Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The nfl schedules games the same time as three first round cfp games

3,749 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by BMX Bandit
45-70Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Bold move by the nfl to give the college playoff the finger.
An L of an Ag
AG
They're undermining their own farm league!!!

Or something.
AirlineAg97
AG
I'm pretty sure that having the home field advantage for the first time in the CFP will be a bit more appealing than these games... Then again I always draft LJ in fantasy...
Showstopper
AG
The NFL murders everything in ratings. If you are thinking college games will win in the ratings because they are playoff games, I would temper your expectations. Texags does not love the NFL, but America as a whole does.
1995aggie
AG
Well yes that's true regular season vs regular season but that is because the nfl only has 32 teams where college football has 4 times that. So of course that holds in regular season. But a college football playoff game will absolutely rival a regular season nfl game. Will be close for sure.
Hehateme1
so ?? my remote changes channels pretty quick

I watch what I want
ccolley68
AG
The NFL still has a league to run, and games to be played. As the playoff field continues to expand, some overlap between college and pro was inevitable. And those are at normal NFL days and times. It's not like the CFP scheduled games at 2:00pm on a Tuesday, a day and time neither league ever plays, and the NFL decided to also schedule Tuesday afternoon games as an FU
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I follow both college football and NFL, and I think the two NFL games on NBC and Fox will beat the 3 CFP games on ESPN by a landslide for several reasons.

1. The NFL is much more popular than college football.

2. The NFL games games on NBC and Fox will be much more accessible to football fans than the CFP games on ESPN because many people don't have cable, including myself.

3. Both NFL games could have playoff implications in week 16.

4. All 4 NFL teams playing on December 21st will play 4 days later on Christmas: Kansas City Chiefs at Pittsburgh Steelers at 1:00 PM eastern time and Baltimore Ravens at Houston Texans at 4:30 PM, and both games will be aired on Netflix. That means NFL fans will get to see these 4 teams play twice in a 5-day span.

https://sports.yahoo.com/christmas-games-chiefs-host-texans-010043540.html

5. Because of 2 NFL games on Christmas Day, there will be at least one NFL game on 9 of 12 days between Thursday, December 19th and Monday December 30th across Weeks 16 and 17. The only exceptions for that 12-day span are Friday, December 20th, Tuesday, December 24th, and Friday, December 27th. There are 4 NFL games that could be played on Saturday, December 28th.

NFL Scores - Regular Season Week 17, 2024 - ESPN

BMX Bandit
AirlineAg97 said:

I'm pretty sure that having the home field advantage for the first time in the CFP will be a bit more appealing than these games... Then again I always draft LJ in fantasy...
it will be interesting to see, at least to ratings nerds like myself.

last years nfl games in that spot

bengals/steelers: 14.29
bills/chargers: 7.33

(the next week, cowboys/lions drew 26.11; not a fair comparison)

last years irrelvant cotton bowl missouri and tOSU drew 9.72mm.

For the playoff first round, I'd think a alabama v oregon first round game or something like that would easily go over 7.33mm, probably even over 14.29mm

but something like tennessee v liberty? doubtful

the matchups do make a great difference.
NyAggie
AG
Imho, it's only a matter of time before the nfl starts putting regular season games on Saturdays during the college football regular season

Gentlemen's agreement be damned

Just go ask Sankey about the meaning of gentlemen's agreements
BMX Bandit
Quote:

its not a gentleman's agreement, its federal law
kbarj
AG
TV will decide the priority of the NFL vs the CFB. The reason for a Monday night game for the CFB Championship is that it is an "open" TV night. Money talks, so unless college football starts being a bigger TV draw and pushes for specific nights, they will be at the mercy of the networks.
Bill '77
SinKiller
1995aggie said:

Well yes that's true regular season vs regular season but that is because the nfl only has 32 teams where college football has 4 times that. So of course that holds in regular season. But a college football playoff game will absolutely rival a regular season nfl game. Will be close for sure.
Zero chance...The NFL is #1 wherever it airs, it will destroy a college game.
greg.w.h
AG
After CFB abandons the regular season the NFL schedules Saturday games. Not news. The news is that the CFP put three games on the same day in an effort to minimize scheduling against the NFL: Note this schedule has been confirmed:

