Winning in the Conference of Champions

5,559 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Tamu_mgm
RAB87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Basketball champs, baseball champs. Better get on board for football!
TxAg76
AG
Given where we started from, I think football had the tallest ladder to climb.
But I like this staff now. Not sure about McKinney or Moorehead from a technical/technique standpoint, but the rest seems solid.
TMartin
Possibly football had the tallest ladder to climb but who got the newest and best stadium in the country, $5M salary, helicopter, and Manziel in their first three years. Glad all that happened but it's time to produce and I'm hoping Sumlin does just that. I would also like to hear Sumlin say yes I want to be at Texas A&M and I'm not looking around.
Maroon Flash
AG
Despite the twitter fiasco, Moorehead is doing a good job. RSJ is on his way to being a 1st round pick next spring. WR's blocking is more aggressive.

McKinney needs to get the lead out. Maybe he has with some of the recent commits.
TMartin
RSJ was going to be a high draft pick just on his metrics and he will probably play tight end at 250-60 lbs.
TXAggie2011
AG
RSJ (and other receivers) got shut down by the better teams on the schedule this past season just like they did before Moorehead.

Maybe its all on our quarterbacks, but I didn't see our wide receivers creating a lot of space and giving our QBs many not-difficult throws.

Time will tell. Its only been one season for Moorehead and it was difficult all around for the offense.
MidTnAg
AG
Football season will again mostly depend on our OL & LBers.

I don't see how our OL can even come close to be as good as last season's and that was definitely not very good.
CrazyDayDuck
quote:
I don't see how our OL can even come close to be as good as last season's and that was definitely not very good.

You can't possibly be serious.

We have Jim Turner back. He's the best O Line coach in college football. He would still be coaching the Dolphins OL were it not for that pansy Jonathan Martin.

Yes, we lost three starters but two were not that big of a loss. McKinney always lacked the physicality needed and Cheek lacked that mean streak you like. McCoy is very physical and Lanfear has a definite mean streak.

Koda at RT seems to be solid so far. He had a good spring at least. And we have Sutherland, Tank, Elbert and Prater coming off the bench so we have some depth too.

Our O Line play should be at least functional going into the conference games, and should be pretty solid by the end of the year.

Give Turner a couple of years and we'll have the best O Line in the SEC.
beerad12man
AG
RSJ wasn't shut down. He had 6 catches for 107 yards against Alabama. 3 for 75 yards against Ole Miss. 5 for 34 yards in one half against a solid Miss St defense.

The only good team that he basically disappeared against was LSU, but in that game, our whole offense was shut down. This goes well beyond WRs.

Our offense bogged down in big games because of our piss poor scheme/OL blocking scheme and our inability to run the ball far more than our WRs. It's tough to expect WRs to be running open and free all day against DBs like Ole Miss, Alabama, and LSU. You have to win up front before this takes place.

You can't really tell anything about Mooreheads coaching ability at this point. He had virtually no chance to shine last year based on our OC and OL coaches.
oldschool87
AG
Tennessee has a top 9 recruiting class in the Nation, good enough for 5th in the SEC...
beerad12man
AG
I think we really just need to focus nationally. Last year, we were 5th in the sec west but 17th nationally. Had we closed with Patrick Hudson, Brandon Jones, Brandon Bowen, and Tyrie Cleveland, that would have been a great class, ranked 10th in the country, but still 5th in the west. Still, our perception of the class would be completely different even though we were 5th in the west and we would have all been happy with it. We would have more than enough base talent to compete year in and year out if we are consistently recruiting in the 6-10 range even though we finish 4th or 5th in the sec every year. The difference between Tennessee's class and 2 or 3 of the classes ahead of them is negligible. The difference between our 17th ranked class and the 4 sec west schools ahead of us is noticeable.

We just need to make sure that gap is closer from this point forward and finish top 10 most years as opposed to the 12-20 range like last year. Obviously adding Moton, Mafileo, and maybe the JUCO LB prospect can help close that gap some, but we still have a noticeable difference between us and Auburn/Ole Miss classes even with them.
MarriedInAggie
quote:
I think we really just need to focus nationally. Last year, we were 5th in the sec west but 17th nationally. Had we closed with Patrick Hudson, Brandon Jones, Brandon Bowen, and Tyrie Cleveland, that would have been a great class, ranked 10th in the country, but still 5th in the west. Still, our perception of the class would be completely different even though we were 5th in the west and we would have all been happy with it. We would have more than enough base talent to compete year in and year out if we are consistently recruiting in the 6-10 range even though we finish 4th or 5th in the sec every year. The difference between Tennessee's class and 2 or 3 of the classes ahead of them is negligible. The difference between our 17th ranked class and the 4 sec west schools ahead of us is noticeable.

We just need to make sure that gap is closer from this point forward and finish top 10 most years as opposed to the 12-20 range like last year. Obviously adding Moton, Mafileo, and maybe the JUCO LB prospect can help close that gap some, but we still have a noticeable difference between us and Auburn/Ole Miss classes even with them.
And don't forget Knight, Willis and Ford don't show up in those metrics. 3 very solid adds to the class.
Maroon Flash
AG
quote:
RSJ (and other receivers) got shut down by the better teams on the schedule this past season just like they did before Moorehead.

No sir. Christian Kirk was named to the Paul Hornung Award weekly honor roll for 212 all purpose yards against Alabama. Yes, this includes a punt return, but Bama in no way shut our receivers down.

Our problem last season was poor OC play calling and inconsistent to poor QB performance.

The Texas A&M WR corp is expected to be elite in 2016 and Moorehead deserves credit for his work.

http://collegespun.com/pac-12/usc/espn-insider-phil-steele-names-college-footballs-top-wr-rb-units-heading-into-2016

MidTnAg
AG
Our main problem on offense last season was a very poor OL. This season will be determined again by our OL and it may be weaker than last year's was.

I don't see our OL being any better no matter who coaches them. We have only two starters back . The other three positions will have to be filled by individuals who, except for one, rarely (or never) played.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG

quote:
I would also like to hear Sumlin say yes I want to be at Texas A&M and I'm not looking around.

This is what coaches say 2 months before they leave.
Tamu_mgm
AG
quote:
RSJ wasn't shut down. He had 6 catches for 107 yards against Alabama. 3 for 75 yards against Ole Miss. 5 for 34 yards in one half against a solid Miss St defense.

The only good team that he basically disappeared against was LSU, but in that game, our whole offense was shut down. This goes well beyond WRs.

Our offense bogged down in big games because of our piss poor scheme/OL blocking scheme and our inability to run the ball far more than our WRs. It's tough to expect WRs to be running open and free all day against DBs like Ole Miss, Alabama, and LSU. You have to win up front before this takes place.

You can't really tell anything about Mooreheads coaching ability at this point. He had virtually no chance to shine last year based on our OC and OL coaches.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.