Does the US have EMP capability?

3,067 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by ts5641
SuhrThang
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If so, what circumstances would cause it to be used?

A targeted strike in the Middle East would be OK with me but what do I know?
“A drunkard’s dream if I ever did see one”
Rapier108
Any country with a missile deliverable nuclear weapon has EMP capability.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
aggiehawg
AG
Rapier108 said:

This.

But also, can simulate EMP in limited places such as Sandia Labs. (IHIOGA but don't ask.)
BQ_90
AG
We have i, see remake of Oceans 11
FCBlitz
Not sure serious…
AustinAg2K
We're going to need them in our upcoming war against the AI robots.
TexAgs91
AG
AustinAg2K said:

I, for one, welcome our robot overlords.
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
mm98
AG
BQ_90 said:

Well it would have to be a pretty big pinch…
Buck Turgidson
Given that the US is among the absolute most vulnerable countries to an EMP attack, I would hesitate to be the first to launch such a strike.
Muy
AG
SuhrThang said:

Yes…

Every hardworking American
Must
Pay more
YouBet
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

Given that the US is among the absolute most vulnerable countries to an EMP attack, I would hesitate to be the first to launch such a strike.

No one likes a LaRusso.

Strike First, Strike Hard, No Mercy.
Buck Turgidson
YouBet said:

Buck Turgidson said:

No one likes a LaRusso.

Strike First, Strike Hard, No Mercy.

Cobra Kai diplomacy?
eric76
AG
aggiehawg said:

Rapier108 said:

This.

But also, can simulate EMP in limited places such as Sandia Labs. (IHIOGA but don't ask.)
I understand that we have devices that can cause a significant EMP over the area of a fewe blocks. Using them in downtown areas would be devastating.
eaa84059-c3ef-468a-998c-75e682c328fa@8shield.net
eric76
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

Maybe, but I think that it is a potential problem with any use of nuclear weapons.

Wasn't there issues with some of the early atmospheric nuclear bomb tests?
eaa84059-c3ef-468a-998c-75e682c328fa@8shield.net
Albatross Necklace
I'm concerned that our October Surprise will be the CIA launching an EMP on the US and blaming it on Russia
The Kraken
AG
Albatross Necklace said:

I'm concerned that our October Surprise will be the CIA launching an EMP on the US and blaming it on Russia

Where do people come up with this stuff?
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
usmcbrooks
mm98 said:

BQ_90 said:

Well it would have to be a pretty big pinch…

We're in barney
Smittyfubar
AG
TexAgs91 said:

AustinAg2K said:

You just want to be plugged into the matrix.
TexAgs91
AG
Ag_B_10 said:

TexAgs91 said:

AustinAg2K said:

You just want to be plugged into the matrix.
Their rule is coming. I just want to be on record.
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
UTExan
Yes, we do:
https://science.howstuffworks.com/e-bomb3.htm
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Jock 07
AG
eric76 said:

Buck Turgidson said:

Maybe, but I think that it is a potential problem with any use of nuclear weapons.

Wasn't there issues with some of the early atmospheric nuclear bomb tests?

Larger tests like starfish prime unknowingly pumped the van Allen belts and killed a few LEO satellites. Not many there to be affected back then but a similar detonation today would have huge ramifications.
MouthBQ98
AG
Any large thermonuclear warhead can cause the effect. It just has to be detonated at the right altitude relative to the intended effect area. I'm sure there are specific warhead designs that can optimize it.
Tramp96
Albatross Necklace said:

I'm concerned that our October Surprise will be the CIA launching an EMP on the US and blaming it on Russia trying to help Trump

FIFY.
DeSantis 2024
MiamiHopper
SuhrThang said:

I just don't see standalone EMP weapon use outside of nuclear weapons. What's the point of an attacker doing this instead of full nuclear assault? The "EMP scare" has more to do with feeding survivalist/prepper fantasies.
BertMacklinFBI
Perhaps we could try out a small scale one on these Pro-Palestinian "protester" on college campuses.

Once their Iphones go down my guess is they go home rather quickly.
BQ_90
AG
Albatross Necklace said:

keep wearing your tinfoil hat and you'll be protected
YouBet
AG
The Kraken said:

Albatross Necklace said:

From our own history of running black ops and scientific experiments on our own citizens. Plus, everything we've learned since 2016 about the Deep State and Democrats running a coup against Trump, their collusion with big tech to spy, their collusion with big tech to suppress free speech that is not Democrat approved. We could go on and on.

Nothing is off the table anymore when it comes to government malfeasance. While I don't think they would go to this length, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they did.
The Kraken
AG
YouBet said:

The Kraken said:

Albatross Necklace said:

From our own history of running black ops and scientific experiments on our own citizens. Plus, everything we've learned since 2016 about the Deep State and Democrats running a coup against Trump, their collusion with big tech to spy, their collusion with big tech to suppress free speech that is not Democrat approved. We could go on and on.

Nothing is off the table anymore when it comes to government malfeasance. While I don't think they would go to this length, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they did.
"Hey Bob...management wants us to pick get this nuclear device from the DOD and explode it over NYC. Can you call our contact at the Air Force and have them drop it off here at Langley?"

"Sure, Tom! No problem!"
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
aggiehawg
AG
BertMacklinFBI said:

Perhaps we could try out a small scale one on these Pro-Palestinian "protester" on college campuses.

Once their Iphones go down my guess is they go home rather quickly.
Easier ways to shut down phone service without an EMP. But now the FBI cannot buy geofencing information but the private universities can.
YouBet
AG
The Kraken said:

YouBet said:

The Kraken said:

Albatross Necklace said:

"Hey Bob...management wants us to pick get this nuclear device from the DOD and explode it over NYC. Can you call our contact at the Air Force and have them drop it off here at Langley?"

"Sure, Tom! No problem!"

Certainly sounds insane. Again, so did many things before 2016.

It's not like our government is this wholesome altruistic entity. We do bad **** all the time.
milner79
The Kraken said:

Albatross Necklace said:

User name checks out.
richardag
UTExan said:

Yes, we do:
https://science.howstuffworks.com/e-bomb3.htm
Thank you for the link. My guess is that this research is continuing.
Taking out electronics in a very targeted manner.
K2-HMFIC
What annoys me about the EMP stuff is that...yes it is an issue...but you've got to worry about the nuclear blast a "bit" more.
BQ_90
AG
K2-HMFIC said:

What annoys me about the EMP stuff is that...yes it is an issue...but you've got to worry about the nuclear blast a "bit" more.
sorta like it's not the heat but it's the humidity
P.U.T.U
AG
Never saw Oceans 11 did ya?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.