Aggie Mens Tennis

16,303 Views | 157 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bigfoot10s
SlickRick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Since all of you know so much more than me, please tell me why we beat these teams in the regular season but can't beat them in the NCAA tournament.
SA68AG
AG
SlickRick said:

Since all of you know so much more than me, please tell me why we beat these teams in the regular season but can't beat them in the NCAA tournament.
Since you know so much more than us, please tell us why we beat those teams in the regular season but can't beat them in the NCAA tournament ?
SlickRick
I do not know the answer, but you would think that at some point we would advance further than the sweet 16 on more than one occasion. Cass did it once and Denton did it once. 20 years of good teams and there have been lots of second round losses and lots of round of 16 losses.
SlickRick
One more thing to add. Denton is being paid way more money than Joffe was at A&M. Joffe left and I wonder why. He is now making what Denton is making at Texas. Joffe did way better and was paid way less. How do you explain that? Also, Texas continues to do better in men's tennis than the Aggies.
SA68AG
AG
SlickRick said:

One more thing to add. Denton is being paid way more money than Joffe was at A&M. Joffe left and I wonder why. He is now making what Denton is making at Texas. Joffe did way better and was paid way less. How do you explain that? Also, Texas continues to do better in men's tennis than the Aggies.
Our athletic directors since Byrne have been dumb asses is my explanation. See contract extensions for Sumlin, Kennedy, Childress and the fact ( I believe this is correct ) no coach has been fired since we joined the SEC.
bigfoot10s
AG
SlickRick said:

I do not know the answer, but you would think that at some point we would advance further than the sweet 16 on more than one occasion. Cass did it once and Denton did it once. 20 years of good teams and there have been lots of second round losses and lots of round of 16 losses.

I think it shows just how good college tennis is. Yes, we probably should have gone further than we did many years. I don't think it means we aren't a good/great program. I think it also shows that even though we have good years, we just aren't up there with the big tim programs just yet. I think we will get there. And I know there are a hundred programs wishing they had the success we have had.
carl spacklers hat
Build the indoor facility. How many training days are lost per year due to inclement weather? Does that make a difference between a Sweet 16 and a Final Four or NC? I don't know but in the grand scheme of things, having an indoor facility would help overall, both in terms of training and recruiting.
SA68AG
AG
carl spacklers hat said:

Build the indoor facility. How many training days are lost per year due to inclement weather? Does that make a difference between a Sweet 16 and a Final Four or NC? I don't know but in the grand scheme of things, having an indoor facility would help overall, both in terms of training and recruiting.
This is like the outdoor track stadium. Promises,promises,promises.
bigtimeag1977
Overall both programs did very well this year. My guess is both teams will finish in the top 15-20. Let's be honest here with our facilities. Without indoors one could argue that we aren't even in the top 10 of facilities in the SEC conference. I am a very proud Aggie, but I am not proud of our lack of commitment to all sports and no indoor tennis courts is ridiculous. If we want our tennis teams to do better than they already are, let's have our administration do better first.
nereus
AG
It seems to me our recent administrations has done a great job in getting top notch facilities for our sports. In the last 10 years we have upgraded or done major renovations to the following facilities:

Gilliam Indoor Stadium
Blue Bell Park Renovation
Hildebrand Equine Complex
Goodman Aggie Golf Complex
Wahlberg Golf Learning Center
Watts Cross Country Course
Volleyball Practice Facility
West Campus Player Development Center
McFerrin Athletic Center
Kyle Field Renovation
Slocum Nutrition Center
Davis Player Development Center
Bright Complex Renovation

Dirt is being moved on the softball facility and the Outdoor Track is supposedly still on schedule for next season. You might be able to add some more to that list that I missed. For example, I am also not sure on if swimming got anything out of the new rec center renovations or if all of their facilities were left alone.

All of those have been upgraded to top of the line facilities. And while we haven't gotten to upgrading the tennis facilities yet, it isn't like our tennis team has awful facilities. We hosted a national championship within the last 10 years.

Yeah, it sucks for the tennis teams and fans of tennis that they are going to be one of the last teams to get an upgraded facility this round but some sport has to be last. It takes a lot of time and money to build all of these facilities and that is a lot of facility upgrades we have done in the past 10 years.

The indoor facility will come. Not as soon as you would like, but it is hard to have an elite facility for every sport all the time especially when you want multiple elite facilities for basically the same sports.

