Recruiting Noob Question

1,808 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Bone6
Athanasius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't follow this all that much, however...

Why would we be ranked so highly (composite is about 9th) when we have so few 5s, 4s?

I mean we have more 3s than anyone, but that doesn't give me confidence with on-field translation.

2 x 5 stars can dominate a game.

Help me understand.
John Maplethorpe
AG
High ranked 3 stars are worth almost as many recruiting "points" as some 4 stars.

Plus many schools have less commits and will pass us unless we add some 4 or 5s.
Bone6
Quote:

Why would we be ranked so highly (composite is about 9th) when we have so few 5s, 4s?
We have about ~7 dependinng on the site you look at. That's nothing to scoff at. If you're getting double digit 4/5 stars, you're going to finishing in the top 15 at least and maybe the top 10 in class rankings.

Quote:

I mean we have more 3s than anyone, but that doesn't give me confidence with on-field translation.

You're undervaluing some of those 3 stars. There are several tiers of recruits. A lot of those 3 stars were strongly desired by many other power 5 schools and will make major contributions.

Quote:

2 x 5 stars can dominate a game.

This simply isn't true, at least in a vacuum. Sure, on a team full of other solid if not elite players two 5 stars can absolutely dominate a game, but if you put Cam Newton and Myles Garrett on North Texas this year you would certainly make that team better, but they would still get their asses handed to them against most power 5 schools.

EDIT: The one thing I will give you is that especially early in the recruiting cycle, recruiting ranking formulas under rate programs that have small classes filled with blue chippers. West Coast kids tend to commit much later in the recruiting cycle than the rest of the country, so a school like USC is normally outside of the top 10 all year only to normally close strong and finish in the top 5.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.