mcgregor - mayweather

12,659 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 92Ag95
Olsen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Props to McGregor for lasting longer than what most boxing analysts predicted.
Texaggie7nine
I think it was because Connor was so unusual, swapping stances, exc, and no film for mayweather to go from he took longer than usual to size up connor.
7nine
La Bamba
AG
Can't blame Connor. Good performance out of him. Now, will the rematch move to the Octagon? One can only hope.
Paradise Ag
AG
Weak stoppage by the ref. Watched the replay. McGregor never took a solid shot down the stretch.
mm98
AG
La Bamba said:

Can't blame Connor. Good performance out of him. Now, will the rematch move to the Octagon? One can only hope.
Lord no. Floyd wouldn't ever agree to that.
Olsen
AG
This fight was more entertaining than the Mayweather vs. Pacquiao fight from 2015.
TAMUallen
AG
Stoppage was horrible. If it needed to end then, he missed stoppage two previous times before it
La Bamba
AG
mm98 said:

La Bamba said:

Lord no. Floyd wouldn't ever agree to that.
Cause he would get slaughtered...
YouBet
AG
Ref screwed Conor in 9th round with that overly long stoppage. He had Floyd finished. That was his only chance though.

It was a stamina match after that which Floyd was a!ways going to win.
ophi175
AG
Thanks for the feed!
Paradise Ag
AG
McGregor sayin' - "He (the ref) shoulda let me hit the floor. I was fatigued, not hurt."

I concur.
Matsui
AG
Right stoppage. Was ending soon. Floyd was up on all cards as well. But ggg would have destroyed Connor. Glad Floyd will retire.
TAMUallen
AG
Mayweather was losing steam too.

Conor has a valid complaint in this
Matsui
AG
Floyd was getting stronger. Connor wasn't. Connor go back to mma and Floyd go back to strip club.
StorminAg
AG
Connor just went 10 rounds with the greatest boxer on the planet. How long would Mayweather last in the Octagon?
(Removed:11023A)
AG
The guy had been retired for two years right?
YouBet
AG
StorminAg said:

Connor just went 10 rounds with the greatest boxer on the planet. How long would Mayweather last in the Octagon?

30 seconds. Maybe.
kb2001
AG
StorminAg said:

maybe 2 minutes
Paradise Ag
AG
StorminAg said:

O/U 2:00 minutes.
StorminAg
AG
Solid under
Oautlawag2005
AG
What about Mayweather not manning up and turning around every time mcgregor started to get going?!?!? I guess some boxing expert will say that's strategy...well that's why boxing is the new professional wrestling. Don't have to worry about that crap in MMA.
thirdcoast
AG
I guess in 2017 thats a good stoppage, but pre-2010 stopping a fight like that before a knock down and 10 count, would be outrageous.
Scotty Appleton
YouBet said:

StorminAg said:

30 seconds. Maybe.

Nah, against a wrestler/grappler, yeah, but Conor would introduce him to his best weapon the front kick and then wait to get him against the cage where there are no boxing rules to break it up.

So 3-4 mins
mm98
AG
Tend to agree. So many people underestimate the pain and agony of a well landed leg kick. Hurts so damn much if you don't check it.
92Ag95
AG
Just like both sides scripted it beforehand....

Mayweather plays it cool
MacGregor talks a ton of sh.t to drive the hype machine and the ($)...

Mayweather gets his 50-0
MacGregor gets respect for going 10 rounds

They both get a sh.t ton of money....

...and we're all a little poorer for it.
kb2001
AG
92Ag95 said:

Mayweather plays it cool

Mayweather gets his 50-0

Exactly, reminds me of this movie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116448/
ATM9000
AG
TAMUallen said:

Mayweather was losing steam too.

Conor has a valid complaint in this

What fight were you watching? He took like a minute long flurry and didn't throw back. McGregor was a walking punching bag after round 5 or 6 and it wasn't a close fight after round 1.
jckrjr7
AG
It was weird that Mayweather kept turning his back. Literally the first thing they taught me in boxing to never do.
aggie0959
I think that was mayweathers strategy to try me get Connor to try something stupid. As soon as Connor landed a punch Floyd showed him the back of his head to try and disqualify him
Kellso
92Ag95 said:

Mayweather plays it cool

Mayweather gets his 50-0

This guys gets it. Floyd could have ended that fight in 6 rounds.