I can certainly understanding lamenting that our tennis facilities aren't where we want them. But I'm not buying the argument that our administration isn't committed to all of our sports.
bigtimeag1977
No doubt progress is being made in other sports and I understand that this can be a touchy subject with many out there. However, nobody can argue the statement that the Mitchell Tennis Center was built 20 years ago and not one thing has been updated in those 20 years. Have you been to the Baylor facility? There is a reason why they hosted the NCAA tournament a few years ago and we did not. Updates galore to the outdoor facility and a brand new indoor facility. A&M has way more money that Baylor does. So let's not take this personal and let's be real with what has been going on.
nereus
AG
I think if you want to make the argument about "our lack of commitment to all sports" than you need to compare all of our facilities to all of Baylor's facilities (or whoever you want to use). Otherwise you are just cherry picking. I am not arguing that we don't need an indoor tennis court or that even our outdoor tennis facilities are equal to Baylor's and don't need any upgrades. They do, however, we have a much better indoor track stadium, baseball stadium, soccer stadium, football stadium, etc. Overall, I would say we have better facilities than Baylor so it isn't like our administration has just wasted their monetary advantage over Baylor.

In general, whoever built/upgraded the stadium the most recently has the better facility if both schools are committed to building the best facilities. When we built the Mitchell Tennis Center it was better than Baylor's tennis facility and we hosted 3 national championships. Right now, Baylor's is better and they just hosted a championship. In the next round when we update our tennis facilities it will probably be better than Baylor's and we will be the one hosting a national championship. That is how this cycle works. We are at the low end of our cycle with tennis.

Every school has holes in their facilities where they aren't the best in the country but we have a lot of top notch facilities and our tennis facilities will be top notch again which is about all you can ask from an administration regarding facilities.
bigtimeag1977
I appreciate your defense of the school that you love and I love as well. However, I do not agree with everything you have said. We will likely get the indoor courts eventually although this has been talked about for over 10 years now so let's not act like this is something that has just now come up. We have been getting passed up for quite some time now. What additions will be made to the outdoor courts? Just curious since you seem to be all knowing of facilities at Texas A&M.
nereus
AG
I am not all knowing of facilities. I am just looking at our track record in building championship caliber facilities and then hosting top level events at those facilities.

The new outdoor track and field stadium isn't even built yet and is hosting a regional in 2021
The new cross country course is going to host regionals in 2018 and 2020
The indoor track hosted the national championship this year and will host it again next year which will make 4 out of the previous 10 years
The rec center has hosted 2 national championships for swimming and diving ( one in the last 10 years)
The soccer stadium has hosted 3 college cups (one in the last 10 years)
The tennis stadium opened and hosted a national championship in its 3rd year and then hosted two more (one of which was in the last 10 years)

We have a history of building facilities capable of hosting national championships. Why would you assume it will be different when we upgrade our tennis facilities? Last time we built a tennis facility we built it to that level. All of our other facilities that have been built recently have been built to that level. It is certainly possible we will go a different route in the future, but considering the previous track record in building top notch facilities a top notch facility capable on hosting championships seems a much more likely outcome.
bigtimeag1977
Maybe because there hasn't been an update in 20 years to the Mitchell Tennis Center. Maybe because every other school in Texas and the SEC has an indoor facility. Are those good enough reasons to have my doubts? I'm sorry, but there are a lot of people that feel the same way as I do. I don't necessarily disagree with some or most of your points, but you are obviously taking all of this very personal. Interesting as to why.
bigfoot10s
AG
All Aggies are officially out of the tournament. Arthur lost yesterday, Jordi lost today, and Arthur/AJ lost today as well.
Aggie61
AG
We are one of two teams in SEC without an indoor facility. We were the only Big 12 team without an indoor facility. This means our teams can not practice in bad weather. I doubt any school will get an NCAA Championship without indoor courts. This is a major hurdle for the coaches to overcome in recruiting. Denton said $15 million is in the budget for the indoor tennis facility. He did not mention timing.
Jay Dawn
AG
The just updated long term campus plan at least shows the indoor tennis facilty.

Indoor courts are shown next to the existing courts but on the George Bush side of the courts.(currently part of parking lot space) There also are 6 new additional courts (outdoor) shown on the drawing between existing 12 outdoor courts and the Penworthy Kinesiolgy/Physcial Education bldg. That seems would provide 6 indoor team courts and 18 outdoor tennis team courts.
bigfoot10s
AG
Jay Dawn said:

The just updated long term campus plan at least shows the indoor tennis facilty.

Indoor courts are shown next to the existing courts but on the George Bush side of the courts.(currently part of parking lot space) There also are 6 new additional courts (outdoor) shown on the drawing between existing 12 outdoor courts and the Penworthy Kinesiolgy/Physcial Education bldg. That seems would provide 6 indoor team courts and 18 outdoor tennis team courts.

Where did you see this plan? I'd love to see it

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.