Suggestion For HS Players Considering Bama

4,319 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Josepi
Maroon Flash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Contact Maurice Smith and find out what he thinks of Saban!

Smith graduates on Saturday and wants to play elsewhere next year. Saban is being a real asshat about it:

quote:
"On Friday, June 17, I arrived at the athletic facility locker room to find my locker cleaned out and all of my personal belongings in the trash (photo attached) underneath trash," Maurice Smith wrote. "These personal items included my family photos, written goals, inspirational and sentimental items memorializing my deceased former friend, roommate and teammate, Altee Tenpenny, and items of personal value from my former teammates."

Saban has slow played granting his release since June, even renewing Smith's grant in aid, although he banned Smith from all athletic facilities. Saban later revoked the grant in aid.

Smith's family is quite upset with Saban's tactics, especially considering Smith is graduating this week, and if he isn't released, he has to sit out this season with no scholarship.
12thmanfootball
AG
Why any recruit would want to go to Bama and wait 3 years to play at most 2 is beyond me.

Plus their fan base is spoiled rotten and are pissed if they don't win the NC every year.
technoviking
AG
probably because they'd be guaranteed to go to the national championship at least once, probably twice in their career.
Maroon Flash
AG
quote:
probably because they'd be guaranteed to go to the national championship

The Coach that got Fletcher Cox ready for the NFL coaches DT's for the Aggies. A Texas A&M degree opens doors after football.

Yes, I want our guys to get rings, but a CFB ring and a dollar will get you coffee at McDonalds.

Bone6
quote:
Why any recruit would want to go to Bama and wait 3 years to play at most 2 is beyond me.

There's a version of this with ~20% of our own class every recruiting cycle for kids who are unlikely to crack our rotation for at least 3 years yet still choose us over smaller school where they'd be likely to be seeing the field by year 2 at the latest.

Some kids prioritize playing at the highest level even it means waiting their turn, and we need to prove that we can play at the level of Alabama and LSU year in and year out to get these types of kids.
Lungblood
quote:
Contact Maurice Smith and find out what he thinks of Saban!

Smith graduates on Saturday and wants to play elsewhere next year. Saban is being a real asshat about it:

quote:
"On Friday, June 17, I arrived at the athletic facility locker room to find my locker cleaned out and all of my personal belongings in the trash (photo attached) underneath trash," Maurice Smith wrote. "These personal items included my family photos, written goals, inspirational and sentimental items memorializing my deceased former friend, roommate and teammate, Altee Tenpenny, and items of personal value from my former teammates."

Saban has slow played granting his release since June, even renewing Smith's grant in aid, although he banned Smith from all athletic facilities. Saban later revoked the grant in aid.

Smith's family is quite upset with Saban's tactics, especially considering Smith is graduating this week, and if he isn't released, he has to sit out this season with no scholarship.

Read the OP again. I'm certain saban has a good reason for treating this kid like garbage.
AgsMyDude
AG
quote:

Plus their fan base is spoiled rotten and are pissed if they don't win the NC every year.
Why not just play at D2 level if PT is all that matters?
Maroon Flash
AG
Other information from this whole episode does not show Saban's treatment of Maurice Smith to be what would be expected from a Coach that a player can trust.

Smith's family drove over from Texas to meet with Saban and he rudely walked out of the room saying "this meeting's over".
Lungblood
That's my point. Saban is a dooooooosh bag. He gets away with it bc he's a WINNER. It's not right, but thats the way it is.
Maroon Flash
AG
Granted Smith a release only because the bad publicity had become too great. Saban wanted to make him sit out a year without a scholarship.

Hope some Texas HS recruits learn from this.
beerad12man
AG
quote:

I'd love to be able to keep young guys off the field for 2-3 years before they get playing time.

That's how it's supposed to be. Fr. and so aren't supposed to play that much.

Winning allows you to do this. I'd rather play for a winner and have to wait my turn then start earlier on a bad team.
Maroon Flash
AG
quote:
I'd rather play for a winner

I would prioritize getting my degree from an institution that is a winner in the State of Texas irl.
Josepi
AG
quote:
quote:
I'd rather play for a winner

I would prioritize getting my degree from an institution that is a winner in the State of Texas irl.

Rice?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.