Olympic Hockey

1,519 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Log
Gman7709
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For the hockey fans among us, did you hear Kovalchuck's quote after Russia's 4-0 win over USA?

"After the last game in Sochi, I think you guys are still showing the highlights of Oshie scoring those shootout goals, right?. So hopefully you're gonna change that now."

Kovalchuck had 2 goals in the game.

keepin' it classy in Korea I see. OAR, give me a break....
AggieTFA06
AG
The Olympic hockey isn't so interesting without the NHL players.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
Gman7709
AG
agree!

If the NHL is serious about growing the game in the US, they need to allow NHL players to play in the Olympics.
MidTnAg
AG
It was an extremely selfish decision by the NHL.
The NHL automatically gave the hockey gold medals to the Russians.
AggieTFA06
AG
agreed with Gman and MidTnAg.

I have to admit that the past 2 olympics featuring NHL players have actually made me a little more interested in hockey.

NHL made a VERY bad decision not to include NHL players. Hope the NBA doesn't follow suit.
nereus
AG
While I think the NHL should have taken a break and let the players play just because, I am skeptical how much it really grows the game domestically. I think it was selfish of the NHL but at the same time I don't think it was probably a bad business decision by them. They had 5 cycles of data showing them that the NHL didn't benefit from the arrangement.

The NHL did propose some solutions that I thought were pretty reasonable. For example, letting them show video highlights on its website to promote their own players and try and transfer some of that momentum into NHL viewers and ticket sales. That seems like reasonable compensation for completely altering their schedule and an increased risk of injury to their players to accommodate the Olympics.

I think both the NHL and the IOC are to blame for not getting a deal worked out, but honestly I feel the NHL proposed some perfectly reasonable solutions that the IOC passed on.
nereus
AG
The Olympics takes place during the NBA's off season. I don't think there is really any risk of that happening.
Kashchei
AG
I have no problem with what Kovy said. Russia got embarrassed in Sochi and he feels some redemption. I like Olympic trash talking!
Gman7709
AG
That's fine. He's always been a loudmouth.

Still, it's not exactly the same level of tournament as Sochi.
Gman7709
AG
If they're not going to agree with the NHL's proposal, then the IOC should not allow any professionals to participate in the tournament from any professional league. make it ALL amateurs.

that's my USA biased opinion for you!
AggieTFA06
AG
OAR talking trash about beating an American team of non-NHL players is like tu talking trash after beating kansas in football.

Nothing to be proud of.
Kashchei
AG
Gman7709 said:

That's fine. He's always been a loudmouth.

Still, it's not exactly the same level of tournament as Sochi.

True, but if not the US then I want OAR to win gold. The whole situation is just so... Russian! "You ban country? No problem! We still find way to use professional athlete and beat you!"
monarch
S
Crap
Peace for Ukraine!
Agnzona
Wow that was some of the worst penalty attempts ever.
Scientific
AG
Its only when its US hockey when I give crap....but damn were those penalty attempts weak.
monarch
S
Kinda like our men's basketball team: you know what's coming so it's easy to defend against!
Peace for Ukraine!
Pahdz
fantastic game right now for the gold USA vs. Canada women, in sudden death OT now
Agnzona
With just 4 players dumping it doesn't seem to work at all.
Agnzona
USA has dominated OT would be a shame to lose now.
Dalton Hughes
Staff
AG
Agnzona said:

USA has dominated OT would be a shame to lose now.

Don't worry.
Agnzona
What a move and what a win!
TshirtVulture
Well that was awesome!!!
Pahdz
Dat game winner
Log
AG
Slo-mo of the winning goal. Absolutely nuts.

v
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.