NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championship 2018

4,002 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggierun
triniaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The men and women accepted list are out. See links below

The Aggies just missed out qualifying in several events

Women 200m
Brenessa Thompson 18th
Diamond Spaulding 19th

I really thought some of the 400m runners would have scratched the 200m which would have let both Aggies in but it seems like both Linna Irby and Sydney McLaughlin are doing the 200m/400m double.
Linna Irby does not have to run the 4x400m relay so it might be easier for her but Sydney will be running the 200m, 400m and 4x400m relay

Women Indoor Pentathlon
Shaina Burns 17th

Women Distance Medley Relay
Aggies 14th

On the men side nobody really narrowly missed out on qualifying. The DMR and Alex Riba in the mile was probably the closest

http://www.rtspt.com/ncaa/d1indoor18/women_accepted.htm

http://www.rtspt.com/ncaa/d1indoor18/men_accepted.htm
Oogway
That's really too bad- I was hoping Riba might squeak in there, he was having a pretty good season.

Hopefully those athletes will keep that in mind during outdoors and get after those marks! Best of luck to all.
tk for tu juan
If it goes exactly like the seed times (not likely), then I'm calculating the points as:
Tech 35
Florida 30
USC 28
Georgia 27
A&M 23
FSU 23
Arky 20

25 of Tech's points come in 200m and HJ
Look Out Below
AG
This thing will be as wide open as any NCAA meet in a while. Going to come down to whoever has the best two days out of that top group (versus someone screwing up and opening the door for others).
tk for tu juan
Yep, when looking at the maximum possible points each team could earn, Tech was the highest at 94 and Arkansas was next highest at 80. Big point swings if the 9-16 qualifiers for the teams earn some points.

My initial gut feeling is USC wins the men's title and Georgia wins the women's title.
Oogway
USC has been building for a while. This may be the year it pays off. I hope all of the Aggie qualifiers have their best meet.
Look Out Below
AG
Hard to count out Holloway, Bates and their 4x4. Those three alone could score nearly 50 points if they all hit on the same weekend. Hopefully we have something to say about them not doing that.
oklaunion
If GA tickets are still available, can one direct purchase them from the ticket office at Reed? I don't have a phone that will accept them electronically and I don't think they will mail them this late.
tk for tu juan
You can buy them with the flashseats option, enter your credit card or DL on the flashseats website, and then use that same credit card/DL at the door to enter the stadium. No need for the app on the phone
oklaunion
Thanks. I just called the ticket office and they will also sell hard copies.
oklaunion
Just got tickets. They still have some reserved left even though they didn't show up online. Sections 6 and 14.
MidTnAg
AG
Just hope it sells out.
mullokmotx
AG
Got an all session ticket in Section 14 this morning.
tk for tu juan
Both Kerley and Grant are in lane 3 for their heats in the 400m. At least Kerley has Bloomfield in lane 4 to pace against. USC chances in the championship require at least one of their other 400m runners to join Norman in the final. We will know Tech's chances after the 200m semis. Hopefully one of their vaulters do not score points
Ed Marcinkiewicz
Glad to see Tech wearing the Corky logo on their uniforms. Basketball did likewise as did their football team on their helmets in the game against Texas. Corky Oglesby was a long time track coach at Texas Tech then became a fund raiser for the university and did color commentary for basketball when Coach Knight was there. Corky started his coaching career at A&M under Shelby Metcalf and was know primarily as a recruiter. He was as good a guy as you'd ever meet. Very classy of Texas Tech to honor him that way. He passed away this fall from pancreatic cancer.
Oogway
Friend of RCII
AG
TV for Friday NCAA track?
TRM
AG
ESPN3 I believe.
TRM
AG
The 800 final for the pentathlon is at 5:30. Gittens is currently in 3rd with a 65 point lead over 4th.
tk for tu juan
Both of Georgia's mens 60m runners make the final, they were both seeded outside of points position.
TRM
AG
Great last 2 rounds of jumps. Holloway takes the lead with an 8.13. Brown jumps 8.12 in the 6th round and then Williams jumps 8.19 on his last jump to win,
mullokmotx
AG
Gittens ran a 2:35 in the pentathlon 800 and finished 8th overall, which is pretty good for a freshman. Dixon not making the final in the men's 800 really hurt our chances of winning the meet. I also thought we would get more than 5.5 points in the pole vault. Fantastic final long jump for Williams for the win. Morris and Fray both through in the women's 800. Really good kick by Fray over the last 200 in her heat. Got a program and counted 113 schools here with 627 athletes.
Look Out Below
AG
Can't say enough about how amazing Williams was on the last jump. The definition of big-time and clutch.

