Any Realtors on here?

22,661 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How/where did you get your license? What the quickest way? Community college or private company?
555-PINF
I did mine correspondence through A&M Commerce. It was pretty simple. I really only needed four 3-hour classes because of everything I'd taken at A&M.

You order everything online, they send you the material, you study, take a quiz, and they mail a proctor of your choice (library, police station, etc) the exam for that class. You take the open book test and send it in. After all four of your classes are complete, you have to take the state test, which is fairly difficult - most people take two or three tries to pass it.

It maybe cost $1000 after everything was said and done. However, keep in mind that once you get your license, you'll likely have to join an MLS society and pay state and local dues - all of that adds up to another grand or so.

My only advice is don't do it as a second income or "when I have time" or anything like that - it has to be treated like a full time job in order for you to be successful. If you're not working or looking for work *at least* 8-5 on weekdays and a majority of your weekend, you'll struggle.
rooster86
My wife took her classes through Capitol Real Estate (I think it's part of Tech). The cost was ~$400, that included books, tests, etc. Of course you have to pay for the State test, and as Emeril said, all the MLS dues, TAR dues, etc. That being said, getting started is the hardest part (money wise). Once you get an established clientele or good referall program, the business can be very profitable.

We took this approach, I make enough to support both of us, so anything she does real estate wise is extra money in the bank for extracirriculars, savings, kids, etc. Make sure you like being around people (including a wide array of ignorant people).

Good luck.
wadd96
AG
FYI... they changed the reqs after 1/1/06. It is now 5 classes if you have a semester of college, or 7 if you don't.

Is this better Mitch?
McAllenBroker
AG
Peter...are you getting your license soon? Does it have to do with your possible move to the Valley? Let me know if you need some advice/info.
Peter Gibbons
I've been toying with the idea of getting one, but not sure. No, it doesnt have anything to do with moving to the valley. I have a dream of buying an older building and renovating it into up-scale condos/flats/lofts and was wanting to be my own realtor so i dont have to pay someone else. Pipe dream im sure, but who knows.
555-PINF
As a buyer, you won't have to pay - the seller pays the agents' comissions. If you're gonna try and re-sell the units as condos, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get your license - it'd be a hassle, but you'd save some money for your troubles.
McAllenBroker
AG
That's cool.. not such a pipe dream, but if you do decide to go after a license, dont forget about fees and dues. That and you'd have to work under a broker for two years, before you could be technically on your own.

But, can always buy things and renovate and do it all for sale by owner. You could also find a cool local broker to discount a commission for you too
Peter Gibbons
Yes, that second thing is what i plan to do. I'd own the building, but id sell the individual units.
insanediego
AG
I went thru A&M-Commerce too. I did the home course so I could have the textbooks. Open books tests with no time limit.....lol

website
http://www.celi-edu.com

There are agents that do it part time, but they don't do it well. Ya need to be able to work after 5PM and weekends. But the job is a blank chalkboard and you write on it what you want to do.....best yet - YOU are the boss
Peter Gibbons
muchas gracias y'all.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.