forum for Track, Field, and XC.
bigfoot10s
AG
IPA4Me said:

The forum is just a small detail but it could help to elevate T&F at A&M.

I was with you til this. I agree that they are one of the most successful programs on campus, but to think that a forum would elevate T&F is hilarious.
coldmoose
A forum for Track & Field would be great.
Rock1982
AG
Yes.
Raven
S
Good call
Oogway
Is anyone else watching the IAAF relays in Japan? What do you think of the 2x2x400 meter relay? Women and men (mixed teams). Interesting idea.

Edit-for those of you that missed it, teams can pick male or female lead off. Baton passes to opposite gender. Donovan Brazier was the male runner for USA and the team finished first. He had to come from behind on Kenya (who used a male lead off) and make up quite a gap, but it's well, Donovan Brazier and he's like the Flash and Dash rolled into one.
tk for tu juan
Running the woman first seemed to work best if you have the top 800m runner on the mens side, even with a very bad exchange from the third to anchor leg
Oogway
Yes it did. Can you imagine if they ran Sammy Watson and Donovan Brazier? Two fast smooth runners.

Edit-Aggies all over the place at this meet. So happy to see them continuing to shine.
tk for tu juan
Haha, Mylik Kerley running from last to almost first on the second leg of the mixed 4x400.
Oogway
I think I like these races as they add a little "strategery".

Get ready for the shuttle hurdles.
Houstonag
AG
Yes, get 'er done.
bat61
AG
Absolutely. Agree fully. Reports today have been informative. Men have 31 points, I believe, and the women have 24. Where do those totals fit in the overall team standings.
Artimus Gordon
SEC country becomes track and field and cross country!
aggierun
WOULD LOVE IT!!!!!!
RAB87
AG
Agreed. And, with the attention of the new T&F facility, now is the time.
SachseAg
AG
I'd be interested. T&F/XC is the only reason I visit the Other Sports forum.
nereus
AG
IPA4Me said:

The IAAF World Championships will be held this summer. The Olympics are coming in 2020. There is a ton of USATF news out there, youth events, clinics, officiating etc. etc. The forum could be used as a driver to get more people interested in officiating (which A&M needs). In addition, I see Track and Field as sort of a gateway or crossover sport. Many football, basketball and even volleyball athletes have competed in T&F.
BTW. The SEC Network has live coverage of the SEC Outdoor T&F Championships tomorrow from 5 to 9 PM. BTHO of everyone.
If you really want track and field to get its own forum, start posting all of those things here in this forum. Not just spam posts, but actual posts and topics that are relevant and contribute to the forum. If you start doing that and start pushing other threads off the "Other Sports" forum because there is so much Track and Field posting, Track and Field will get its own forum.

People have asked like this before and staff hasn't made a new forum for them. If you show staff there is demand for a Track and Field forum though, I bet they will create one.
oklacityag75
AG
I said the same thing several years ago. We've won multiple National Championships and have many Olympic stars and champions.

Randy Matson was first to throw shot over 70'. Randy Barnes still holds World Record in the shot. Curtis Mills in quarter mile. Andre Cason and Floyd Heard were world champions.
Pahdz
SachseAg said:

I'd be interested. T&F/XC is the only reason I visit the Other Sports forum.

Same, and moreso for professional T&F. I try to post track stuff on Health and Fitness sometimes and there is some interest over there
alanbynum
AG
I would love it.
e=mc2
AG
It's by far our strongest program! I agree!
tk for tu juan
The USA T&F sprints are in good shape for next year

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.