Special thanks to Mac Resource Computers for their sponsorship of all women's basketball content produced throughout the season at TexAgs.com! Once again this season, all WBB content will be available free ... so feel free to pass around any of our women's hoops stuff to your friends.
Low bandwidth mode (return to normal)
Video trouble? Try our alternate mode.
Vic Schaefer joins TexAgs Radio from Norman on gameday
February 21, 2012
Notes from Vic Schaefer interview* Have a half game lead right now for second place in the Big 12 over Oklahoma, but that could be erased tonight if the team isn’t careful. Playing in Norman has been tough over the past few years, winning only 2 of 8 recently. There is no doubt that there is a lot on the line for both A&M and Oklahoma tonight.
* The team has had some really good games on the road this year with the wins at Kansas and at Texas Tech being two of the best games all season. The team has probably had worse games at home as far as production goes than they have had on the road in some games.
* The first game against OU this year, the girls were down three at the half and ended up winning by 17. In the second half, the team played really well and really guarded well. By doing that, they were able to create a lot of offense with their defensive play. The team needs to be strong in the post on both sides of the floor in order for this team to have success. Last Saturday against Oklahoma State, the one, two and three players combined for a 6-32 shooting night which shows that the team needs to shoot the ball better. The team has good players and good shooters, but needs that extra edge and confidence to knock down some of those shots. In the first game, OU had a girl who was averaging quite a few points at the four, and Adora Elonu held her to zero shots. Adora had a lot to do with wrecking them offensively with the way she played defensively.
* Tyra White and Adora Elonu both had 13 rebounds against Oklahoma State on Saturday. They both played well by rebounding the ball extremely hard and the team definitely needed that. Oklahoma State deserves credit for hanging around until the end of the game. With this team, it’s no different than any of the other teams in the past; they have to guard, defend and create offense with the defense. For this team, it’s been a challenge to do so, but they have really answered the bell in that sense lately. In the past few games, they have been able to hold two Big 12 opponents to less than 40 points. They need to shoot the ball a little better and need to execute a little better, but he thinks they are already playing a lot better than the last time they faced OU. He will also be anxious to see the toughness of the team tonight.
* No doubt that Sydney Carter is finding ways to score and contribute even with not shooting well lately. She still gets every team’s best player and guards everyone’s leading scoring guard. She harassed the OSU point guard the other night just like she has the rest of the season. She is a kid who understands what it takes to win and this team would not be anywhere near as successful if it wasn’t for her play.
* Thinks the team had been playing pretty well until they went to Waco. The team has had a little bit of a hangover after that and they need to just get back to playing well and focusing on what they do well. The team has to keep guarding, defending and showing toughness in order to stay competitive the rest of the way through league play. When the team has the mentality of being the aggressor and the tougher team, they play their best and can beat almost anyone who comes their way.
Sumlin, Holgorsen give final pre-Liberty Bowl impressions
by TexAgs Studios
by Olin Buchanan
by Olin Buchanan
by TexAgs Studios