SEC Indoor Track and Field Meet

2,978 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Look Out Below
aggierun
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Entries for this weekend's conference track championships are up at:
http://live.pttiming.com/?mid=1151
Click on performance lists
GIG 'EM
tk for tu juan
300m track without banked turns, should we expect a slower 4x400 time than the Razorback invite?
Look Out Below
AG
The turns may not be banked but the straightaways are longer (which mean less time spent running on the turns). Anything is possible.
tk for tu juan
Lindon Victor currently with a one point lead in the heptathlon after the first day of hep events.
Oogway
Fred Kerley ran an amazing 400 prelim: 44.94. What a set of wheels!
Mr. Kerley the younger also ran well, third and on to qualify.
Go Aggies go!
tk for tu juan
Damn, guess that answers my question on the track.

Emily Gunderson increased the school record to 14'-2.5" in the pole vault after breaking it last week. The Weeks twins of course finish 1-2 at 15'

Also nice result, three women qualified in the 200m
Oogway
From Friday's results, here is who I have as qualifying (excluding pent/hept), or final placement:

Prelims
Women 200m
Danyel White, Aaliyah Brown,Diamond Spaulding

Women 400m
Jaevin Reed

Women 800m
Jazmine Fray, Katie Willard

Women Pole Vault Final
(5) Emily Gunderson
(12) Sara Kathryn Stevens
(14) Augusta Thomason

Women Long Jump Final
(21) Glorilisha Carter

Women Shot Put Final
(12) Celine Markert
(14) Serena Brown

Prelims
Men 400m
Fred Kerley, Mylik Kerley

Men 800m
Devin Dixon, JaQwae Ellison

Men 1 mile
Alex Riba, Taylor Clayton

Men 3000m Final
(4) Cameron Villarreal
(10) Christian Farris

Men High Jump Final
(9) Garrett Cragin

Men Long Jump Final
(3) Will Williams

Men Weight Throw Final
(7) Austin Cook

I didn't include the placement of the DNQs as I am heading out to another meet, but I am sure those athletes will keep working toward the Outdoor season.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
TRM
AG
Kara Erickson finished in a 3-way tie for 6th in the HJ and Ondrusek had a PB to finish 7th in the WT.
MidTnAg
AG
Not a great overall showing by the Ags. Not what we have grown accustomed to over the past several years.
TRM
AG
We're not well balanced enough to win a conference title. We need a steady stream of points to get to the 100 needed to win a conference title. That's why Arkansas won - they have people contributing points in jumps, distance, and sprints.

We have pretty good sprinters, but not many NCAA scoring sprinters. Until that changes we need to add points in other events like we have in the 800, multis, and pv on the men's side, but the women haven't added enough. I see the men scoring around 60 points at outdoors and the women around 35.
aggiepe
I agree and have saying that for some time now. While we continue to have good sprinters we cannot expect them to win championships alone. The sprints are more competitive now with Oregon, LSU, Kentucky, Florida and the rest of the SEC. LSU had 5 women in the 60m finals and we had none. Look what Dan Walters did at Alabama this year with scoring in many events and ended up almost snatching the title from Arkansas in the men's championships. Alabama scored 14 points in the men's 5000m, also scored in pole vault, weight throw and even in the sprints. What Alabama did this year was to get all the top JUCO athletes especially from South Plains where the assistant coach came from. All the top teams now have balanced scoring so if things don't go well in the sprints they can rely on distance and field events. It would be so nice to recruit a couple of scorers in the 1500, 3000, 5000 and 10000. Can we recruit one good African runner for the distances like Henry Lelei? This year's women team don't even have potential scores in both hurdles. So the main focus this year for the ladies outdoor is 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m both relays, javelin, pole vault and the multis. The men though have a little more balanced scoring in the sprints, hurdles, multis and field events.
tk for tu juan
Guess we will see how the distance runners recruited in the fall develop over the next few years, along with the 60m hurdler. Watching both DMRs we were near the front after the 400 and 800 legs, just fell off in the mile leg.

I was definitely wrong about the 4x400 time. Crazy to think if a tenth is shaved off each leg they will be in the 3:01s
TRM
AG
They needed to flip the 1200 and 1600 legs on both DMRs, but it wouldn't have made much of a difference except a place or two. Until we get a mile stud, we won't place that highly in the DMR.
Oogway
The coach at Alabama is Waters, not Walters. It was a shame he left here, but who could blame him for the opportunity to be head coach there.

I agree with tk about seeing how some of the newer athletes develop. It takes patience and effort, but with the limited number of scholarships, you don't get depth if you are burning through your squad with injuries IMO. Henry seems to have a deft touch with wringing the last little second out of some high caliber athletes.
It was a shame to lose a few athletes leaving school early, but it is their choice to make, not ours and personally, I think the teams are still on the right path; a pretty competitive stand together squad.
tk for tu juan
The impact of Devin Dixon being tripped in the 800m, his best time on the season is currently outside the top 16 by one tenth. Hopefully there is a scratch ahead of him.
Look Out Below
AG
Not to mention we finish in third alone instead of a three-way tie for third. At least Dixon will be a part of the 4x4.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.