Volleyball rules question

1,122 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by flintdragon
aggiebrad94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last night during a freshman volleyball (so you know it is THAT critical). Score is 24-23 - daughter's team is about to force game 3. We are sitting behind the first referee.

Ball crosses the net and lands outside the side line but before the back line. The back line judge signals IN, and the side line judge signals OUT. For about 20 seconds, the first referee ONLY looks at back line judge and signals ball is in. Fans are shouting and coach is shouting to look at side line judge. Finally, first referee looks at the side line judge, gets flustered and calls for a replay.

Score goes to 24-24 and other team wins next 2 points to take match.

I don't understand why first referee calls for replay. If one line judge calls the ball out, wouldn't that mean the ball was indeed out?
Wicked Good Ag
aggiebrad94 said:

Finally, first referee looks at the side line judge, gets flustered and calls a replay

You answered your own question. At that point you call both line judges over and discuss if you want to make sure that one saw it out and then signal out but you will likely have to convey the information to the losing team/coach
aggiebrad94
AG
So do you agree that the correct call would have been OUT - not call for a replay?
flintdragon
AG
IMO, ideally, it would be called out. But the line judges are almost always players and you can't trust them.

My kid's previous game was hilarious. One line judge was not paying attention on several calls. Our team serves and it clearly lands in (somewhat close though). Everyone including up ref looks at the girl. She looks over at her school's coach who signals out. She then raises her flag out. LOL.

Didn't matter at least because my kid's freshman team is stacked and won easily.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.