Track & Field is killing it

2,734 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by LegettHall
Look Out Below
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just to sum up what has happened the past few weeks:

-World leader and school record in the men's 400 by Fred Kerley; he ranks 2/3 of a second faster than anyone else in college right now -- and Mylik is one of only four collegians under 46 this year

-Collegiate record in the men's 4x400; ran a fifth fastest collegiate time ever at Clemson and even subbed in a different leg in doing so; we now own each of the six fastest 4x4's in NCAA history; Fred is the only senior out of the five in the rotation; no other team in the country is within two seconds of us

-World Leader from out of nowhere (dropped almost four seconds!) in the women's 4x400 (and made up of two freshmen, a sophomore and a junior)

-Collegiate record in the women's 800 -- sophomore Jazmine Lynch (also dropped four seconds!) We now own two of the four collegiate 800 records

-Junior World Leader in the 200 -- Danyel White, 23.14

-School record in the weight throw by Austin Cook

-School record in the heptathlon by Lindon Victor

Other things to watch out for:
-Freshman Devin Dixon seems to be dropping about a second every time he steps on the track in the 800
-Jazmine Lynch and Katie Willard have yet to appear in the women's DMR; we would do dirty things to our school record if they turn them loose just once; Solid chance they could even qualify it for NCAA's
-Emily Gunderson has been very close to jumping 14 feet in the women's vault several times this year

There have been loads of personal bests so far this year too. It will be pretty exciting to see things develop after what has been nothing short of a jaw-dropping first month of the season!
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
TRM
AG
Look Out Below said:

-World Leader from out of nowhere (dropped almost four seconds!) in the women's 4x400 (and made up of two freshmen, a sophomore and a junior)

The women's 400 crew is frustrates me. Great 4x4 time, but no one has run a good enough 400 time to qualify for nationals. I hope we can get some qualified for indoors.

Everyone has really come together after the recruiting rumors in the Fall.
Look Out Below
AG
To be fair, two of those four on the relay are Jazmine Fray (800) and Danyel White (200). They have performed very well in their events and should be at NCAA's in both.
SA68AG
triniaggie
AG

I agree the women have not run well in the individual 400 but on the positive side Jaevin Reed, Briyahna Desrosiers and Kadecia Baird have all split 52 and 53 on the relay. All three have potential of making NCAA. Hope they can turn on this weekend.

Some of heats so far have been disadvantage to the Aggies simply because many of them did not get the fast heats eg. Last weekend most of the Aggies 200m women runners won their heats but they were in different heats. It is difficult to to put all Aggies in the fast heats.

Another observation is that all the meets we have competed so far did not have many professional athletes running with our athletes to enable them to get faster times except probably Jazmine Fray race with the rabbit. The Tyson invitational race last weekend at Arkansas had both college and pro athletes running the same heats so many times were faster.

I was wonder why they have not gone after the distance medley relay record yet running Arin Rice, Kate Willard, Jazmine Fray and one of better 400m runners. Let see if it will be attempted soon

I think the development of athletes have been tremendous over the last 5 years and more. Most of the nations top recruits have stayed away from us and have gone to Florida, Oregon, Arkansas, USC, LSU etc and we have taken average athletes and turn them into great athletes. Lendore came here as 47 plus quartermiler and won the Bowerman. Fred Kerley came here also as a 47 plus quarter miler. His brother has already has a PR. Jazmine was not a top recruit. She came here as a 2.10 in the 800m and is now a 2.00 runner. Donavan Brazier went from 1.48 to 143 in one year. Shamier Little went from 59 to a 53 plus. Brea Garrett came here and won the NCAA weight throw having not done that event before.The list goes on and on. Devon Dixon has already drop two second. Amber Ivy, Danyel White and many others have already done very well so far this season. So our track record at developing average athletes have been second to none
Just wished we could have a couple potential scorers in the distance events and the women's hurdles.
All in all great strides so far
Bubortho
Let me help you out.
All of the "liberal media" (negative reporting) that all these track know-it-alls report about the recruits it a load of hogwash. It is glaring with incompetence that most of these guys fail to realize what actually goes on. I get it, you know what you read, and these 5 star recruits don't want to come to A&M. The reality is, there is roughly 12-14 scholarships in track and a coach has to pick and choose. Some kids realize that A&M will be a place where they can potentially be the best in the nation as a individual and especially as a team. Those kids may only be offered 1/3 of a scholarship, therefore if some other program offers them more money, then they take that opportunity. Others realize that they will be around a bunch of other good athletes and in a great environment, and end up making the decision to come to A&M. So put all this talk about kids not wanting to come here where it belongs. Trust me, they all want to come to Track Station, but financially can't afford to sometimes. Do me a favor if you disagree.... look up how many times Coach Henry and his staff have had the #1 recruiting class and also tell me how many national championships these schools with the number #1 recruiting classes have won a NCAA meet ON A CONSISTENT BASIS.
Oogway
Regardless, a lot of talented athletes have become even better and it has been exciting to watch. Looking forward to the Twilight meet, the SEC meet and the Indoor champ meet. For those that have yet to qualify: best of luck and go after it!
aggie67,74&76
MidTnAg
AG
"liberal media" who or what in the h-ll are you talking about? Name your sources.
LegettHall
Byrne's best hire, easily.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.