Thoughts on Ford Explorers?

1,573 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by aggie_wes
AtlAg05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We'll be looking for a 1-2 year old Explorer in the next year or so, model years 2023-2024.

Pros/Cons?

And no minivans needed at this point. . Although I know there are many options in this space with the third rows.
aggie_wes
AG
Pros - not a minivan
Cons - Ford

Hth.
HumpitPuryear
AG
I have a 2021 ST. Love that engine and AWD. Ford build quality sucks. SYNC is still a disaster despite being around for 10+ years. Backup camera recall. Oil leaks. Trim falling off. I knew what I was getting and would not have bought it except for the driveline. It still makes me smile though when I twist the knob to sport mode.
mm98
AG
Rented on last month

Strong engine.

Interior felt very cheap and a lot of cabin noise

Feels like it should hold more cargo. But oddly shaped hatch area is fairly small.

AggieDruggist89
AG
My first thought on Explorer is how they used to flip but Ford blamed it on the Tires. Firestone maybe?

This must have been about 30 years ago.

https://www.fordexplorerrollover.com/
dlp3719
AG
We have a 2023 Platinum. I loved the ST engine but couldn't get over the fit and finish of the interior. Platinum is best of both worlds (mostly) - get the power and a nice interior. The ST does come with bigger brakes.

Threw a tune on it for 93 Octane and daily drive with the kids with 400+ hp.

Like the cooled (and heated) seats. Like the Twin Panel Moonroof. Like the captain chairs in the second row. Use the third row for carpool almost every week.

Negatives are software (Sync) and wireless phone charging is terrible (just so slow).

We are pretty happy with it overall. Expect to keep it 10ish years. We replaced a 3 row 2013 Mazda CX9 with 160k miles.

There's not many 3 row SUV's with a turbo six. All of them seem to have a NA six (unless you go BMW/Audi, etc and spend a lot more).
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I've had several rentals. They're nice. Good power but the 2.3L engine noise at lower speeds isn't very nice.

I'd opt for the 3.0TT myself but if you're just doing mommy wagon stuff , the base engine is just fine.
Bob Lee
AG
We have a 2017 with 50k miles, and we're pleased with it. Mechanically it's been perfect. I need to replace the windshield cowl because it's cracked and brittle from the sun, and it makes a noise at freeway speeds.
kubiak03
AG
I recall ultimately it was the Firestone tires that were found to be the problem.

Long story short, the adhesive Firestone used in the tires didn't like high air temperatures which caused the failures
FIDO95
AG
I had one for several years. I thought the interior fit and finish was good (I had leather trim). I was happy with the engine performance and steering as well. Don't recall having complaints about it being noisy.

My biggest complaint was the leg room (I'm 6'1"). The front wheel well pushes into the foot space area of the driver area narrowing the space. One of the other big issues was that the rear blind spot is horrible. When the backseat head rests are up, your view is really obstructed trying to look out the small back windows. You really have to rely/trust on your mirrors. I do think newer models now have "Blind spot" radars which may alleviate some of that problem.

Edit to remove "mom" reference; I mixed this up with another thread where OP was looking for a vehicle for their mom.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
RVAg02
AG
Had a couple (first one got totaled). Loved the power. Good space. Everything else about it was lame and boring.
austinag1997
AG
I drove a base Explorer as a company vehicle. In general, I was not impressed with the vehicle. Seemed like a rattle trap. Just my opinion. Weigh it with others.
agdoc2001
AG
2016 just rolled over 100k. No mechanical issues.

Sync isn't great, but it's hardly a big deal.
I've had to replace a couple batteries due to terminal corrosion and the washer fluid pump. That's it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Tim Weaver
kubiak03 said:

I recall ultimately it was the Firestone tires that were found to be the problem.

Long story short, the adhesive Firestone used in the tires didn't like high air temperatures which caused the failures
Which the high temperatures were brought on by people not checking their tire pressures. Doing 80 on the interstate with under inflated tires and the weight of an SUV on them was the true cause.
aggie_wes
AG
Tim Weaver said:

kubiak03 said:

Which the high temperatures were brought on by people not checking their tire pressures. Doing 80 on the interstate with under inflated tires and the weight of an SUV on them was the true cause.

This. They also had a significantly higher incidence with women drivers due to both the lack of attention to maintenance and the tendency to overcorrect after a blowout. (Go ahead and be angry, the statistics bore it out)

The tire issue was due to talcum powder used in the vulcanizing of the rubber, and we now have air pressure monitors because of this failure as it was the other contributing factor along with high temps.

So, long post longer, it was the tires and not specifically the vehicle.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.