Wyatt jumped the exact same height that got him second last year and this year he ties for fifth. The field was just way better this time around. Getting both guys over 18 feet is nothing to be disappointed about.

It's not 100% impossible but we will need an act of God to have a chance tomorrow, even if Mylik and the 4x400 perform well. Sure would have liked to have seen Dixon in that 800 final.
Oogway
I was really pulling for them in all the races. And wow, sometimes the long jump is difficult to see from my vantage point, but an official stepped to the side right when Williams jumped and I could see him fly and the mark and it was amazing. That was fun!

I was relieved the really loud music wasn't playing- - I prefer the sounds of the meet itself. I know some athletes like it, but the drama of the meet is so compelling when the quiet crescendos into a roar when your favorite rounds the turn for the finish (or clears the bar).
Looking forward to today.

Oh and was disappointed when a lot of fans left at the start of the 5k. Less than fifteen minutes to watch the top athletes in a distance that takes the average person a half an hour at least.
tk for tu juan
Karissa Schweizer is a cyborg

The Georgia mens team had a good enough first day to create a possibility of a double champion. Looking forward to the 4x400, hopefully A&M, Florida, and USC do not DQ each other at the 200m mark.
mullokmotx
AG
I agree about Schweizer. I clocked her last mile at 4:38. I didn't realize that about Wyatt in the Pole Vault. If Pat Henry is happy with placing 2 guys in the event then I am happy. In the men's DMR I think the VT anchor ran under 4 minutes. In the women's DMR the anchor was about 4:34.
coldmoose
Karissa really is something.
Really good.
tk for tu juan
So what is this about a slow track? Haha
TRM
AG
Meet went as expected for us. The men should be up there with Florida when we add Triki and our throwers. I don't see the women moving up that many spots to compete with Georgia. The best they can hope for is Top 5 right now.
Hand Of God
AG
Men finish 5th. Women finish tied for 10th.
tk for tu juan
I was taking photographs when Cunningham broke his leg. Just happened to zoom in to see if the photo was in focus and saw his foot facing 90 degrees and misplaced. He was having his best meet, hopefully he can continue his career.
oragator
texaggierm said:

Meet went as expected for us. The men should be up there with Florida when we add Triki and our throwers. I don't see the women moving up that many spots to compete with Georgia. The best they can hope for is Top 5 right now.
We also didn't have Sani Brown for this indoor season.

Both teams are going to be better.
tk for tu juan
That 4x400 lived up to its hype. One of the best sports moments I will probably ever see in person.
Hand Of God
AG
USC won the 4x400 with a world best but A&M set the world record since the four Aggie runners were all of the same nationality.
Oogway
Yessssss! That is two years in a row when I have been an unashamed track geek yelling my lungs out because it is really going to come down to the last little inch. Last year it was for the team title and this year as I was eyeing the clock I was thinking it was gonna be soclose to sub 3.

I was thoroughly enjoying the high jump, it was so exciting and then the absolute devastation when Cunningham got hurt. Really hope he will have a complete recovery. And after your description tk, I am glad my view was obstructed when he planted.

I'm thinking Watson and Fray are going to be the bomb diggity if they stay injury free.

Elijah Hall had some good races for Houston.

And as a distance runner, I agree, Karissa Schweizer is a pixie robot. And how about Josh Kerr? He could do this for the next two years?

All in all, while the team placements might have been disappointing for some Aggie fans, such are the ups and downs of track and field. It all has to come together in so many different ways that it is magic when it does isn't it?!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.