Moab/Arches

1,258 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Catag94
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heading there next weekend and already have a UTV tour booked and passes to park for Friday and Saturday. Anyone have any recommendations on specific trails to check out and dining options? Staying in Moab and it's just wife and me.
txags92
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Heading there next weekend and already have a UTV tour booked and passes to park for Friday and Saturday. Anyone have any recommendations on specific trails to check out and dining options? Staying in Moab and it's just wife and me.
Moab Diner is good quick food and has good ice cream too. Try the sweetwater skillet with chorizo.

Antica Forma is good for pizza and Italian.

Moab Brewery was good also. They have a burger with green chile, smoked bacon, etc that is pretty tasty.

The Quesadilla Mobilla food truck was good also.

If you are into stargazing at all, going into the park after dinner (or taking dinner to go out there with you) is a nice place for it.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Really like the idea on stargazing! Thanks for the tips
txags92
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Really like the idea on stargazing! Thanks for the tips
Should be close to a new moon so really good conditions if it isn't cloudy.. We went over to the windows area and took some long exposure photos of the arches with a 1/4 moon for lighting and they made some really cool shots. Looks almost like daylight on the sandstone, but you can still see the stars through and behind them.
BSD
AG
We like to grab Antica Forma to-go for dinner and head into Arches to picnic. You get some great sunsets out there so take advantage.

It might be too late to get a pass to Fiery Furnace but give it a look.
WoMD
Went to arches about 15 years ago, so I'm not sure if things have changed at all, but when I went I loved it. I specifically walked/hiked pretty far from the main roads and gathering areas, almost to the point where trails basically stopped being marked (even though id stumble upon some on occasion, but it's easy to get lost). It is funny, that it didn't take long for English to completely disappear. I only heard French, German, Chinese, etc after only 20-30 minutes. It seemed like no Americans wanted to leave their comfortable areas, right next to their cars, which seemed odd to me. Lots of great areas to wander, and a much better experience IMO. Don't be a classic American lazy tourist. Be a European/asian tourist instead, it's much more rewarding.
barnacle bob
AG
I've been burned on dinner at Moab when doing sunset at Arches and making it back in time for a decent meal. Decent places closed earlier than expected.

I'd plan on doing some morning or day hikes/UTV then take break during heat of day, use that time to plan for an evening at delicate arch. Look up the hike, prepare (flashlight for way back, clothes for cooler evening temps, a picnic dinner from town and beer/wine/cocktails). You can enjoy the sunset at arch, which is awesome, then stargazing all in one awesome spot. Surprise the wife. It's unexpected to hike back there if she isn't doing any of the hike planning.

It will likely be crowded, but it will thin quickly as it gets later.

I'm near there now, weather is awesome and cool at night, sunset is late.
texas_ute
AG
Moab Brewery is solid for lunch/dinner options. That's usually our Moab default place to stop. Wide variety of different food. They make some pretty good beers, also.
I always end up picking up a new pint glass there. They also sell all of their beers to-go out of their shop.

I remember Jailhouse Cafe being a nice breakfast spot.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Appreciate all the feedback! I'll post some pictures.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
One last question - should I bring my binoculars? I run them on a chest supported rig and it's not that inconvenient but I'm just not sure I'm going to be glassing a whole bunch of stuff while hiking/farting around. Any thoughts on this?

Full disclosure, most of my hiking revolves around hunting so that's why I have them included as of right now.
txags92
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

One last question - should I bring my binoculars? I run them on a chest supported rig and it's not that inconvenient but I'm just not sure I'm going to be glassing a whole bunch of stuff while hiking/farting around. Any thoughts on this?

Full disclosure, most of my hiking revolves around hunting so that's why I have them included as of right now.
About the only thing we saw worth binoculars were a few birds I wanted to ID and a couple of lizards at distance. I carry a small pair of cheap bushnells I can throw in a daypack with my water bottles and snacks. If you are not a birder, probably not worth carrying them.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Good points, thanks!
bones75
AG
My favorite spot was Sand Dune Arch. It is very close to the road. Walk inside through a short slot canyon and enter a sand floor room with amazing light.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Just looked it up and will definitely check it out.
Ornithopter
AG
I guess this is too late, but the Firey Furnace hike is one of the best I've ever been on. You have to sign up to do it though, they limit the number of people on it.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I should have done it! We had an absolute blast at Arches and Moab! I'll post pictures here later
Wingnut27
Blu pig is good eats. And have live music.
Catag94
AG
If you aren't equipped and experience for canyoneering and rappelling, check into a guided trip for Moab. It will be amazing and you won't forget it.

ETA: Several years back I took the family on the Medieval Chamber route. We ran into a guided group so I know it's an option.

https://www.roadtripryan.com/go/t/utah/moab/medieval-chamber
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Forgot to post pics:

Catag94
AG
Great pics.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.