Situational Baseball

1,284 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by threeanout
Nice Guy Eddie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is an awesome A&M team!

Yesterday, after the game started 9-0 Georgia, I kept asking myself how safe that Georgia lead really was? I felt like A&M was sure to win after the first two-run bomb in their bottom half.

If there is one issue that I see, is their inability or lack of tact for playing situational baseball in late innings.

They could have swept Alabama and Georgia if they had concentrated on moving runners over or making contact to bring them in from 3rd base.

Yes, it's easier said than done at that level (I did play varsity ball in highschool) but I did not see a stategy and/or batters adjusting to that strategy.

The further this team goes, the more some.sutuations will call on them to get that man home in from second base with no outs in order to remain alive.
Either I will find a way or I will make one.
Sean98
AG
I think if game 3 is a post season game we might bunt Sorrell in the 8th yesterday. It's a right call because it's the worst spot in the lineup for that. Chestnut has a fair amount of swing and miss in his game, Sorrell might be our hottest hitter the past week. So if you sac bunt, then TC KS you need Gavin to get a hit because there's 2 outs. If Gavin gets a hit that run at 2nd probably scores anyway. If that situation is one batter earlier, or particularly one batter later it's an easy bunt call.

Personally I probably would have bunted but I really have no idea if Cade can bunt on command. Bet he hasn't done a ton of it on his career.

What we can't have is 6 straight punchies, especially those 3 in the 8th.
snowdog90
Nice Guy Eddie said:

This is an awesome A&M team!

Yesterday, after the game started 9-0 Georgia, I kept asking myself how safe that Georgia lead really was? I felt like A&M was sure to win after the first two-run bomb in their bottom half.

If there is one issue that I see, is their inability or lack of tact for playing situational baseball in late innings.

They could have swept Alabama and Georgia if they had concentrated on moving runners over or making contact to bring them in from 3rd base.

Yes, it's easier said than done at that level (I did play varsity ball in highschool) but I did not see a stategy and/or batters adjusting to that strategy.

The further this team goes, the more some.sutuations will call on them to get that man home in from second base with no outs in order to remain alive.

Well said.
Nice Guy Eddie
AG
Yep.

Every single batter should learn how to bunt proficiently, IMO.
Either I will find a way or I will make one.
Sq 17
Winning it all requires a great team which we have
But the team has to be playing well at the end and
Has to do the little things right and usually needs a couple of breaks

Hoping for 4 week streak ending in Omaha with. Trophy
Sq 17
Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yep.

Every single batter should learn how to bunt proficiently, IMO.
That's what Double-A ball is for. Pretty sure at HS and collegiate level hours of practice is limited so some skills get less attention
McInnis
AG
But even with the new extra inning rule in mlb, most major league teams won't do it. When you're given a free runner on 2nd with no outs and need only a run to win, it seems like a sac bunt would be the thing to do.

Dusty Baker was asked about it a couple of years ago and said that some of the Astro players had never bunted in their lives. And he said it as if it were something he had no control over!

Camarillo is the rarest of modern baseball players in that he knows how to bunt and is good at it.
Gyles Marrett
Not going to second guess Schloss' philosophy….but this notion by many of the responses that some guys can't bunt and/or there's no time to practice it is a joke and an excuse. If you can hit a baseball even in quality high school baseball then you can play pepper, if you can play pepper, you can learn to bunt. It's not difficult and can be practiced anytime anywhere pretty much with the equipment we have. There's not a coach out there that will honestly say they just don't have time to practice bunting. If they do it's just an excuse bc they prefer not bunting and letting guys hit which is fine.
McInnis
AG
Yeah, in the old days, I remember when MLB teams would take batting practice and each hitter would lay down a bunt or two before starting to swing.
threeanout
AG
One thing I couldn't understand yesterday is why we held the runner on first with a 3-2 count on the batter and two outs. This happened in the first game with the score like 9-8. The batter hit a rather soft line drive that Burton could have very easily made a play on had he been playing behind the runner. The runner on first ended up advancing to third anyway.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.