" First round -- Friday, Dec 20 (one game) and Saturday, Dec. 21 (three games)
Quarterfinals -- Tuesday, Dec. 31 (three games) and Wednesday, Jan. 1 (one game)
Semifinals -- Thursday and/or Friday, Jan. 9-10
College Football Playoff National Championship -- Monday, Jan. 20"

Source https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-playoff-schedule-dates-set-for-2024-2025-seasons-with-field-expanding-to-12-teams/

Later confirmation source https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-playoff-schedule-dates-set-for-2024-2025-seasons-with-field-expanding-to-12-teams/
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
NyAggie said:

Imho, it's only a matter of time before the nfl starts putting regular season games on Saturdays during the college football regular season

There is a federal law, the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961, that prohibits the NFL from televising games within a certain vicinity of live high school or college games, so as not to diminish potential attendance at the latter events. Because most high school and college schedules have winded down, there is more flexibility on the NFL's part. That's why Saturday NFL games usually start in Week 15 around mid-December. Because of the Army-Navy game on December 15th, Saturday games will be on Week 16-18 this year.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/why-is-there-a-saturday-nfl-tripleheader-games-teams-times-how-to-watch-stream-week-15-matchups/#:~:text=Two%20other%20factors%20in%20the,attendance%20at%20the%20latter%20events.
agnerd
AG
I know the Big 10 has the "better" TV deal, but is that temporary? Fox and NBC are prioritizing NFL over NCAA while ABC seems to prioritize NCAA. ABC may have a more vested interest in NCAA. Now I'm starting to wonder if the Fox and NBC will use their NFL revenues to subsidize the NCAA TV contracts. Big 10 will continue to have the better contract if that occurs. But if ABC controls all the playoff money, I wonder if the Big 10 TV stations will continue to invest in Big 10 teams only to have the big ratings/profits occur during the playoffs while ABC is reaping the rewards of the Big 10 teams.

Or is this a ploy to try to destroy ABC profits from the playoffs? Does ABC schedule a playoff game on Sunday next year in retaliation? Should be an interesting battle.
BMX Bandit

Quote:

Fox and NBC are prioritizing NFL over NCAA

how so? they are different entitles on different days for all but one week.

Quote:

Or is this a ploy to try to destroy ABC profits from the playoffs? Does ABC schedule a playoff game on Sunday next year in retaliation? Should be an interesting battle.
the nfl already plays games on saturday that weekend. there is no ploy here. ABC is not stupid. they aren't going to schedule a sunday game. that kind of retaliation would be like cutting off your dong because you went on a date where your ex girlfriend was working.
TXAG 05
AG
agnerd said:

I know the Big 10 has the "better" TV deal, but is that temporary? Fox and NBC are prioritizing NFL over NCAA while ABC seems to prioritize NCAA. ABC may have a more vested interest in NCAA. Now I'm starting to wonder if the Fox and NBC will use their NFL revenues to subsidize the NCAA TV contracts. Big 10 will continue to have the better contract if that occurs. But if ABC controls all the playoff money, I wonder if the Big 10 TV stations will continue to invest in Big 10 teams only to have the big ratings/profits occur during the playoffs while ABC is reaping the rewards of the Big 10 teams.

NFL owns Sunday. Ever wonder why the New Years games are played on the 2nd when the 1st falls on Sunday? The only time you will see a Sunday college game is opening weekend when the NFL hasn't started yet.

Like others have said, the NFL playing on Saturdays after the CFB regular season is over is nothing new.
agnerd
AG
I see it more as a Ford vs Tesla type deal. Ford makes lots of vehicles while Tesla makes electric. Ford uses profits from gas cars to fund its electric cars to try to beat Tesla at their own game. But Tesla concentrates 100% on electric and has a fan following. Even if Ford makes a superior electric car, Tesla still seems to sell more. Ford has recently tempered its attempts to beat out Tesla since it was losing money on the electrics.

