T&F Walk-On Process?

2,157 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ed Marcinkiewicz
Pops81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for some direction as to walk-on process.

A colleague has a son who is accepted into Engineering program (will be a fish Fall 2019).

My colleague has asked about walk-on process for A&M T&F. Apparently my colleague's son went to state last year in shot put (placed 4th).

Very smart kid, again already accepted into Engineering program. Parents just looking for some direction as to the walk-on process.
TRM
AG
Have them email Coach de la Garza and fill out the recruit questionnaire. They should be able to get to the email on the staff page and the questionnaire is on the recruiting page.

Probably the biggest pain will be the NCAA athlete requirements.
Pops81
AG
Thank you for the insight. Will pass along to my colleague.
Look Out Below
AG
They do have some minimum performance standards that prospective athletes must reach to be on the team/tryout as their roster is quite huge.
Pops81
AG
Thank you Look Out for your insight as well.

No doubt with a Coach Henry team, the bar is high. (No pun intended.)

And competing against the best of the best on the good guys T&F team will be a challenge.
EngrAg14
AG

Hollywood81 said:

Thank you Look Out for your insight as well.

No doubt with a Coach Henry team, the bar is high. (No pun intended.)

And competing against the best of the best on the good guys T&F team will be a challenge.
I was thinking about walking on myself and emailed Coach de la Garza during college for discus/shotput.
The number he gave me for discus would have taken the silver medal the year before and was better than anyone else on scholarship by 20ft+

I decided to look elsewhere (football) since I'd rather have someone be real with me than to beat around the bush to not want to look at a walk on.
Bubortho
Probably best you did look elsewhere- since more than likely Coach coach gave you a number or distance for a high school shot which is 12lb not the 16lb college shot. Sorry you could not compute that in your engineering brain.
Ed Marcinkiewicz
There are a number of things that enter in to the walkon process. If the event area has a large number of athletes already on the team the performance required will be higher as you don't want to just acquire bodies on the team. If the area is short in numbers at the time you might see them take a weaker performance. There is also consideration given to the size of the athlete and what other sports they participated in. Athletes who only do one sport are looked at far more critically than an athlete that does multiple sports. Club coaches who try and get athletes to specialize are doing them a grave disservice. Single sport athletes tend to have far higher incidence of repetitive use injuries and are far more difficult to make technical improvements with because their muscle memory is so ingrained. In the throws the size factor is very important as the implements are much larger in college. A smaller athlete can be very successful in high school with a 12lb shot or a 1.6kg discus but moving to the 16lb. and 2kg implements are tough if you don't have requisite size and strength. I hope this helps.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.