Rugby Sevens

1,378 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by rugger74
TheMasterplan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anybody interested in this?

USA has been dominating this year and they just finished up the tournament in Las Vegas by winning first. They've made the finals every single round and finally got one. It's a great sport to watch and I definitely wish I could go a tournament one of these days.

https://www.world.rugby/sevens-series/standings/mens

Carlin Isles - Football athlete turned Rugby Sevens player
rugger74
AG
Watched the matches over the weekend. USA played extremely well and is becoming a force in 7's. Unfortunately there is no carryover in our play in 15's.
purplehayes
Top of the world in 7s right now. 74 is right... Eagles 15s are - lacking.
TheMasterplan
Rugby sevens in Vancouver now.
TheMasterplan
It was probably best USA lost that match - if they can dispatch England, which they usually do, they only have to face France or Samoa in the semis creating an easier path to the finals.

rugger74
AG
Purple, have not seen you posting about Rugby in a while. MLR seems to be gathering a little momentum aided by CBSsports. NBC is also doing a great job with the Six Nations.
powerbelly
AG
rugger74 said:

Watched the matches over the weekend. USA played extremely well and is becoming a force in 7's. Unfortunately there is no carryover in our play in 15's.
Hopefully 7s will drive youth interest in 15s long term. Sleeping giant...
purplehayes
74- I don't live near Glendale any more. Not much MLR in Germany. I'm in B/CS for another few weeks, then back to reffing for Rugby Deutschland. I still follow scores, but only get the European Leagues on TV for some reason.
rugger74
AG
Thanks for the reply Purple and glad you stay involved with Rugby. Maybe the Germans can progress in Rugby like their success in Soccer. And in response to Powerbelly, 7s are completely different than 15s and require a different size and skill concept. Maybe Purple can give a better example of the difference in style.
powerbelly
AG
I understand the difference in styles. I am just hoping grassroots interest in rugby increases.
rugger74
AG
powerbelly, I should have added some info. Austin area has some high school teams and Round Rock has a team. A rugby clinic is done in conjunction with either the Y or park system. I believe pee wee instruction is also starting up in the area High schools in DFW and Houston are also strong.
Nick Toohey
AG
rugger74 said:

Should be pumping all resources into 7's, Go chase Olympic Glory!!
rugger74
AG
If by chance you watched Wales v Ireland, that's how 15 man rugby is played. The US has a long way in terms of development to reach this level of play.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.