If ABC goes all-in on NCAA and CFB, will they be able to have the superior contracts in the future? Will they pay more than the Big 10? Is the NBC/FOX/CBS big financial commitment to CFB temporary if they have to use their NFL money to subsidize it?
NyAggie
AG
Iraq2xVeteran said:

NyAggie said:

There is a federal law, the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961, that prohibits the NFL from televising games within a certain vicinity of live high school or college games, so as not to diminish potential attendance at the latter events. Because most high school and college schedules have winded down, there is more flexibility on the NFL's part. That's why Saturday NFL games usually start in Week 15 around mid-December. Because of the Army-Navy game on December 15th, Saturday games will be on Week 16-18 this year.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/why-is-there-a-saturday-nfl-tripleheader-games-teams-times-how-to-watch-stream-week-15-matchups/#:~:text=Two%20other%20factors%20in%20the,attendance%20at%20the%20latter%20events.

Ahh did not know that, thx
greg.w.h
AG
Everything Musk touches is subsidized by the government. He takes it public at scale and pockets the excess investment and uses it to do the next thing. The one exceptions were Zip2 and (the original) X.com/PayPal. Oh. And the re-branded Twitter cum "new" X.com.

Ford has had substantial wartime subsidies and you could argue Ike's Interstate Highway System is one of them. But they are a zombie company kept alive to funnel funds to Democrats. Note of the Big 3 as far as I am aware Ford has not ever received any kind of direct government bailout (the worst kind of subsidy because it privatizes profit and uses future taxpayer revenue to socialize moral hazard and loss.)

BMX trying to hide "cutting off one's nose to spite one's face" in his more sensationalistic rendering is surprisingly more accurate than this comparison.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Iraq2xVeteran said:

NyAggie said:

Wow, I honestly don't remember ever reading that before. Thanks.
Craigy
College football doesn't have a rudder on their ship and the NFL is a luxury cruise ship. With the complete uncertainty of college football's future they are now a rival for viewership. NIL opened this up. Will colleges allow players to play 10 years and receive NIL money? Who knows? Colleges have entered into professional football. Is NFL killing the golden goose by suppling the NFL with free trained employees? Heck no. NFL will get trained players even if they have to create their own minor league or not.
TXPremiumBoy
AG
I may be in the minority but the NFL has become like the NBA to me ... totally unwatchable. A total **** show as far as I'm concerned. I even tried to become a Lions fan last year due to Dan Campbell. Watched a game or two and fell asleep. Just unwatchable. I guess I am officially one of the 'olds' now. Just don't know if the NFL can get me back now. I realize I am not in their target demographic on many levels (White, Middle Aged and Male).

NCAA Div 1 football is starting to concern me ... it is still fun and I will tune into random games between like, Georgia State vs ETSU and still enjoy them. But Div 1 football is going down the path of losing me (and my season ticket money). Div 2 football has been much more enjoyable to me over the past few years. Yes, I had a son playing at Colorado School of Mines and they made the Div 2 Natty Championship game two years in a row, so there is that. Will be interesting to see if I continue to watch this year (and next year and years to follow) now that I don't have a parental interest.

So, what's my point ... I don't give a **** when the NFL schedules anything. I'm not gonna be watching anyway.
AG
Who cares??
TXPremiumBoy
AG
4 said:

Who cares??
Exactly.
RichAg
College football playoff game will absolutely rival a regular season nfl game.
NowhereMan
Big Brother making sure little brother stays in his lane.
rootube
AG
Craigy said:

College football doesn't have a rudder on their ship and the NFL is a luxury cruise ship. With the complete uncertainty of college football's future they are now a rival for viewership. NIL opened this up. Will colleges allow players to play 10 years and receive NIL money? Who knows? Colleges have entered into professional football. Is NFL killing the golden goose by suppling the NFL with free trained employees? Heck no. NFL will get trained players even if they have to create their own minor league or not.

What do you want to bet that "rudderless" CFP sets records for viewership with next year's playoff?
BMX Bandit
Quote:

What do you want to bet that "rudderless" CFP sets records for viewership with next year's playoff?

Most watched playoff game played on campus seems like a lock.
BMX Bandit
ESPN is sub licensing a game to TNT. That game likely will be less watched than an over the air NFL game if they are in same slot
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.