2017 Audi Q7 advice needed

703 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by AeroAg96
AeroAg96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy Ags - seeking some thoughts on a dilemma I have found myself in.

I own a 2017 Q7 with about 125,000 miles on it. I had to refinance it in 2020 and still owe roughly what the vehicle is worth if in good shape.

I broke down halfway between Dallas and Houston last week with "drive system malfunction " lights and the vehicle running very rough. Towed to Sewell North Houston and they said I have no compression in cylinder 3 and need a new engine. Dealer said $25k which of course it's not worth.

Im not mechanically inclined so im seeking advice from Texags. The dealer wont give me more than $1k on a trade in. Should I tow to another shop for second opinion? Still looking at $10-15k at a shop for engine replacement. Are there 3rd parties that will give me more than the dealer for the vehicle? Other ideas?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have!
Gig 'Em
TikkaShooter
How much is the note?
drumboy
AG
I'd call a couple Indy European shops for a quote.
Fat Tony
AG
https://www.swissgarage.com
AeroAg96
AG
I think it's about $17k
Gig 'Em
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
How was it maintained?

Seems crazy that something would catastrophically fail going down the road….
AeroAg96
AG
Yeah I agree. Did all the recommended maintenance etc and still had a catastrophic failure at 125k.
Gig 'Em
Trinity Ag
S
Is it the 2.0 turbo or the 3.0 V6?

Used engines seem to be running $4-6k.

Seems the best route is buy a used lump out of a wreck, get it installed at an independent, and then sell it -- at least you recoup something.

According to the Audi forums, it doesn't seem that rare to have a loss of compression. Causes:

- broken valve spring (common)
- broken ring (common)
- broken cylinder

Opinions vary -- but most seem to think it is worth investigating the head on a lower mileage car, but over 120k just replace with a used engine. About $10k: $4-6 for used engine + $4k for remove/install.
AeroAg96
AG
It's the V6. I did get an offer for $8500 for it so I'm considering that option as well. But yes my research online seems to point toward a used engine install. Thanks for the help.
Gig 'Em
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.