Swimming & Diving vs Florida

1,678 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by triniaggie
halco87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Really good meet today at the Rec. Women with a convincing performance and the Men took the Gators down to the last relay before losing 159-141,

Women's highlights included a 22.26 50 Free and a 48.5 relay anchor from Gastaldello, a couple of 1:00 breaststrokes from Caneta and Jonker, and a clean sweep of the top 4 spots in the 2 breast with everyone under the NCAA B cut time.

Men's highlights were a medley relay win with a 19.7 anchor from Jacob Gonzalez, double wins from Bonetti (48.02/1:44.62) and Castillo (54.18/1:57.53) in the Back and Breast, and two sub 45 second relay splits from freshmen Koster and Tjon-A-Joe.

Meet results
halco87
As a side note, in case you were wondering how deep the women's team is this year they swam Esther Gonzalez, a 2016 NCAA A Finalist in the 200 breaststroke, in a non-scoring heat for that event and STILL went 1-2-3-4 in the 200 breast with 4 NCAA B cuts. Also 1-2--3-4 in the 2IM without swimming Olympic Finalist Sydney Pickrem.
triniaggie
AG
Halco87

Just a few questions on the team this year

I have not seen Freshman Karling Hemstreet swim yet for the season. Is she injured? She is good distance swimmer (200y free/147.19, 500y free/445.33, 1650y free/1623.26)

McKenna DeBever has not swum either, maybe because of the transfer rules. I think the rules say you must attend two full semesters before you can compete. If she was here over the summer, then she should be able to swim in January. Do you have any information on this? She would be another potential scorer for the team.

Since we have some much depth in the breaststroke and the IM races:

Should Sycerika M McMahon focus on other events this year than the breaststroke ( 100y breast\59.35, 200y breast\2.09.53). Maybe focus on 500y free\441.07, 200IM\157.27 and 200y fly\157.53. I am asking this because she is more versatile than the other breaststrokers and we need additional scoring in the fly and distance events. We already have Ashely McGregor, Franko Jonker, Jorie Coneta and Esther Medina doing the 100y breast and add Bethany Galat and Sydney Pickrem for the 200y breast

Which 3rd event should Sydney Pickrem focus on this year. Last year she swam the 200y breast (2.07.96). She has a 1.55.16 in the 200y backstroke. We can do with some extra scoring in the 200m back.

Maybe Kristin Malone can focus only freestyle this year (50,100, 200) with the depth of the 200IMers. But she has a 156.45 in 200IM

We seem to be still weak in the individual 100y back. Can any of the newcomers improve enough to potential score? Beryl will be doing the 50y and 100y free and the 100fly for sure and Beryl is our best 100y backstroker.

I would just like to get your thoughts on these and other issues surrounding which events should some of the swimmers focus on which could help the scoring

Not too concern about the loss to Texas last week. I know Steve will have the team ready at the right time
Look Out Below
AG
Two full semesters = spring and fall; DeBever won't be eligible until Fall 2017
halco87
Like LOB said, Debever has to sit 2 full semesters so she won't be eligible until the 2017-18 season.

Not sure what the story is with Hemstreet. Might just be something extra cautious. We'll see if she's swimming next week at the Invite in Mansfield.

Speaking of which, that should give us a clearer understanding of where the team stands. There is so much depth and versatility for Steve and Tanica to use as they please. Who would have guessed at this time last year that Sarah Gibson would allow for Gastaldello to move off the fly legs of the medley relays, or that Claire Rasmus would have such a big impact on the 400/800 freestyle relays?

McMahon in the 500 is highly likely. The 200 free may even be an option, she's posted really strong long course times in the past.

I wouldn't move Malone (2IM) or Pickrem (2Breast) out of those events. Their best times are potential NCAA scoring times, and in the case of Pickrem she has A Final potential in the breaststroke whereas she would have to drop significant time to match that level in the 2Back. I think you trust for some more breakout performances like we usually see every season in the other events and keep those for sure strong performances in place.

We'll know a lot more come 8 or 9pm on the 19th. Hopefully we'll have some new times to surprise us and double digit ladies qualified for the big meet in March. Gig 'Em!
triniaggie
AG
Thanks Halco and LOB. I appreciate the comments. I really enjoy following the women's swimming team from year to year since attending my first meet and saw Julia Wilkinson, Alia Atkinson, Triin Aljand etc swim. I have been ardent follower since.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.