Aggie Mens Tennis signs top player in the nation!

9,456 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Dr.Rumack
bigfoot10s
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Patrick Kypson will be joining the men's tennis program this week, will play immediately. Easily the biggest recruit we've ever gotten!

http://12thman.com/news/2018/1/5/kypson-signs-with-texas-am-mens-tennis.aspx
Raven
S
Have been anxiously awaiting this announcement. Great job of recruiting by Coach Denton. Look forward to seeing Patrick play this spring!
MidTnAg
AG
Aggie Tennis Recruits
Quote:

Tennis Recruiting Network
First number is the rankings of USA Seniors by Tennis Recruiting Network
ITF Rankings are in parentheses

#1 (32) Patrick Kypson --- Raleigh, NC
#24 (427) Noah Schachter --- Wesley Chapel, FL
#63 Austin Abbrat --- Spring, TX
#75 (1009) Jack Pulliam --- Manhattan Beach, CA

(171) Guido Marson --- Italy
Alejandro Verdi Asensi --- Spain
SA68AG
AG
Wow ! Great job, Coach Denton !
Chapa96
AG
Let the tennis season begin! But first Im headed to the Aus Open in a few weeks. (just had to mention it )

Looking forward to following the Ags this season!
Rock1982
Mike Elko
Rongagin71
agwarrior
AG
This team is stacked!
SlickRick
If anyone can screw up a stacked team, Steve Denton can
bigfoot10s
AG
SlickRick said:

If anyone can screw up a stacked team, Steve Denton can

Took you long enough
SA68AG
AG
Where will he play in the lineup? Top 3 ?
SA68AG
AG
To answer my own question, Kypson won his match against Arizona State playing at number 1 singles.
Raven
S
Can anyone remember the last time a freshman opened his career playing on court one for the Aggies?
SA68AG
AG
Raven said:

Can anyone remember the last time a freshman opened his career playing on court one for the Aggies?
I can't. However if you look a Kypson's world ranking it's easy to understand why. His ATP ranking is comparable to what most NCAA singles champions have. Obviously not predicting an NCAA championship but he should have a successful season at #1.

We actually may be strong enough at the top to make a serious run in the NCAAs this year.
SA68AG
AG
Maybe Rafael de Mesa ?
Raven
S
That is a good guess. I don't remember where he started, but pretty sure he ended on one court.
MidTnAg
AG
ITA Rankings (1/17/18):

#4. Georgia
#7. TAMU
#9. Florida
#14. Mississippi State
#20. South Carolina

Kypson's defeating ASU's #41 ITA ranked player was a great way to start his Aggie career.
RodgerDodger
The word on the street is that he will only play in a fraction of the matches this spring. I am curious as to why. Very reliable source told me this, but didn't want to elaborate with any details as to why. Doesn't make much sense.
bigfoot10s
AG
RodgerDodger said:

The word on the street is that he will only play in a fraction of the matches this spring. I am curious as to why. Very reliable source told me this, but didn't want to elaborate with any details as to why. Doesn't make much sense.

I've heard the same from two reliable sources as well. He is he future of American tennis and USTA doesn't want him worn out before he goes to the tour.
MidTnAg
AG
bigfoot10s said:

RodgerDodger said:

I've heard the same from two reliable sources as well. He is he future of American tennis and USTA doesn't want him worn out before he goes to the tour.
How is playing collegiate tennis is going to "wear out" a super-talented 18-year old?
This doesn't make any sense. At least, not to me.

There has to be another reason (or reasons).
Hopefully his college career is not going to be just a part-time, one-semester fling.
bigtimeag1977
From what I have heard, before he ever committed to A&M, he was guaranteed a 100% scholarship to complete his undergraduate degree and also to play #1. He will only play for less than half of the spring season. Denton will take him to a handful of pro tournaments during the spring season as well. The USTA worked this deal out with Denton and that is why they agreed to him coming here. Who wouldn't sign up for that deal!
SA68AG
AG
Seems like a tricky deal in terms of team morale. One kid gets a full ride and only plays half as much as kids getting 25% to 50% rides.

Hopefully he's a good kid and the other players all buy into it.
RodgerDodger
Hard to believe that this is ok with the NCAA rules and all. Also, how does the university allow a kid to receive 4-5 years of free schooling and only has to play one semester. Certainly this isn't the case.
carl spacklers hat
Probably through a combination of primarily academic scholarship money paired with some tennis scholarship money (I think tennis scholarships are renewed annually, too, but I may be off on that count). It is not uncommon for programs with limited athletic scholarship money to find academic money to close the gap.
RodgerDodger
Yes, I understand for the year that you are playing for your team makes sense. Not for years that you are not competing unless of course the student athlete has run out of eligibility.
Chapa96
AG
Looks like we signed the #2 class for 2018.

Tennis Signs #2 Class

Bringing in 5 signees.
SA68AG
AG
The future looks very bright !
CUtiger_butA&Mtennis
all quiet on the western front?

A&M men playing at #2 Ohio State right now

live scores:

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-tennis/live-stats.html
bigfoot10s
AG
Men lose 4-3 to tOSU. Always a tough indoors team
SlickRick
The aggies looked out coached at the end.
Pac12Aggie

Sister of JJ Wolf (Ohio St #2) tweeted this, hope it's not true, really unclassy move. Hate to see it from anybody, especially an Ag
SlickRick
Steve Denton is a man of class and he would never tolerate this behavior
blake2003
AG
I was watching the end of that match. The cameras weren't that great so I can't confirm or deny that happened. Patrick went right to shake his hand... what you could see was JJ rip his shirt off and scream like a mad man after the handshake. Maybe that was why? No idea. Was an incredibly close match.
ag50
AG
Go to Instagram oldrowofficail, it's clear as day, kid should be suspended for a long time, OSU message boards blasting A&M coaches
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.