Outdoors
Sponsored by

Portable Washer Pits

22,692 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by 03_Aggie
lostboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I see guys with these things every year at tailgates for Aggie football games. Its usually some sort of wooden box, covered with carpet on the top.

Anyone have something like this you have built? Would like to hear some ideas, see some pictures if you have them.

Thanks.
RRAggie99
AG
Im at work and only have this one small pic to post....but you will get the idea. I used a 12x48" 3/4" thick piece of plywood w/ a piece of 2x4 at the end. I cut out 3 4" holes and 1 3" hole. I use this order....10pts, 5 pts, 15pt and the furthest 3" hole is 20pts. The router work is just a finishing touch but not required. Game rules can be found online but you are basically going to 50 and cant bust...if you do bust, you start back at 0.

Terk
AG
What does everyone use for washers? I used to have a good supply of industrial washers, but alas that has dried up.

To the OP - you can sink some PVC in ground, or build boards with the PVC in the center and 2x4" around.
dannyag07
AG
Very many different types of washers. We have two flat boxes about 3'x1.5' that has three holes in it. We play to 21. The first hole is worth 1, 2nd is 2, 3rd is 3. There is a chain connected to the two boards to act as a guide for length. Normally about 10-15 ft apart.

Will try and remember to post pics when I get home.
cwc07
AG
I don't have any pics but my college roomate and I built one that was 3'x3'. We just used your standard plywood and then covered the top with carpet. We cut out 5 holes (like dice). Play to 21 if you go over 21 you go down to the number that you went over by. The bottom left is 1 pt. top left 2 pts top right 3 pts bottom right 4 pts middle 5 pts. We put latches on both boxes and a handle on one, so that we could latch them together and carry it around.
Terk
AG
That is cornhole without beanbags... right?

[This message has been edited by aggiestud (edited 4/15/2009 9:26a).]
cwc07
AG
Yes it is.
dulak
AG
I have a 3 hole set at the house that I built out of plywood, 1x4s, and covered in indoor/outdoor carpet. It is about 36 inches long and 18 inches wide. I'll try to take some pictures of it tonight and post them.

As far as the washers go, I picked a bunch at Fastenal in Houston. If you are in the BCS area, check out Ace Bolt and Screw - my dad has bought some there. Washers are 2.5 inches in diameter.

Bombat Washer Co. in Austin sells custom boards and washers, but they are a little pricey. I used the dimensions from their site to build my pits. www.bombatwashers.com
greenmachine
AG
Ive always played the same way as Dannyag, fun game.
Build It
AG
I've got the three hole box type.

Question for you washer pitchers. I have two groups of friends who play differently. One group plays where we stand behind the boxes (7 feet apart) and we score the holes as 1, 3, and 5. The other group we stand on the boxes and score 1,2, and 3.

I have failed at bringing standardization to the crowd.
keithd03
We play on a 5 hole board. The holes on each top corner are worth 2, the middle hole is worth 5, and the bottom holes are worth 1 each.

[This message has been edited by keithd03 (edited 4/15/2009 11:47a).]

[This message has been edited by keithd03 (edited 4/15/2009 11:47a).]
PlanoAg98
AG
I used to play washers all the time when I lived in Texas. However, since moving north I was introduced to bags. It's similar and your bags don't go rolling across the parking lot. Also, flying bags are not as dangerous to others. I went to an NIU college football game in Illinois and there were way more bag boards in the tailgating area as there are washer boards at A&M football taigates.

http://www.baggo.com/default.asp

The don't have an A&M collegiate version yet, so I bought the "BAGGO - Build Your Own" set and put an A&M poster under the plastic covering.
dulak
AG
Beretta - our tailgate group uses a hybrid of the two versions you described - we stand on the boards and use a 1, 3, 5 point system. Everybody has different rules. I will play by any rules as long as they are agreed upon by both teams before the game starts.
03_Aggie
I play on slanted boards with a single hole in the middle.

1-pt for everyone you have closer to the hole
3-pts for one laying over the hole
5-pts for one in the hole.

Build It
AG
dulak

are your boards spaced seven feet apart?
dannyag07
AG
We stand on the board when we throw.
dulak
AG
Beretta - I think I have 8 feet clear between the boards. This puts the front holes 10 feet apart center to center. I have a chain that connects the two boards together to maintain the spacing.

[This message has been edited by dulak (edited 4/15/2009 3:15p).]
doubleag91
AG
quote:
I play on slanted boards with a single hole in the middle.

