When will the Outdoor T&F Stadium be Built?

9,768 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Chesapeake Ag
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know the renderings came out some time ago. Does anyone know any more info? Is it on hold until Kyle is done?

aggie67,74&76
AG
The last I heard, the Track and Field Stadium and the Softball Facility were scheduled for next year. I hope they stay on schedule because they are both desperately needed.
Farmer1906
AG
I would imagine once built, we would compete with UO for hosting the NCAAs.
coldmoose
Really hope this happens.
sharpdressedman
A promise made to Henry remains unfulfilled. The longer it lingers the less likely it will happen. Henry is not far from retirement, and once he is gone the AD and TMF are off the hook for the capital outlay.

Henry's tone in the interview linked on the home page clearly lacks optimism that the outdoor facility will be built.
MagnumLoad
It does not matter who the T&F coach is, the outdoor facility should be built, and soon.
Houstonag
AG
The Administration needs to get this done. I am familiar with the specs. and they are very good. I do not want to see a half XXX facility. Fund it and get it done 12th Man. No short change here.
aggierun
Several months have passed since the last post! Any progress on a new track? Where does it all stand as of today?
MidTnAg
AG
I don't see the possibility of us holding the NCAA Championship T&F meet in Aggieland. Way too hot.
MidTnAg
AG
Coach Henry deserves better treatment from the athletic department. It is incredible what he has accomplished without a place to hold outdoor meets.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I've asked this before, but I don't recall the answer, so indulge me, please: what is wrong with the current facility?
Aggie_3
quote:
I've asked this before, but I don't recall the answer, so indulge me, please: what is wrong with the current facility?

Is this a serious question?! The biggest issue among many is the track is still the same track from the 90's it's very unsafe for our own athletes to even train on. The other big problem is opposing team coaches take pictures of our craptastic facility to use in recruiting against us
Patentmike
AG
Anderson opened in 1986 and while it was a quality surface (at least then), it has never been a stadium. They really just dropped the track in the middle of a field. I don't know who made the decision, but it rather felt like the track was put there so that the runners would get out of the football team's way.

I would love A&M to have a true stadium for T&F (if I win the lottery tonight I'm making a donation) and I hope we do it for the athletes not just for a coach (even an epically great one like Pat Henry).
aggierun
As we move into an Olympic year, any word on when, and if construction of a new track will begin?
MidTnAg
AG
Track & Field at A&M took a leap with the hiring of Coach Henry. However, as he was winning National Championships, Coach Henry's Track & Field program was regulated back to "non-essential" status and essentially ignored.

Money was instead placed into a weak football program which, sadly, actually grew even weaker.
The Ghost of Johnny
AG
Hopefully Track & Field at A&M can take another giant leap with the hiring of an AD who cares about it, and build Henry the outdoor facility he deserves/needs.
aggierun
Recently checked in with a west coast track writer friend about the Ag's new AD. His reply was, "Don't have any special insights on him. But, UW did build a separate T&F facility about a year ago. He seems to be a good fund raiser and A&M has lots of donation sources so I wouldn't be surprised for A&M to get a new track facility." HOPE HE IS RIGHT!!!
TexAg1987
I believe it is being proposed at the April BOR meeting along with the Softball Complex.
Tamu_mgm
AG
quote:
I believe it is being proposed at the April BOR meeting along with the Softball Complex.

bump
fourth deck
AG
President Young has signed off on the track stadium. Here is a look at what we'll be getting for track:

http://cbe.tamu.edu/Data/Sites/1/allouruploads/presidentialactions/2016actions/040416paoutdoortrackandfieldcomplex.pdf

And softball will be next door:

http://cbe.tamu.edu/Data/Sites/1/allouruploads/presidentialactions/2016actions/040416pasoftballcomplex.pdf
Ag13
AG
quote:
President Young has signed off on the track stadium. Here is a look at what we'll be getting for track:

http://cbe.tamu.edu/Data/Sites/1/allouruploads/presidentialactions/2016actions/040416paoutdoortrackandfieldcomplex.pdf

And softball will be next door:

http://cbe.tamu.edu/Data/Sites/1/allouruploads/presidentialactions/2016actions/040416pasoftballcomplex.pdf
New stadiums look great. Wonder if they will upgrade the Ellis Field facade to make it match all the other facilities (with the exception of Reed Arena, of course).

Seems like from the memo the old track facility will stay in place to be used for field events. Surely they will tear down the old softball field though. Wonder what will go in it's place. Parking, hopefully.
redd38
AG
Looks like the new track won't have a grass infield, although it does appear to have two areas for shot put. So the old track would be used as the warm-up area for all athletes and the throwing area for javelin and discus. I wonder if they're going to add anything to the old track to reduce the wind for the throwers.
fourth deck
AG
quote:
Seems like from the memo the old track facility will stay in place to be used for field events. Surely they will tear down the old softball field though. Wonder what will go in it's place. Parking, hopefully.
Hopefully they won't neglect to tear down old facilities and leave them as eyesores like the old tennis facility near Kyle.
HiddenAg2
I would have liked to have seen outfield bleachers for softball but I'm sure it's possible to expand down the road. 2,000 seats is a bit on the low side though, I would have gone with 2,500 at least. I love the look however and especially all seats being armchair.

The track facility is smaller than I expected and paired down from the original rendering a few years ago. They should be able to bring in temporary bleachers for national events, etc. though.
aggierun
Fingers are crossed that all of this will happen! What is the earliest that A&M will again host an outdoor meet?
Rock1982
AG
Great news!
jbeaman88
AG
quote:

The track facility is smaller than I expected and paired down from the original rendering a few years ago. They should be able to bring in temporary bleachers for national events, etc. though.

Agreed, it looks like it will be a nice facility but I would have expected at least seating for 10,000 for hosting of national level meets rather than the 3200 in this design. Maybe there is some thought to a future seating expansion phase.
Bubortho
50 million. Done
PJYoung
AG
Saw a little piece of it on this video. Is there anything else out there?

Ed Marcinkiewicz
They are not looking to reduce winds for the throwers. This will be the premier facility in the country for throwing discus and javelin once it opens. The discus ring is optimally set up to take advantage of our winds.
Chesapeake Ag
There's the live construction cam linked off the E.B. Cushing Track Stadium page. It typically doesn't give a very good perspective but you can see it's coming along.

http://athstream.athletics.tamu.edu/track.html
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.