He lets McGregor win the first 3 rounds. Its get the Pro McGregor crowd into the fight, and give the public hope that maybe they will witness the greatest upset ever.

Im telling everyone around me that Mayweather is studying him, and by about the 5th or 6 round he will have figured out McGregor's rhythm and cadence.
Mayweather will start to systematically pick him apart....just like he does everyone else.

Mayweather is so confident in his ability that he knows whatever round he could finish the fight.

If he finishes McGregor within 4 rounds people would have called him a bully, and shamed him for beating an over matched opponent.

You have to give the fans what they want. Connor gets to walk out with his head high. He just made the biggest pay day of his life. He is still a star.

If Connor McGreggor fought Canelo Alvarez he would be sleeping within 4 rounds. Canelo is a killer.

Go back and watch the Canelo/Mayweather fight. Mayweather stands in front of Canelo the entire fight.

Canelo is throwing thunderous punches and insane combinations that Mayweather is blocking and deflecting at will.

Boxing is the art of hitting and not getting hit.

Mayweather biggest problem is that he is to good. He makes world class fighters look like chumps. Because of this a lot of his fights are boring.

The fight last night almost mirrors the Ricky Hatton/Mayweather fight.
Kellso
Kellso said:

92Ag95 said:

DP

StorminAg
AG
The only thing I gathered from this event and the pre fights is that boxing is boring as hell.
ATM9000
AG
jckrjr7 said:

It was weird that Mayweather kept turning his back. Literally the first thing they taught me in boxing to never do.

Floyd was ok last night and still shows his elite awareness of like everything going on around him.

The back turning wasn't a strategy, I think it was instinct... Floyd is 40, still really good but showed his age last night. Anytime you see fighters start just moving forward demonstrably more than they normally do and doing last ditch defensive moves like turning their back vs evading strikes, it is an indicator they are rusty and slower. Said another way: I believe Floyd when he says last night was it for him.

Anyone who thinks Floyd dropped rounds on purpose or whatever to make it a show and it wasn't tactical to the fight are insane and have never watched a Mayweather fight. Any veteran professional fighter knows dropping rounds to make it a show is insane and probably legitimately dangerous. Floyd always starts slow to get a beat on his opponent and understand how he moves then he works. For sure he did that in round 1-3 and probably still won round 2 and 3. After that... McGregor probably outweighed him by 20 lbs last night, was wearing 8 ounce gloves and Floyd knew he had more gas in the tank than McGregor. He didn't string him along extra rounds for a show... He did it to gas McGregor then he knew he could stop him.
92Ag95
AG
Kellso said:

92Ag95 said:

Mayweather plays it cool

Mayweather gets his 50-0

This guys gets it. Floyd could have ended that fight in 6 rounds.

He lets McGregor win the first 3 rounds. Its get the Pro McGregor crowd into the fight, and give the public hope that maybe they will witness the greatest upset ever.

Im telling everyone around me that Mayweather is studying him, and by about the 5th or 6 round he will have figured out McGregor's rhythm and cadence.
Mayweather will start to systematically pick him apart....just like he does everyone else.

Mayweather is so confident in his ability that he knows whatever round he could finish the fight.

If he finishes McGregor within 4 rounds people would have called him a bully, and shamed him for beating an over matched opponent.

You have to give the fans what they want. Connor gets to walk out with his head high. He just made the biggest pay day of his life. He is still a star.

If Connor McGreggor fought Canelo Alvarez he would be sleeping within 4 rounds. Canelo is a killer.

Go back and watch the Canelo/Mayweather fight. Mayweather stands in front of Canelo the entire fight.

Canelo is throwing thunderous punches and insane combinations that Mayweather is blocking and deflecting at will.

Boxing is the art of hitting and not getting hit.

Mayweather biggest problem is that he is to good. He makes world class fighters look like chumps. Because of this a lot of his fights are boring.

The fight last night almost mirrors the Ricky Hatton/Mayweather fight.
Exactly....and Mayweather has the perfect "excuse" for letting a UFC guy who's not a boxer take him 10 rounds....he'd been retired for 2 years so he was a little rusty.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.