NCAA Track & Field Championship Rankings & Predictions

11,183 Views | 170 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by oklaunion
JimInBCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was wondering where those 2 points came from...I guess It's between USC and Georgia.
aggiepublius
AG
At least she acknowledged her mistake on the discus not being finished.
aggiepublius
AG
Yes. But USC has the 6th best time of the teams in the relay.
tk for tu juan
Horrible 3rd pass for USC
tk for tu juan
Wow wow wow USC wins
JimInBCS
Holy ****
aggiepublius
AG
And let's see if they is a review...
Hand Of God
AG
Whoa.
Hand Of God
AG
The USC pass on Kentucky looked a little suspect.
tk for tu juan
Can Georgia protest the race?
aggiepublius
AG
Also Florida got bumped around as well.
Hand Of God
AG
The Kentucky girl slapped Ellis from USC with the baton after that contact on the pass.
Ed Marcinkiewicz
Yes Georgia can protest. Race will not be overturned. Not enough to DQ USC.
Hand Of God
AG
Looks like A&M will finish in 19th no matter the protest.
tk for tu juan
It's listed as scored now on the live results
Hand Of God
AG
Apparently Sydney McLaughlin announced she's going pro.
JimInBCS
Dang it was hoping to see her again in Aggieland next year for indoor (and maybe outdoor with the new stadium).
oragator
aggiepublius said:

Also Florida got bumped around as well.
The funny part is that I would bet money we didn't protest at least in part because we didn't want to hand UGA a title.
Hand Of God
AG
USC's Michael Norman also appears to be going pro.
Houstonag
AG
I am fed up with Oregon getting preferential treatment for several years. Their weather is horrible. Weather in Texas at this time with running late in the afternoon and evenings is fine. At least the athletes have a better chance of not getting injured.
Pahdz
Hand Of God said:

Apparently Sydney McLaughlin announced she's going pro.

Least shocking news ever. She's such a bad ass.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
mullokmotx said:

Happy for Shaina making nationals in her senior year. I hope the coaches wok to improve Gittens 800 time. A 10 second improvement is achievable and worth about 140 points.
Can you enlighten us on how the Hept and Decath are scored ?
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
JimInBCS
Here's a good calculator...you can play with it entering various marks to see to what score it corresponds. Tip...field event distances entered in meters

https://www.usatf.org/statistics/calculators/combinedEventsScoring/
aggiepublius
AG
Or here it is in table form:

http://www.ten7events.com/eng/heptathlon/heptathlon-points-table/

http://www.ten7events.com/eng/decathlon/decathlon-points-table/

Basically in the decathlon and heptathlon, an athlete is competing against a standard of "perfection" for each of the events. If they were to be "perfect" for that event, they would score 1200 points.

So in the 100m dash for the decathlon, if the athlete ran 9.50 they would receive 1200 points for that event. (n.b. the current WR for 100m is 9.58 by Usain Bolt).

Each of the events is scored that way and the points totaled for their score.

However, when watching a meet, the way it is described often seems to change a bit for the last event (1500m for men/800m for women). Everyone starts speaking in sense of what time or differential it will take to be the overall winner. The run is still scored against the table but you can essentially convert the point differential to time difference as you try to figure out what it will take to win.

Say there is a 100 point differential between the 1st and 2nd place going into the final event. According to the table for the 1500m, there might be a 13 sec difference in scoring 800 its and 900 points. So the guy in second place will have to win by 13 secs to score 100 more points than leader.
Look Out Below
AG
There is info out there that USC's Rai Benjamin and Florida's Grant Holloway are also going pro. Keandre Bates & Holloway are pretty much the reason Florida has won two NCAA titles and an SEC title the last two years. We were second two of those three times. If true, I will be glad to not see the two of them competing against us any more. Those guys were killers.
aggiepe
If we have to be competitive and compete for a championship on the women side next year, our field athletes must be a little more consistent. There are too many foul throws and foul jumps from our athletes. They have great potential in the discus, javelin, long jump and triple jump but need to work on consistency.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Thanks , Jim and Publius !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
oragator
Look Out Below said:

There is info out there that USC's Rai Benjamin and Florida's Grant Holloway are also going pro. Keandre Bates & Holloway are pretty much the reason Florida has won two NCAA titles and an SEC title the last two years. We were second two of those three times. If true, I will be glad to not see the two of them competing against us any more. Those guys were killers.

Holloway is coming back.

https://floridagators.com/news/2018/6/20/track-and-field-grant-holloway-authors-letter-announcing-return-to-gators.aspx
Look Out Below
AG
Welp, that sucks for us. Great letter by the kid though. He gets why these days can be some of the greatest of his life.
oklaunion
Explain something to me. How can Gabe throw a NR in HS and basically do nothing his first year here in shot/disc and then throw 200+ at Jr Nationals last week?
Look Out Below
AG
Different size/weighted implements
oklaunion
Jr Nationals has a different weighted discus from college?

When I just checked, Junior weight is 1.75 kg and collegiate is 2.0 kg. Mystery solved.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.