1-pt for everyone you have closer to the hole
3-pts for one laying over the hole
5-pts for one in the hole.

Identical to "in the ground" washers.

A couple of other points:

Bust is an equalizer, keep it out of a competitive game.

Holes should be 21' apart.

The washers are 1". Not 1" in diameter, but for a 1" bolt. The thicker (heavier) the better.
Build It
AG
dulak

I agree with the eight foot spacing. I also have a chain between mine. Also good for storing the washers on so they don't get lost.

Other point I forgot to mention. One group plays four washers, the other three.

This was a source of major controversy at the church fundraising tourney.
doubleag91
AG
Four washers.

Helps the game go a little quicker.
lostboy
03 - Thats how I have always played. 1 hole.

Here is a picture of what I'm thinking of building...

http://albany.craigslist.org/tag/1089253980.html

Fill it with sand/clay dirt and play away.
Build It
AG
Sorry we hijacked your thread. But its high time someone standardized the rules for three hole washers. This willy nilly distance, scoring, and number of washers crap has gone on long enough.

Then again we wouldn't have anything to *itch about while playing.
dulak
AG
Beretta - We play three washers per team.

I drilled a hole through one of the supports under one board and secure the washers to it with a bolt. I think I have 15 or so washers with it at all times - we tend to lose a few after a long day of drinking before the games.
Build It
AG
I just bought the fancy painted aTm washers last time at was in CS at the MSC. They come four to a set. My son lost one so its a good thing we play three when on my turf.
03_Aggie
Mine are more based on this design except they are made out of wood and the tops are covered in an outdoor carpet.

http://www.rivercitywashers.com/products-Evo2Pro-washers.html

I have a bolt on one side that will hold all of the washers and then the two boards latch together and have a handle to carry them around.
dulak
AG
lostboy - sorry about hijacking the thread.

Academy sells a washer board set similar to what you linked to:

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/sports/outdoor_games/washers

If the dimensions suit you, it may be cheaper to purchase than to build.

A comment about the link - I don't know how they are throwing 3/4" washers 23 feet with any accuracy.

lostboy
dulak... Thanks for the link! Exactly what I was looking for, and for cheaper than I could build + time. Off to Academy!

And yeah - no way anyone is getting close @ 23ft...
Build It
AG
23 feet would definately restrict my ability to stop my unused washers on the board without busting 21 to win.

Do you play that way as well? Or do you just play the first to 21?
dulak
AG
Sounds like we use the same rules - 21 points exactly, any washers left in your hand have to land on the board. If you bust, you go back to 11 points. Not landing the remaining washers on the board nulls out the last points scored.
junior200414
AG
2'x2' (3'x3' in ag class) one hole boards.
2'x4' square sub structure supporting 2'x'2 board with hole in middle by using pvc
1' 1/2" OD washers (heavy kind)
Holes 21' apart
Two teams
three washer per team
play to 21
Skunk at 11-0
1pt closest to hole, 3pt for leaner, 5pt for hole
No busts

If team Y makes 21+ and still has washers in his hand, then team X throws until he negates the point of team Y, or if team X cannot negate points, team X gets to use team Y's remaining washers to try and negate team Y's points.
Conversely, if team Y only needs C pts for win, they can throw down may throw down remaining washers except for the number that they need to score those C pts. This way team X doesnt get to use extra washers if they cant cover the points.

Edit: Hope the last part isnt to confusing.
---------------------------
Sic Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

[This message has been edited by junior200414 (edited 4/15/2009 5:30p).]
bam02
AG
I've built them either 2' x 2' or 2.5' Wide x 2' Deep with a 4" hole centered. Mine simply are framed out on the front three sides with 2x2's and a 2x4 on the back so it sits higher in the back and slants forward. This design is nice because they fit together and form an enclosed "suitcase". I put a handle on one of them on the 2x4 so it can be carried as such, too. I have a little bolt mounted inside that conveniently holds all the washers. Obviously they are carpeted, too.

I can provide a better description or pics if anyone would like.
lostboy
bam - mind posting up some pics? Sounds like a nice design...
Centerpole90
AG
Washer Pits. We used to have some at our tailgate party until we got too drunk to remember to pick them up. To whoever has them - enjoy 'em!
dannyag07
AG

The dimensions are 2'x4' with 4" holes. There are two baords and they are chained together 10' apart.
Comeby!
AG
I think I hear a banjo playing...
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.