1989: A Sweet Season

9,503 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Yell Practice
AB2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
Thread started on 5/3/05. Good lord...
I've got a an original VHS copy of Sweet Season AB. Want me to bring it to the tailgate tomorrow? Anybody got a VHS player?

I borrowed twk's and kept it for...let's call it way too long.
Jack Cheese
AG
That was my freshman year. I may be in the video - one of Byington's moon shots to beat t.u. sailed straight over my head, as I was sitting on the chain-link fence behind the left field wall.

It was a fantastic season - so fun to watch. My memory is a little hazy though... Didn't we end up facing Ben McDonald in the regional because a rain delay gave him an extra start he wouldn't have otherwise had?
58-7
AG
Great year...and yes, oh so painful.
Bullpen Chias
AG
I had that video and probably burned through the tape. It is my favorite Aggie video. Chills every time I heard "Big John"
67walkon
Baseball at A&M mattered before '89. Ask Wally Moon, Doug Rau, Davie Johnson, Dave Elmendorf, Mark Thurmond, I can go on. Beau Bell? CWS. But, the steady emergence of "The Magic" in our first 10 years in Olson, the D.D. Effect and the absolute resilience of the '89 team took baseball in Aggieland to level of joy we feel today.
BTHOTCU
Muy
AG
Check in here if you were sitting on scaffolding in the outfield, drinking beer from kegs out by the tracks during the tu series where Big John had HR's at the end of both double header games. One was a walk off, the other I believe we were the visiting team but it put us in front.
Michael Carroll
AG
Greatest team that didn't win it all. The spring of '89 was without a doubt the best semester of my time spent in Aggieland. Going to Olsen no matter who we played was a religious experience that season. I'm hopeful that someday I'll get over the extra inning loss to LSU but I doubt that it ever happens. For the most part the guys that played on that team were great guys and great people. Anyone that talks poorly about that team doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.
Austin Ag
AG
FYI. LSU won it all that year and finished #1 of course. Some of the polls had A&M #2 despite not being one of the 8 making the CWS.
jkag89
quote:
FYI. LSU won it all that year and finished #1 of course. Some of the polls had A&M #2 despite not being one of the 8 making the CWS.
Um no they didn't. Wichita St. defeated the sips in the Championship Game. A&M was ranked #2 in one of the final polls.
billtheag89
AG
This post is not complete without mention of George and his classic, original rags from on high in 203. Dude had some lungs.
Haricougar
AG
quote:
quote:
Um no they didn't. Wichita St. defeated the sips in the Championship Game. A&M was ranked #2 in one of the final polls.
My level of hate for tu went to the highest level ever when the sip coach made the comment "where are the Aggies now?" After they won their regional.
valvemonkey91
AG
quote:
that 89 season, and all the people associated with it, is the reason there is an atmosphere at Olsen field

Amen. Proud to have been a part of it!
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
Went to every game that season. I had season tickets one row behind Dr. Mobley.

It was a wonderful ride and yes LSU did rip my heart out.

The 89 team had so much fight in them, especially in the last game.

Even now (without looking it up) I can name most of the batting order and the music they came out to.

Love Rick Hill but D D Grubbs is the gold standard.

Thompson
Taylor
Knoblauch
Byington
Albright
Easley
Williams/Pyle
Duke
Neuman
Haricougar
AG
Let's see.

AC/DC TNT for Taylor

Jimmy Dean Big Bad John for Byington

I think Scott Centala was Ace in the Hole.

Was the Hawaiian closer on that team. BJ? I know his song was the theme to Hawaii 50.

Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
quote:
Went to every game that season. I had season tickets one row behind Dr. Mobley.

It was a wonderful ride and yes LSU did rip my heart out.

The 89 team had so much fight in them, especially in the last game.

Even now (without looking it up) I can name most of the batting order and the music they came out to.

Love Rick Hill but D D Grubbs is the gold standard.

Thompson
Taylor
Knoblauch
Byington
Albright
Easley
Williams/Pyle
Duke
Neuman

Thompson - Star Trek theme
Taylor - TNT
Knoblauch - "Chucky's in Love"
Byington - "Big John"
Albright - ????
Easley - Lionel Richie "Easy like a Sunday morning"
Williams/Pyle - ???
Duke - "Duke of Earl"
Neuman - "Don't Mess Around w Jim"
Serious Lee
quote:
What songs were on that video and "From Olsen to Omaha" (1993)? I am trying to build a get hyped playlist for tomorrow.
off the top of my head:

"All the right moves" - Jennifer Warnes
"the Hunter" - GTR
"shooting for the moon" - Amy Holland
"I wont back down" - Tom Petty
"dont wait for heroes" - Dennis DeYoung
"this is the time" - Dennis DeYoung
"the final countdown" - Europe
third deck
AG
'89 was one of the most amazing A&M teams in history. That team was something special to watch.

I was heartbroken crying like a baby at the end of that LSU series, and it still gives me a sick feeling in my stomach when I think about it even today. But, I will say this, that one season taught my young self an important baseball 101 truth: Exceptional pitching will win every time. The good pitchers can quiet the best of the electric bats.

And, that one year and that one season whispers a lesson to every maroon bleeding Aggie fan today. And, that is we should get 100% behind Rob Childress and his eye for developing/recruiting pitching. It's all about the pitching. And, as long as he keeps bringing in top notch pitching talent we will be knocking on the door of Omaha. Yes, the ball has bounced in some strange ways down the stretch the last 2 season and, yes, it takes a bit of luck to get there, but keep bringing in the pitching talent and there will be some new banners hanging on the Olsen fence in the years to come.
Cyp011
AG
Only school on earth that celebrates a season that ended in complete failure.
jkag89
quote:
Only school on earth that celebrates a season that ended in complete failure.
What utter tripe. Fans of both pro and college teams often have a special place in their memories for seasons which did not end in ultimate victory.
Yell Practice
"but keep bringing in the pitching talent and there will be some new banners hanging on the Olsen fence in the years to come"

Yes , Absolutely ---
Yell Practice
TAMU1990
AG
I thought Albright's walkup was I'm all right
TAMU1990
AG
Did you see that ESPN production on Miss ST with Will Clark and Raffy Palmerio? Very good show with similar themes as the 1989 team.
Yell Practice
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.