Defensive Line Recruiting

8,845 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TMartin
Bone6
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As our defense seems to be very much built on the back of a solid defensive line right now, who do we have a shot at on the defensive line for 2017?

I see some 4+ stars from the state of Texas who haven't committed yet at the position. Do we have any shot at Marvin Wilson (who looking at rankings is the obvious big prize out of our state this year)?

technoviking
AG
DL recruiting has been down. LSU and Oklahoma have been stealing the show in Texas. Chaisson was high on us until Oklahoma swooped in and now we don't even appear to be on his radar.

I'm not sure if horry projects as a DE or a TE, I wanna say I heard he's going to be a TE for a&m.

Hopefully things develop positively for us in the 2017 class later.
MSL Ag
AG
I think our D line recruiting will depend largely on how we play this year. If we implode like last year then we'll miss out on many of the high profile guys. Win 9-10 games and all of a sudden we become a great destination for guys who want to come in and have early playing time.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
beerad12man
AG
Probably the biggest concern with this class at this point. We only took 3 in 2015 and weren't able to redshirt any. We only took at most 4 last year, but that's if all of Robinson, Moton, and Malifeo make it to campus.If they all do, then we dodged a bullet. If they don't, the we lack numbers moving forward. We especially need Robinson, as we lack pure pass rushers after Hall and Garrett leave. Johnson, Cunningham, Lockhart, and Madubiuke are all good/great DEs, but none have the juice off the edge of a Garrett(few do) or even Hall or Robinson. I wish we have another Daeshan Hall or two in the pipeline. Or even would have landed Mark Jackson last year. That would change the outlook a bit.

This years class, there are really only 3-4 highly rated DL in the state. One of those, Chaisson, is insistent on playing OLB so he has eliminated us, and another, Carson, is a huge grade risk that is unlikely to make it in. That pretty much leaves Marvin Wilson and Taquan Graham as the only 4/5 star DL in the state now.

So the next tier is DT Jayden Peevy, SDE Ondario Robinson, DT Josh Rogers, DT Ben Hutch(Louisville), DT Corey Bethley, DT Deiontae Watts. Along with some JUCOs like Isaiah Buggs(LSU) and out of state guys like Tyree Johnson.

Right now, if I had to guess, I'd say we land Tyree Johnson, Ondario Robinson, Jayden Peevy and Josh Rogers. That's 4 solid, but not great, prospects. I like them all individually, but collectively they lack the juice of our 2013, 2014, and 2015 DL hauls. Hopefully in addition to this we can either land a JUCO pass rusher or pull a huge surprise and land one of Marvin Wilson or Taquan Graham, though that's doubtful at this point.

Addison Gumbs would also be a huge pick up, but I won't pencil in any out of state guys at this point until they at least visit here.
beerad12man
AG
Outside of Marvin Wilson and Taquan Graham, the state is down on elite playmakers on the DL. So hopefully having a great year helps with one of them, but for the most part, our DL class is likely going to be mostly complete before the end of the season. At least a couple will commit before the year and maybe 1-2 more early in the year. None of Robinson, Tyree Johnson, Rogers, and Peevy are supposed to wait until late in the year.

So in other words, I'm not sure how much a 10 win season will help. The main guy it might help with is Marvin Wilson, who would obviously be huge.
Loverboy
I've got a feeling coach turner is gonna pull a couple juncos from Mississippi.

I like juco dl better than other positions.

I'm confident coach Turner will find a way. He's solid.
technoviking
AG
quote:
Probably the biggest concern with this class at this point. We only took 3 in 2015 and weren't able to redshirt any. We only took at most 4 last year, but that's if all of Robinson, Moton, and Malifeo make it to campus.If they all do, then we dodged a bullet. If they don't, the we lack numbers moving forward. We especially need Robinson, as we lack pure pass rushers after Hall and Garrett leave. Johnson, Cunningham, Lockhart, and Madubiuke are all good/great DEs, but none have the juice off the edge of a Garrett(few do) or even Hall or Robinson. I wish we have another Daeshan Hall or two in the pipeline. Or even would have landed Mark Jackson last year. That would change the outlook a bit.

This years class, there are really only 3-4 highly rated DL in the state. One of those, Chaisson, is insistent on playing OLB so he has eliminated us, and another, Carson, is a huge grade risk that is unlikely to make it in. That pretty much leaves Marvin Wilson and Taquan Graham as the only 4/5 star DL in the state now.

So the next tier is DT Jayden Peevy, SDE Ondario Robinson, DT Josh Rogers, DT Ben Hutch(Louisville), DT Corey Bethley, DT Deiontae Watts. Along with some JUCOs like Isaiah Buggs(LSU) and out of state guys like Tyree Johnson.

Right now, if I had to guess, I'd say we land Tyree Johnson, Ondario Robinson, Jayden Peevy and Josh Rogers. That's 4 solid, but not great, prospects. I like them all individually, but collectively they lack the juice of our 2013, 2014, and 2015 DL hauls. Hopefully in addition to this we can either land a JUCO pass rusher or pull a huge surprise and land one of Marvin Wilson or Taquan Graham, though that's doubtful at this point.

Addison Gumbs would also be a huge pick up, but I won't pencil in any out of state guys at this point until they at least visit here.
damn nice analysis!
beerad12man
AG
quote:

Yep. I'm interested to see how JUCO recruiting goes this year. I think that's the way to go with this DL class since it isn't a particularly great year in state. Get a JUCO DT and pass rushing end.
Maroon Flash
AG
Our D is gonna be impressive this year as long as we avoid key injuries.

Kyle Field is going to be freaking crazy loud when we are on D.

Yeah, I wish we had commits on the DL, but Coach Turner's connections with the Mississippi JUCO's is going to pay off big time for us.
Bone6
Thanks beerard!
Bone6

quote:
Coach Turner's connections with the Mississippi JUCO's is going to pay off big time for us.
What are coach Turner's connection with Mississippi JUCO kids? Are we talking about Jim Turner?
technoviking
AG
He's talking about David turner I believe, he was at Mississippi state last year
CrazyDayDuck
quote:
quote:

Yep. I'm interested to see how JUCO recruiting goes this year. I think that's the way to go with this DL class since it isn't a particularly great year in state. Get a JUCO DT and pass rushing end.

With the wide spread use of the spread in Texas HS, it's hard to find quality DTs in state. We're fortunate to have done as well as we have had in recent years.

We need to make inroads to Louisiana, Mississippi and Florida, as well as JUCO.

The DE situation is weird for this year. Usually we can find some good ones in state. But, yeah, we can't restrict ourselves to just Texas. Go JUCO or out of state if the quality isn't there.
farmersfightatm
FYI-

If Ondario Robinson gets an offer from LSU, he will go there. He's named us his leader, but that's only because LSU has not offered him.

I live near Hutto and have friends in the Hutto area (that have kids that were in school with him) and he's very vocal about his love for LSU...
DayAg!
S
quote:
I live near Hutto and have friends in the Hutto area (that have kids that were in school with him) and he's very vocal about his love for LSU...
I didnt know the LSU bagman even knew where Hutto was. I remember when Hutto was a class B school. Time marches on.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
It's not just DL but LB is a need also. We need 4 DL and LB each. So far in this class we have ONE D front 7 pledged.

We need to be hitting La. hard.
Juan Henry
Watch out for that Kid from Steele High School number 44 runs a 4.5 40 yards he plays Defensive End.
FrontPorchAg
Lockhart showing flashes today
TMartin
Qualen Cunningham should have been converted to a linebacker a long time ago.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.