As soon as LeBron breaks the record…

4,602 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Guitarsoup
caleblyn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I will be pulling for the next person to pass him!!!

WES2006AG
AG
why?
LeagueCityAg
AG
It's a huge accomplishment and he deserves the praise

MJ still better though
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Like any of these it's more a longevity award. I don't like the man's politics, but he has been a top 5 player in the league for 20 years
fat girlfriend
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

longevity award
Quote:

he has been a top 5 player in the league for 20 years
I hate most of Lebron's political takes, but this is ridiculous how much it undersells the man's basketball greatness.
Seven Costanza
AG
Like him or not, it's an incredible accomplishment. If you played in 80 out of 82 games a year, and scored 25 points in every single game, it would take you more than 19 consecutive seasons of that to break the record. You have to play at a very high level, without getting significantly injured, for a very long time.
fat girlfriend
caleblyn said:

You'll be waiting a good while.
LeagueCityAg
AG
fat girlfriend said:

caleblyn said:

You'll be waiting a good while.
Luka coming!
NoahAg
LeagueCityAg said:

It's a huge accomplishment and he deserves the praise

MJ still better though

Yep. Had MJ not taken a couple of extended breaks he would have finished with around 45,000 career points.
Let's go, Brandon!
PhatMack19
AG
They just stop the game to have a whole ass ceremony?
PhatMack19
AG
He just dropped an F bomb in his speech
Tobias Funke
AG
That was interesting
hph6203
AG
10 minutes later they play the last 11 seconds of the third.
AggieEP
The moment you've been waiting for your whole life, and likely thinking about what to say, and he drops the f bomb.

Great basketball player... still struggles with what to say in his big moments.
coastalAg
AG
This dude is 38 and still averaging 30/8/7. He dropped a pretty casual 36 points in three quarters to break the record. It's ****ing amazing how good he still is after all these years.
hph6203
AG
That was the most post The Decision Lebron thing I've seen since The Decision.
rsf0626
caleblyn said:

This is a record that wont ever be broken. At least most likely not in our lifetimes.
rsf0626
rsf0626
I still remember when i was a young kid how hyped up this guy was before the nba. He has surpassed every single expectation imaginable
rsf0626
AggieEP
Agreed, usually these longevity type records are broken when a player is a shell of their former self, just putting up empty numbers and hanging around for the sole purpose of the record.

LeBron is still a top 5 player in the league and looks like he could put up 2-3 more years of big numbers as well. He's going to put this thing up above 42k-44k points and no one will ever break this record. If he hangs around into his 40s he could get up to 45k-46k and no one will ever even get close to the record.
hph6203
AG
Wouldn't underestimate the shift to three point shots across the league and the advancements in medical technology that will allow people to de-age/play well into their 40's. That already exists in mouse models.

I'm not saying it will definitively be broken, but I'm not confident it won't be.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Lebron is an absolute doofus.

Fitting for the clown show nba to have him as their points leader.

Can't shine a light to MJ.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Okay. I'm ready to - sigh - finally acknowledge that he may be the greatest basketball player of all-time.
hph6203
AG
He's second.

He just said "I feel like I can compete for championships for whatever franchise."

One foot out the door. Always.
AggieEP
While I acknowledge the same, I still have trouble understanding how he can be so good yet have really only won what I consider 1 no doubt title. His other 3 have been so fluky as to almost defy logic.

He beats the spurs thanks to 2 missed free throws and a miracle Ray Allen shot after LeBron's own clanked 3.

He beats the super warriors team thanks to Draymond deciding to kick guys in the jewels and Kyrie playing the greatest basketball of his life.

He wins in the bubble with a Lakers team that we now have multiple years of proof to show us that is just not that good.

I don't necessarily discount those 3 titles, he won them, but it's odd how razor thin the margin has been for him to get to 4 despite being so obviously individually great. Some will probably blame the supporting casts, but he was the one who picked his running mates for the past 12 years or so and it hasn't really helped.
hph6203
AG
He lead all players in the GSW series in points, assists, rebounds, blocks and steals. Real odd that you would treat it with skepticism.
Guitarsoup
AG
NBA Finals Losses:

LeBron: 6
Caruso: 0

We all know the Goat
The Porkchop Express
I feel like LBJ gets the short end of the stick in a lot of comparisons because he's lived fully in the Internet/social media age, something that Kobe only partially did and Jordan never had to worry about. Every time LeBron says something stupid or reads the first page of the book, it's everywhere. If Magic Johnson and Charles Barkley and Jordan had played in the era of social media, their personal foibles would have been lambasted on the daily.

