What Recruiting Class Rank Will we Get for 2017 if We're 10-2 or 11-1?

4,624 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by beerad12man
3rd and 2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If we can do really, really well this year, what recruiting class rank do you think we'll get?
FriendlyAg
TMF
AG
technoviking
AG
Top 8
Meximan
Currently sniffing the top ten, so maybe 8?

There aren't too many huge names that are big A&M leans right now. Could finish without a single five star player.
VikingNik
AG
There is often a one year delay in a good season equating to a great recruiting class. Seniors have made up their mind, Juniors, not so much.
FrontPorchAg
OUs F-350s are keeping our class down
beerad12man
AG
2017 will be hard to get in the top 10. We already have so many commits. Fringe top 10-12.

Now 2018? The sky would be the limit with that one. Top 5 type class
TMartin
When you ask Sumlin and A&M is winning he always says most recruiting is decided the year before and when they are losing he says we need to win.......fo figure.
West Point Aggie
AG
Whoa...and what if we are 12-0 and then 13-0...followed by 14-0 and 15-0!?!?

FrontPorchAg
beerad12man said:

2017 will be hard to get in the top 10. We already have so many commits. Fringe top 10-12.

I think it depends on how many we take in this class. I've seen speculation that we might take 6-7 more. Then a top ten finish is definately possible.
beerad12man
AG
It would take landing nearly all 4/5 stars in those 6-7 spots. Including at least one 5 star such as Marvin Wilson. I've plugged the numbers many times. Very unlikely to finish top 10 based on who we are projected to land. We would need a drastic change of mind by multiple recruits
Tamu_mgm
AG
beerad12man said:

Beerad you got to remember we can take a lot in this class due to how many early enrollees we have coming in. If we can get 5 big time prospects on board, that should land us in the top 10.
beerad12man
AG
Tamu_mgm said:

beerad12man said:

Beerad you got to remember we can take a lot in this class due to how many early enrollees we have coming in. If we can get 5 big time prospects on board, that should land us in the top 10.
Again, I've already factored that all in. I've already plugged in multiple scenarios into the class calculator. No matter how you slice it, it's going to be difficult to maintain a top 10 ranking. We're going to have to land multiple prospects down the stretch that we currently don't lead for. Even if we took 30, if we just simply filled up on guys we lead for now like Hines, Johnson, Sheffield, etc., we still would be more likely to finish in the 10-15 range than top 10.

Now, if we change the mind of a couple of big time guys like Marvin Wilson or Austin Deculus, that changes the equation.

Another thing to factor in is if 3-4 of our current commits get bumps in the rating between now and signing day, that changes the equation.

As it is, even with taking 30 guys, if you look at who we are currently projected and/or have a good shot with, a top 10 class is unlikely based on the simple class calculator on 247. Things can change though. We have 4 months so we'll see.
12thMan86
AG
Around 10
Jevertson
AG
Agree with around 10. Would think it impacts the 2018 class, especially if we roll this kind of success into next season.
CasualObserver44
AG
beerad12man said:

Tamu_mgm said:

beerad12man said:

Again, I've already factored that all in. I've already plugged in multiple scenarios into the class calculator. No matter how you slice it, it's going to be difficult to maintain a top 10 ranking. We're going to have to land multiple prospects down the stretch that we currently don't lead for. Even if we took 30, if we just simply filled up on guys we lead for now like Hines, Johnson, Sheffield, etc., we still would be more likely to finish in the 10-15 range than top 10.

Now, if we change the mind of a couple of big time guys like Marvin Wilson or Austin Deculus, that changes the equation.

Another thing to factor in is if 3-4 of our current commits get bumps in the rating between now and signing day, that changes the equation.

As it is, even with taking 30 guys, if you look at who we are currently projected and/or have a good shot with, a top 10 class is unlikely based on the simple class calculator on 247. Things can change though. We have 4 months so we'll see.
This.

Even if Marvin Wilson, Anthony Hines, Devodrick Johnson, and Joshua Rogers all committed tomorrow it would only bump us up to #6, and that's if no one else added players. We're almost certainly going to finish somewhere between 10-15.

My guess is that we get passed by Michigan, Florida, Southern Cal, Auburn, and maybe Texas. That puts us 13th, which I'd say is pretty close.
SEC Champs
AG
It's a nice thought, but class rankings should be taken lightly. Just look at the Class of '13. #Who'sLeft?

http://tamu.247sports.com/Season/2013-Football/Commits

I'd much rather a coach fill every position of need with a couple 3 and 4 stars than whiff on a five star who may not even pan out anyway.
underthesea
AG
Wede01 said:

It's a nice thought, but class rankings should be taken lightly. Just look at the Class of '13. #Who'sLeft?

I'd much rather a coach fill every position of need with a couple 3 and 4 stars than whiff on a five star who may not even pan out anyway.

class of '13 is #9 nationally...

class of '14 is #5.

Tell me again how that class sucked?

stars do matter, ask bama.

beerad12man
AG
Wede01 said:

Every team since the star rankings have come about except one who has won a national championships has had at least 3 top 10 classes on campus. It's very important to consistently recruit top 10 classes, especially in our conference. One might even argue top 5 is needed since we have to beat bama to win one.

Let's stop using one or two examples amongst ample evidence elsewhere in trying to prove our points. Do you want to the exception or the rule, which were more than capable of doing.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Wede01 said:

If your entire class is 4 and 5 star guys every year like Bama, then you don't care if you have some washouts.
tamusc
TXM Pride
That's the exact point. When you're stacked top to bottom with talent it's ok when a few of these highly rated guys don't pan out. However, for us if we only get 1 or 2 at a given position over the course of a few years and that particular player, or players, don't pan out then we're screwed. That's the reason we have a few glaring weaknesses still. Getting better tho.
CasualObserver44
AG
beerad12man said:

Wede01 said:

Every team since the star rankings have come about except one who has won a national championships has had at least 3 top 10 classes on campus. It's very important to consistently recruit top 10 classes, especially in our conference. One might even argue top 5 is needed since we have to beat bama to win one.

Let's stop using one or two examples amongst ample evidence elsewhere in trying to prove our points. Do you want to the exception or the rule, which were more than capable of doing.
Out of curiosity which is the exception? 2010 Auburn?
beerad12man
AG
I think so. I didn't go down each teams list personally but just remember reading that stat elsewhere.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.