Sage Northcutt - The next Time Tebow? (Article from BR/CNN)

2,209 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Sweep4-2
class12of
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
THE MOST VIOLENT SPORT IN THE WORLD NOW FEATURES A PETROLEUM ENGINEERING MAJOR AT TEXAS A&M WHO NEVER EARNED ANYTHING LESS THAN AN "A" ON A REPORT CARD.

"Gospel in the Cage"

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/gospel-in-the-cage/?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial
Scotty Appleton
Kid needs to dump his daddy as a coach and get out of Texas to train with real fighters. He has great potential, but weak cardio and can't defend takedowns. He hasn't even fought a good wrestler yet and can't keep journeymen from dumping him on the ground.
light_bulb
AG
I'm fairly new to watching MMA, but it seemed like sage shouldn't have been able to get out of that arm bar once it was locked in. Impressive perseverance, but I agree he went down too easily a couple times and a higher caliber opponent would probably have punished him for it.

As in any sport, you only improve your skills when you are training with the best people on a daily basis. I'm not informed about his current situation training with his dad so I will reserve judgment for others who are more knowledgeable.
mm98
AG
quote:
I'm fairly new to watching MMA, but it seemed like sage shouldn't have been able to get out of that arm bar once it was locked in. Impressive perseverance, but I agree he went down too easily a couple times and a higher caliber opponent would probably have punished him for it.

As in any sport, you only improve your skills when you are training with the best people on a daily basis. I'm not informed about his current situation training with his dad so I will reserve judgment for others who are more knowledgeable.

His arm was trapped palm up which allows for a lot more bending. Marin should have locked it in thumb to the sky and it prob would have ended.

As far as Sage's training, I know nothing of his dad but he does train with Chris Mango who is very well decorated and skilled. I'm sure there are better camps should he do this full time, but it's not like he's rolling with scrubs.
light_bulb
AG
Thanks for explaining that. That actually makes a lot of sense.

I guess we will see if he can continue to develop since he is quite young.
ATM9000
AG
Sage is promising and has some good skills but nonetheless he's really overrated and has a lot of work to do. He's 20 though so you'd expect that. Hope the UFC and his management team both show some patience with him and he gets brought along really slowly because just from a strength standpoint, he's at least 3 years away from having the physical tools necessary to compete against top 10 guys at lightweight.

He'd be well served sticking to fighting twice a year and being able to have the time necessary to strength train for a while. Those guys are all little but even at lightweight, the really good ones have grown man strength. Sage is quick but doesn't have anything close to grown man strength.
Farmer1906
AG
Sage is already one of the largest and strongest fighters in the division. He Physically he is ready, he is just very weak on the ground. He needs to work on ground fighting (all of it, not just BJJ or wrestling). He looked like a lost puppy in his loss. The reports of his over involved father may be another issue. He needs to join a real camp away from his comfort zone and family. I think it'll do him a lot of good. He tried that with Tristar and his daddy pulled him out of it.
Scotty Appleton
And he gets beat bad again. This time against another young guy who has had fewer pro fights.

Again, if he wants to be a legit fighter at that level he needs to get the hell out of Texas and train with real fighters. He should press the pause button, finish his degree and if he still wants it bad enough go somewhere with a real camp that can teach TD defense/MMA wrestling. Guys like Gastellum weren't much older than Sage when they broke in and he isn't in remotely in that area code right now. Go live with Thompson and his dad for a year...
Sweep4-2
The guy he lost to recently has great Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Northcutt has gotten by so far on being big, and having good striking (and on having fought guys who didn't have great grappling). He's gonna have to learn to wrestle and defend subs, and he's going to have to be willing to train with wrestlers/BJJ guys to do so.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.