That said, as a basketball fan who cut his teeth in the 1980s, I don't see LeBron even close to Michael Jordan. At their primes, Jordan would have eviscerated him mentally in a series matchup. Kobe as well had the killer instinct that LeBron has never shown. I'd also put Magic Johnson above him. He hasn't played in almost 30 years and there's still never been another player like him.
AggieEP
While true that Lebron performed as usual, his team was down in the series 3-1 to the team with the most regular season wins in history. The Warriors were obviously the better overall team, and only had to win one more game with 2 at home, and all of a sudden Kyrie played lights out, and Draymond changed the momentum of the series with his nut kicks. If we could run that series back 100 times, I think GSW wins at least 95% of them.

I don't mean to say that he didn't earn it, it's just odd that out of all the years he somehow won that one. The odds of them winning the series and coming back were astronomically low, and yet they did. So when I say fluky, it's more like he's been apart of 3 very unlikely Finals wins. It's one thing to get lucky and win one despite tall odds, but he's done it 3 times. Perhaps that speaks to his greatness, but I watch a lot of basketball and I see that he's been really lucky not be sitting there with only 1 or 2 titles and a couple of extra finals losses.

It'd be like of Karl Malone and John Stockton would have knocked off the 98 Bulls. The Bulls were clearly the better team, so if the Jazz had won, everyone would have thought that it was a big letdown by the Bulls that allowed the Jazz to steal it. It's more of a perception thing. I still feel the same way about the Giants beating the undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl a number of years ago. It was a fluky win aided by some fluky plays.
CC09LawAg
I like to think of it as basketball karma for that title against the Warriors - he should have won the year before.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Not a real believer in asterisked championships though I 100% have used situational conditions to talk up or talk down the validity of an accomplishment before - but that's just sports fans talking **** about sports.

With that said, there are so many things that happen during the course of a game, a series, or an entire season that could've affected the outcome one way or another. I do believe in a player/team getting hot at the right time, especially with football or other sports where a knockout/single-elimination element is in play.

NBA basketball is not that. There is so much time for attrition to factor in for both sides where I don't consider things fluky at all. Whoever won, was the deserved winner.

LeBron won four rings fair and square. To me, that's all there is to it.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
It's a huge accomplishment, but Michael Jordan is still the GOAT.
Iowaggie
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

I feel like LBJ gets the short end of the stick in a lot of comparisons because he's lived fully in the Internet/social media age, something that Kobe only partially did and Jordan never had to worry about. Every time LeBron says something stupid or reads the first page of the book, it's everywhere. If Magic Johnson and Charles Barkley and Jordan had played in the era of social media, their personal foibles would have been lambasted on the daily.

That said, as a basketball fan who cut his teeth in the 1980s, I don't see LeBron even close to Michael Jordan. At their primes, Jordan would have eviscerated him mentally in a series matchup. Kobe as well had the killer instinct that LeBron has never shown. I'd also put Magic Johnson above him. He hasn't played in almost 30 years and there's still never been another player like him.

This is true for the negatives, but it also means that everything great that today's players do on the court is seen by more people than ever, repeatedly and archived, and quite frankly, we also continue to live in the age of "Best ever". Jordan may have benefitted in coming at the time of cable sports highlights that showed his greatness to a nation that Dr. J didn't get.

We still see highlights of Dr. J, mostly from his Sixers days, but it is hard to find quality content from his ABA and early Sixers days. It didn't make him less good (not arguing Dr. J in the GOAT conversation).

And for that matter, the newspaper clippings don't move a lot of people to emotionally support George Mikan in any of these conversation, or Bill Russell for that matter.

Cultural shifts and rules adaptations have also really benefitted many of today's players. If Kareem doesn't play in college those 4 years, or Mikan - Kareem era players aren't riding trains and playing in Chuck Taylor's with plenty of B2B games, maybe their careers are a lot longer. Kareem really was a very special player.

To me, at best you can do is say the greatest of certain eras, and to me there are 5 guys who clearly were the best of their eras: George Mikan, Bill Russell, Kareem, Jordan, and LeBron.

I still think Kareem has the greatest career of any player.
Iowaggie
AG
BTW, this also happened last night:

As did this on LBJ's record breaking shot:

The Porkchop Express
Iowaggie said:

BTW, this also happened last night:

As did this on LBJ's record breaking shot:

What's the NBA going to do when Russell Westbrook passes the 50,000 turnover mark and his 20,000th missed three-pointer?
The Porkchop Express
I would definitely agree LeBron is the best player from the whenver Kobe hung it up, and it's not even close. The Greek Freak and Luka and Jovic all put up dazzling #s, and Giannis has a title, but LeBron's consistency and forcefulness in games is bar none.

Kareem's talents are ridiculous and most of us don't really remember him until he was balding, goggles wearing, 99% sky hook Kareem with Magic on his level and Worthy a step beneath. With the Bucks and the early years wi the Lakers, he was terrifying to try and contain. Not to mention he has one career three pointer in all those points. he's still nearly 1,800 FGs ahead of LeBron in his career.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.