A&M/Mississippi State Men's tennis

1,708 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Raven
Raven
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
The Aggies take on the Bulldogs Friday at 6 at the Mitchell Tennis Center. This match is for money, marvels and chalk as both teams are undefeated in conference. The Bulldogs beat us twice last year, so we know how tough this will be. Weather looks dicey, so that could be a factor. Come out to the courts if you can.
bigfoot10s
AG
Lost the doubles point. Any idea why we changed the lineup for a big match like this?

From a friend there, Kypson is playing very uninspired tennis.
agwarrior
AG
Ags win!!
Ags76
Chapa96
AG
SEC CHAMPS!!!!!
tleeper
AG
Aguilar with another gutty win. I was (pleasantly) surprised at how many MSU players had one-handed backhands. They had good form on them as well. Yeah, yeah, I'm old school.
aggie67,74&76
AG
Whoop!!!!!!!
SA68AG
AG
Great win over a quality team. SEC champions !!!
tleeper
AG
MSU was 16-1 coming into the match. They were indeed a quality team.
tleeper
AG
Smith wins 7-5 on Court 6 to make it 5-2 Ags. Smith served for the 2nd set, but lost the set in a tiebreak. He was up a break in the 3rd, but lost it. Good to see him find a way to win in the end.
Raven
S
Solid win against a good MSU team. Doubles was very flat. New lineup had mixed results. Court two was not competitive . Will be interesting to see what we do Sunday with doubles. Singles came out with a lot of energy. Patrick had a tough match up at one. Everyone else seized the momentum in the first set. We need to take care of business Sunday and get ready for conference and NCAA's.
bigfoot10s
AG
Raven said:

Solid win against a good MSU team. Doubles was very flat. New lineup had mixed results. Court two was not competitive . Will be interesting to see what we do Sunday with doubles. Singles came out with a lot of energy. Patrick had a tough match up at one. Everyone else seized the momentum in the first set. We need to take care of business Sunday and get ready for conference and NCAA's.

Does tough matchup for Patrick equal less than a good effort? He's #6 in the country. He shouldn't lose 3,3. Seems like he mails it in at times. The person I know who watched said he Had almost no fight and wasn't even moving balls from the court after missed serves.
blake2003
AG
Patrick is doing his part by essentially filling a spot at 1. It appears he doesn't care at all. I don't know if he's injured or something, but he missed so many gimmes during his doubles and singles match it's clear something is wrong.

Other than that, what a match. Arthur was so strong... had so many opportunities to break his opponent and kept trying and trying. And Val just doing Val things. One of my favorite things to watch is Jordi encouraging Juan Carlos while playing his own match. He's an underrated cog on this team.

And Juan Carlos is just a guaranteed point.

We are competitive 2-6 in every match. If things bounce our way we could make a great run in the tournament.
Raven
S
In Patrick's defense the State player beat him 2 and 2 this fall at a tournament . Patrick knew it was going to be a tough match, but everyone was disappointed in his play. For whatever reason he did not play good tennis and it had predictable results against a good player.
bigfoot10s
AG
I think he has a chance to win the singles title this year. But to do that, he's gonna have to be still mentally with the team and not already on the tour. He is obviously extremely talented, but mentally he doesn't seem to be there. Didn't he get a code violation for racket abuse early in the singles?

That attitude of "I lost to this guy so I've already lost this match" won't do well on the tour. You might play the same dude 5-7 times a year.
Raven
S
Agreed. Yes he got a code violation for throwing his racket and he seemed pretty flustered the entire match. When I talked to him about an hour before the match he seemed fine and looking forward to the challenge. Simply did not play well and probably got down and did not ever get in the match. To his credit he was really involved with the other matches after he got beat, and seems to be well liked by the other guys. Hopefully better tomorrow.
Chef Demas 2020
AG
I was at the match don't get why people say Patrick doesn't care. Patrick's opponent was just that a much better than he is.

I would be interested in hearing Denton's logic for mixing up the doubles teams for the MSU match. That was a head scratcher. However, I don't we would have won the doubles point regardless - all of our players are baseline player and we just don't have many aggressive vollers on our roster.
bigfoot10s
AG
Ohio State is notorious for playing two back on serve and return in doubles. Always thought it was odd at that high of a level, but it works for them.

I'd love to know why the doubles lineup was changed too, not that we were that strong the other way. But that big of a match, it's odd to make that change.
Raven
S
After the South Carolina match the boys indicated they would like to try another doubles line up. Coaches said we will see how it goes. Certainly not well on court two, but the main thing is we seemed very flat. Have not talked with anyone since last night on the plans going forward, but we don't have much time to figure it out. We may just not be a good doubles team this year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.