Scattershooting while wondering where in the world is Randy Matson, World Champion!

1,578 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by oklaunion
Upperdeck Critic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I followed Randy Matson when he was breaking records for the shot put at A&M. Watched him win the silver medal in the '64 Olympics in Japan and the gold medal in the '68 Olympics in Mexico City. Remembered when he played his junior year for Shelby Metcalf in basketball. He was Executive Director of the Former Students Association. Can a good Aggie bring me up to date on him? I always liked the man. I hope he is well!
tk for tu juan
Hang on, its not 7:45 yet
Raven
S
Randy is doing just fine, living in College Station.
sharpdressedman
My dad saw him throw 70' 7" at Kyle Field, as best as I can recall. Randy was throwing from the area of the north end zone, and my dad was sitting in the horseshoe about 50 feet from him. It was a huge thrill for him, and Randy, too, I'm sure.
oklaunion
He was at the dedication of the new outdoor stadium a couple of weeks ago.

The next meet, this weekend, is suppose to have some beautiful weather. I encourage anyone who loves track and field to come out. For those who have walkers or are otherwise handicapped, there are several elevators that will take them up to the mezzanine and the view is awesome. The sprint and high hurdle races are in the infield so everyone can see them without having to stand. Pat's handprint on this stadium is apparent.

This is alumni weekend and many of the past athletes are planning to attend and may be introduced.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.