Track & Field Athlete feedback/advise

1,411 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Z3ph7r
Elkos Magic Cookbook
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need some feedback. Hopefully a coach reads this post.

I have a buddy (Class of 94) whose daughter ran for DII Southern Arkansas last year as a freshman. It was only her 3rd year running ever, she didn't start running until her junior year in High School. She signed a NLI with Southern Arkansas, however she did not like SAU, she didn't like Magnolia, the town, and she just didn't like the state of Arkansas in general. She wanted to come back to the great state of Texas. As a distance runner for Southern Arkansas, she was in just an entire different class of runner compared to the rest of the distance runners on the team. She wasn't every pushed and had to eventually train with the men's team.

Unfortunately, in an unprecedented move, Southern Arkansas denied her release. They had never done that with any runner before. Furthermore, they have even prevented her from even speaking to coaches until she is on campus to start school. This really leaves no options to choose the best school and program. My buddy appealed 3 teams and was turned down by the school and even a group deans of the school denied all request. Southern Arkansas felt like they "owned" her because of the scholarship. They are dictating a young girls future and career for what?

She has been accepted to both A&M and Texas academically and trying to decide which school to go to.

The feedback I am looking for is to see if she is good enough to walk on and make the Cross Country/Track team, although she would have to sit out the first year. I am afraid to lose a runner to Texas. Below are her accomplishments so far. She has TONS of room to grow and get even better.

Claudine Blancaflor
Allen H.S., Allen, TX

Southern Arkansas 2016/2017

Great American Cross Country Freshman of the Year
Great American Female Most Valuable Athlete - Track & Field
USTFCCCA All-Central Region honors - 1500m

Outdoor: (all school records)
800m 2:17:56
1500m 4:35:64
5000m 17:38:39

Indoor: (all school records)
Mile 5:10:27
3000m 10:24:96
5000m 17:54

Cross Country: (school record)
6k 22:15

Thanks Ags .... let me know.
Look Out Below
AG
Quote:

The feedback I am looking for is to see if she is good enough to walk on and make the Cross Country/Track team
To walk on/make the team? Absolutely. Her 1500 & 5K marks are very respectable.
aggiepe
I agree that her times are good. Welcome to College Station and we are glad to have her
Nick Toohey
AG
Over time looks like she could develop into a real stud!
Ed Marcinkiewicz
I am glad you posted this because too often folks don't realize the school holds you hostage once you sign a letter of intent. I firmly believe kids have every right to leave and be immediately eligible if they are unhappy at a place. A coach is not punished for bettering his career by taking another coaching position. A student-athlete is in the exact same position. A college choice is what they perceived to be the best career path for them at the time. If they discover otherwise they should be able to change whether for athletics or academic reasons. A coach that refuses a release should be ashamed of that decision.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Lawyer !
Elkos Magic Cookbook
AG
Absolutely. It makes no sense how that school is holding this young girl hostage, playing with her future and career for a scholarship to run for them.

This has been an ordeal for her parents. The school and even the professors/deans that reviewed her appeal did not care for the welfare of a student, but just to punish a girl who didn't like their crappy school.
Z3ph7r

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.