Dylan Moses. LSU commit

11,029 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by Kampfers
Houston_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Will be in 8th Grade this fall.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8199497/soon-8th-grader-dylan-moses-offered-lsu-tigers-scholarship

quote:
His workout numbers certainly don't reflect that youth. In addition to the blistering 40 time, the 6-foot, 205-pound middle schooler posted a broad jump of 9 feet, 3 inches and a 34-inch vertical leap. Impressive as they were, the latter two weren't so surprising to his father.

Pee Wee highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STk-IPKOJCo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRK0o0I6VkU

[This message has been edited by Houston_Ag (edited 7/25/2012 1:56p).]
sshm
AG
He's not even in 8th grade and he's already 14......

When I was in high school I would have dominated 7th graders too. This is a ridiculously dumb move.
AggieTravis12
AG
Sorry but I don't think 14 is that old for 8th grade.

Start at age 6 in Kinder. Add 8 to get to 8th grade. HOLY CRAP 8+6=14!!! Now I know you can start kids early or late or make things looks more skewed using birthdays, but probably shouldn't act like this kid is alot older than everyone he's with, he's just a big kid.
BaseballFan04
I was 14 up nuntil November of my sophomore year of HS. I was a starter in baseball on varsity at a 4A school and started on JV in football and basketball.. I would have crushed 8th graders at that time.. And I wasn't a superior athlete. Big difference between 12 year olds and 14 year olds.. For example Danny Almonte pitching in the little league world series when he was 14... Not that impressed with this kid.
13B
Travis, I am not commenting on his ability nor his numbers but 14 is slightly old for beginning 8th grade. None the less, 205 at age 14 is pretty darn big. He is obviously a big athletic kid but being a year older than most of his peers is more significant at 14 than at say 19.
Mr. Tyler Durden
You're supposed to be 14 in the 8th grade. I was held back for "sports purposes" and I was 15 in 8th grade.
AggieTravis12
AG
Might seem like a dumb move, but all they've really done is said "This kid is huge and fast for his age. We can get his loyalty by offering him now and if it doesn't pan out, we can pull his ship at the smallest screw-up."

Nothing is set in stone with an offer, but it gives you an edge in a kid's thought process. Good risk hedge there in my opinion for lsu.
AggieOutlaw01
AG
Agreed with the your supposed to be 14 in 8 the grade comment. I turned 14 in 8th grade, as did most of my classmates. He is not playing against that much of an age difference.
nomadic_ag
AG
His skinny ankles will never hold up.
Bullmoose
AG
I was 15 in 10th grade.
Gigemaggies123
14 is the right age. If your 14 as a soph. Then you'd graduate hs at 16 and go to college at 17
HECUBUS
AG
16 in 12th had all the credits I needed to graduate a year earlier.
Outside of goofing off, I did help Pat Foley make the 12th man statue my senior year along with several other statues on campus. My wife graduated 20 days younger. It happens.
VikingNik
AG
I was 15 for a month of 11th grade....
BaseballFan04
Basically the kid has been held back a year somewhere along the line, or started late.. I unfortunately started school a year earlier and it really screwed me growth wise going thru HS. Like I said before I started in baseball as a sophomore, but I always thought what if I was in my correct grade, or held back like some kids.. I remember watching the kids in the grades below me thinking how much better I was than most of them.. Oh well, would be curious to see how this kid pans out...

I mean there was that youtube sensation Cody Paul from when he was 12 makin kids look silly... He's gotta be close to college aged by now..
TXAggie2011
AG
Most kids turn 14 during their 8th grade year.

He's an old 8th grader, but its not a huge advantage.

That said, our starting running back my 7th grade season was 6 foot, 200...he just became another decent player come high school. The center for the basketball team was about 6 foot 4, he wasn't any taller than 6'5 or 6'6" last time I saw him.

This kid may be peaking, so its still a risky move. And if he's really as die hard LSU as he says, I don't understand why Les couldn't have waited another year or two to offer the kid a scholarship.

