Aggie Men's Tennis 2017

4,122 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SA68AG
bigfoot10s
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Season begins today. Currently down 1-0 to Rice agter doubles.

What are your expectations for the #16 ranked team this year? Is this a do or die year for Denton even with the new contract?
SA68AG
AG
I expect to finish around 20 and lose in the second round ; women about 25 and a first or second round loss. I think the current AD is ok with mediocrity in the minor sports and will be more consumed with what to do in basketball, football and baseball and the costs of associated buyouts for those coaches. I wouldn't expect any changes anytime soon in tennis.

I think we've returned to the pre-Cass days in men's tennis and pre-Joffe days on the women's side. 6-8 in the SEC and borderline top 20-25 in nationally.

bigfoot10s
AG
Men pull out a 4-3 win on the road at Rice
SA68AG
AG
bigfoot10s said:

Men pull out a 4-3 win on the road at Rice
sharpdressedman
Likely to be a respectable but not remarkable season, and hoping for the latter.
bigfoot10s
AG
Men are currently taking on Baylor at home. Not a great start in doubles. All matches down at least one break early.
bigfoot10s
AG
Men drop the doubles point to Baylor
agwarrior
AG
Ags come up short 4-3
SA68AG
AG
What was Baylor ranked ?
agwarrior
AG
bigfoot10s
AG
Men are currently down 1-0 after doubles to Ole Miss
billydean05
Something happened to Lunkin it appears. Match coming down to James Martell at 6 line tied at 3 games apiece in third set.
bigfoot10s
AG
The men fall to Ole Miss 4-3
SA68AG
AG
Appears that the doubles lineup needs some changes.
HCLi
Does anyone know what happened to the women's assistant coach? Sullivan isn't listed anymore on the roster page.
blake2003
AG
Man, those two losses really hurt... but I'm still optimistic about the season. The match against Baylor was really close and there were flashes of brilliance. I expect that Hady will at least being playing the number 3 spot, if not number 2 by the end of the season based on what I'm hearing. If that's the case, we should be dominant from 4-6. You'd have Lunkin, Bakshi, Arconada, and Vacherot to pick for the bottom three spots. Val's performance on Sunday was straight up dominance on Court 5, coming off a tough loss on Court 6 the day before. That's good news for the freshman.

I'm not sure what to do with doubles. I've seen all matches this season and I'm perplexed by our doubles play. It just seems like we start flat and never recover.

I'm still hopeful we're going to be very good by the end of the season, but these early losses are going to kill our chances of getting a favorable seed. This year changes the format of the tournament where schools host through the Sweet 16... but outside a dominant SEC run I doubt we're given that luxury.
aggietennisfan
Patrick Sullivan has not been a part of the program in a few months. Not sure exactly what happened, but was unexpected. Does anyone know about his replacement? Certainly Weaver isn't doing it all by himself?
SlickRick
So why is the men's team not doing so well? THE ANSWER...Because...its the same head coach so obviously losing McKinley was a huge loss! Without him, I say the team would have been 5-10 ranking positions lower each year. His replacement is such a weak hire it is beyond comical!
RebAg13
AG
Hardest working troll on Texags. Dedicated year in and year out
SlickRick
Please explain to me why Kevin OShea is even remotely a good or qualified hire. It is a very high profile and well paid position and there are easily hundreds of more qualified coaches out there.
Carnwellag2
SlickRick said:

Please explain to me why Kevin OShea is even remotely a good or qualified hire. It is a very high profile and well paid position and there are easily hundreds of more qualified coaches out there.
Apparently you weren't qualified enough
SA68AG
AG
Baylor wins 4-0. We really do miss McKinley.
SlickRick
It is quite obvious that you have no defense to my statement so you have to attack me. I have no interest of being a coach nor am I qualified. Nor is Kevin OShea. Please remind me of his credentials again. Oh right, he doesn't have any credentials yet he is coaching for one of the premier athletic universities in the nation.
RebAg13
AG
Please, college coaching is about recruiting. He either will recruit well or he won't. It's not the end of the world. O'shea played college tennis as well.
HCLi
What kind of assistant coach do you guys think A&M needs?

Here are some assistant coaches at the major Texas schools and their achievements:
Texas-former longtime Michigan head coach
TCU-former Top 100 ATP doubles player
SMU-former Maryland head coach
Baylor-former Assistant at Valparasio
Tech-former A&M student assistant
Rice-former Western Michigan assistant

Ole Miss (the other loss this season)-former NCAA singles champion

I mean when you're comparing O'Shea to the rest, he definitely looks more qualified than Szabo at Tech and maybe the one at Baylor too
SlickRick
I don't agree that he is more qualified than any on that list. Please tell me where he played college tennis.
RebAg13
AG
He's more qualified than Szabo
SlickRick
He played division 2 tennis. Szabo played for a major program. No playing record to matter at all. No recruiting record. A guy in his 40s that has never done anything. At least Szabo has an excuse. He has only been out of college for a year or so.
CUtiger_butA&Mtennis
A&M men playing @Florida State right now on ESPN3. Just starting doubles.
bigfoot10s
AG
Men drop the doubles point in Tallahassee
CUtiger_butA&Mtennis
3-3. Coming down to a 3rd set on court 4
bigfoot10s
AG
Ags win!!
SA68AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.