1989: A Sweet Season

9,473 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Yell Practice
AB2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks to twk, I finally had the chance to watch this video tonight.

Talk about 25 minutes of pure elation...followed by a hard, square kick in the nuts.

I would have loved to have been here for that season though...
AB2
AG
OOPS - Can someone move this to baseball???
Hedley_Lamarr
pretty much describes the football video as well
Aggie Overnight Celebrity
i'm not sure why that would be a sweet season... we definitely crashed hard. I would have been heart broken, pissed, depressed after two quick games.
RPTS_AG_07
I was 4, so I'll take your word on it.

[This message has been edited by joerainsaggies07 (edited 5/4/2005 8:32a).]
twk
AG
Glad you enjoyed it. And for all you "if we didn't win the CWS, it was a crappy year" folks, understand that before 1989, Aggie baseball didn't matter in College Station, or anywhere else. 1989 changed our expectations for the program.
army01
AG
the 89 team was a lot of fun to watch.
real men steeplechase
while the ending was painful, watching that 89 team hit was a thing of beauty.
Agsncws
AG
It was a great year to watch. My 2nd season on campus. The first one (88 obviously) set up well for the next season. A very solid year in its own right. 89 was amazing to watch - from the very first game (a comeback win vs. UTPA, I think) to the last. For the regional, school was out and me and a buddy stayed in town with nothing to do but watch baseball games. We saw virtually every inning of every game. We ROLLED through until the last day crushing everyone. USA / LSU was an awesome game. And then the double-header. Ive never been and may never be so sick in my life. UH a few years ago was nothing in comparison. We drove back home that night and never said a single word for the entire 3 hour ride home. Before we left, we saw Jim Neumann at a local restaurant that night. The look on his face said it all.

edit: i always do that. it was jim neumann, who mostly played LF, if memory serves correct (which it obviously doesnt always)

[This message has been edited by Agsncws (edited 5/4/2005 10:21a).]
army01
AG
who is Jim Williams?
85AustinAg
AG
What video are you guys talking about and where can I get my hands on it?
TorcanoAG2004
AG
that 89 season, and all the people associated with it, is the reason there is an atmosphere at Olsen field
jkag89
quote:
i'm not sure why that would be a sweet season... we definitely crashed hard. I would have been heart broken, pissed, depressed after two quick games.

Fans like you will never be happy. You'll almost always be heart broken, pissed and depressed because only if you win the whole shooting match is the season worth a damn. Yes that Sunday was "hard, square kick in the nuts" as AB2 so eloquently put it but it still doesn't diminish my overall enjoyment of that season. Anyway in my mind that season isn't over because KT was safe at first. Stupid umpire, so what if I was in the upper righthand corner of student section, I had a better view of the play.
TorcanoAG2004
AG
i thought he was safe too
AB2
AG
It's "A Sweet Season" because I worship the ground that Mark Johnson walks on, will never support another A&M team if he is not the coach, and would rather watch Atari baseball with MJ at the helm than go to Olsen with anyone else.

Now that THAT is out of my system...

I called it "A Sweet Season" because that is the name of the video.
ag711
i guess my mail is running late today. i have yet to receive my video.
BlaineD
AG
Awesome video that was one of the big reasons I became an Aggie. As an 11 year old baseball player at the time, I wore that video out learning everything about the team that I could.
army01
AG
quote:
It's "A Sweet Season" because I worship the ground that Mark Johnson walks on, will never support another A&M team if he is not the coach, and would rather watch Atari baseball with MJ at the helm than go to Olsen with anyone else.

Damn...get out of my head! Comes with growing up in the 80s with Aggie baseball though.
walton91
quote:
i'm not sure why that would be a sweet season...

Try a season with 11 weeks ranked #1, a team where the entire batting order hit no LESS than .307, and correct me if I'm wrong those who are wiser, but I believe every starting postion player was drafted after that year. Until some Aggie team wins the CWS 1989 is and will continue to be the gold standard for Aggie baseball.
real men steeplechase
I'd guess that even after the ags win a CWS or two, 89 will still always be the gold standard. People are going to fondly remember a team that went what 28-0, and mashed the ball like no other even over a team like 93 that won a game in Omaha but got it done with pitching.
army01
AG
a 58-7 record is pretty solid. Don't see why you wouldn't call it a "Sweet Season".

Don't forget, the team finished #2 in the polls, even though they failed to reach Omaha. tehn again, the team that lost only one game (the title game) in the CWS was beaten by the Ags 4 out of 5 on the season
twk
AG
One correction: The '89 team finished #2 in one poll--Baseball America.
awiley
AG
With a team that good, how in the world did we lose twice on Sunday? Did we just choke?

Sorry, prior to '99 my knowledge of Aggie baseball is nill.
twk
AG
The '89 team wasn't the best team in our history. It was the best offensive club, but the pitching was thin. We sort of got shafted when we drew LSU as a 2 seed at our regional (in today's format, LSU would have been a non-national 1 seed). LSU absolutely should have been a one seed somewhere (arguably, over in Austin). Anyway, LSU ended up throwing five guys against us in that DH that ended up pitching in the big leagues. That's how we lost.
denied
denied
What songs were on that video and "From Olsen to Omaha" (1993)? I am trying to build a get hyped playlist for tomorrow.
Muy
AG
My senior year, that baseball season is THE standout season in my memories of college. Was at the LSU double header too, so painful.
Muy
AG
quote:
that 89 season, and all the people associated with it, is the reason there is an atmosphere at Olsen field

That definitely was the season I remember the student section starting to rag on opponents.
AB2
AG
Thread started on 5/3/05. Good lord...
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
Thread started on 5/3/05. Good lord...
I've got a an original VHS copy of Sweet Season AB. Want me to bring it to the tailgate tomorrow? Anybody got a VHS player?
Tango Mike
quote:

Stone44
AG
I remember that Skip Bertmann, the lsu coach, said that A&M was the best team he had ever seen in all his years of coaching, and that if they played us 10 times they would be lucky to win twice.
TowerAg90
AG
P.1
Muy
AG
I remember some LSU fans sitting below us, hating us ragging on everyone, then one LSU fan stands up, turns around and gives us the middle finger.

Somehow, our drinks accidentally slipped and fell on them.
Haricougar
AG
Went to every game that season. I had season tickets one row behind Dr. Mobley.

It was a wonderful ride and yes LSU did rip my heart out.

The 89 team had so much fight in them, especially in the last game.

Even now (without looking it up) I can name most of the batting order and the music they came out to.

Love Rick Hill but D D Grubbs is the gold standard.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.