[This message has been edited by TXAggie2011 (edited 7/26/2012 1:16a).]
sshm
AG
quote:
14 is the right age. If your 14 as a soph. Then you'd graduate hs at 16 and go to college at 17
He's going into 8th grade, not 9th grade and he is ALREADY 14.

He will be 18 before he starts his senior year of high school, and depending on his birthday, might be 19 before he graduates.

The difference a year makes early in your teens is huge, and a lot of people who dominate pee wee do nothing later on because their advantage was that they developed early.

Hell, when I was 11 (6th grade) we played football against a kid who was about 6'4" 200+ lbs who was our age. He pretty much did whatever the hell he wanted during the game and physically dominated everyone on our roster.

Fast forward and 3 different kids on my pee wee team ended up playing D-1 Football (for OU, Tulsa, and OK ST).

That kid did NOTHING.
AggieTravis12
AG
Still even if he stays the size he is, he is 6 foot, 200lbs and runs ~4.4 40. The kid is already the size and speed of a college player, as long as he keeps it up and works on actual playing skills, they can find a spot for a guy with those measurables.
discobrob
AG
All it takes to start 8th grade at 14 is to have a birthday late in the school year and be held back 1 year. If you were 14 in 10th grade, you're the abnormal one. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
BoyNamedSue
In 2010 USC and Kiffin offered a 13yr old QB - set to enroll in the 2015 class. Risky move and as much about publicity and flare than anything, but it does put the program in the headlines and get your name out in front for everyone to see.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=4888515
aggieclay
Kid definitely looks like something special.
Aggie_2463
AG
I was 14 my entire freshmen year, turned 15 a month before sophmore year...
Gigemaggies123
I know for a fact here in college station at least

Most kids are 16 half way thru their sophomore years. I know cuz that's when everyone started driving. I coach middle school kids and the 8th graders are usually either 14 or turn 14 before the end of the year. Anything else and youre either early or late.
sshm
AG
quote:
I was 14 my entire freshmen year, turned 15 a month before sophmore year...
This.

quote:
All it takes to start 8th grade at 14 is to have a birthday late in the school year and be held back 1 year. If you were 14 in 10th grade, you're the abnormal one. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
See above.
BBDP
AG
Reminds me of the kid that played with J-Mike in 5th grade. He was 6'2" and could dunk. I think I heard he is 6'3" now.
JapanLSUfan
He's a RB who is already 6' 205 at 14 years old. He may end up growing out of his position and end up at linebacker. He's a similar specimen to Leonard Fournette. Fournette was a little bit bigger as a HS freshman and had already received offers from schools all across the country.
DriftwoodAg
AG
Is this the son of Amos Moses?
O.G.
Wait till he scores 600 on his SATs....
switzerland
In Louisiana that will make him the head of his class.
aggiealltheway
AG
my son is going into the 8th grade, and he will be 14 this August. He wasn't held back.

EDIT: ...but he's only a little more than half of the 205, though

[This message has been edited by aggiealltheway (edited 7/31/2012 4:02p).]
AgLaw02
AG
quote:
I was held back for "sports purposes"

Riiiiight.
aggiebones
AG
Does he have an offer?

I mean I could commit to LSU as a 43 year old man with a bad knee and general arthritis setting in...but that doesn't mean anyone will accept that commitment.
TexanJeff
AG
Okay, let's get something straight.

IF... IF... this kid lived in England and at 14 he showed this kind of talent for soccer as he does here for football he would be taken to Manchester and put in the Man United Professional Football team training program where he would go to school and train to be a professional soccer player.

Why is this so different? Culture... that's it.
Floorguy
quote:
Is this the son of Amos Moses?

he just knocks em in the head with a stump!
Kampfers
AG
quote:
IF... IF... this kid lived in England and at 14 he showed this kind of talent for soccer as he does here for football he would be taken to Manchester and put in the Man United Professional Football team training program where he would go to school and train to be a professional soccer player.

Completely different. In soccer, signing kids that young is about technical ability, vision, etc. In football, it's about physically being more athletic and dominating the other players. That athleticism gap diminishes as they age, whereas the technical gap in soccer usually doesn't. In both cases there's still a high probability that the kid busts, but in soccer, they aren't handicapped as much by things like scholarship limits.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.