Pitching…

5,000 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by ChemEng94
Lake08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Would really like to see our staff tighten up a bit. We have definitely been struggling. Thank god our offense is on another level.
Agsncws
AG
Dont expect it this weekend.
[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qh0MyYgSAQsDxvvIIU3ehE1nf8WWLQEa/view?usp=sharing[/url]
Randy Rhodes
I think we will see Sdao start for Lamkin this weekend
Aggies2009
AG
I believe UGA leads the nation in HRs. So don't panic if they hit several- they can swing the bats.
greg.w.h
AG
Georgia is 9-9…maybe panicking over pitching is just a little early…
dabo man
AG
Georgia is 9-9 because their pitching stinks. Their offense is outstanding.
jkag89
Lake08 said:

Would really like to see our staff tighten up a bit. We have definitely been struggling. Thank god our offense is on another level.
Remember the Vanderbilt series? I remember the Vanderbilt series, it was only a couple of weekends ago.

I'm not saying I'm not at all concerned with the Georgia bats especially with the wind blowing out but I do find the multiple posts expressing angst over our pitching "situation" a bit overblown.

greg.w.h
AG
dabo man said:

Georgia is 9-9 because their pitching stinks. Their offense is outstanding.
While true, we expose poor pitching with our offense. And our pitching and defense has only cost us five games total. And the defense has been mainly just dumb errors.
The Marksman
AG
Lake08 said:

We have one of the best pitching staffs in the country, we have not "been struggling." 5th best ERA in the nation, 4th best WHIP, 3rd best K/BB ratio.
Wabs
AG
You picked the wrong weekend to want to see our pitching improved
Strike One
Our pitching staff has been more refined this year and have given up much fewer walks and hit batters. This in itself is a major accomplishment and explains why our team ERA and other stats are so good. However, except for some of Prager's better outings and a few key stretches from Cortez (not to mention all the Ace relief efforts of Ashenbeck) our pitching has been much less than dominant. Tonight and this weekend, we better hope our staff has much better control of pitch location and that the home ump is being generous with calling strikes. If not, we will probably be in a real battle each of these 3 games and the team we are playing can score runs by the dozens.
RED AG 98
AG
Wabs said:

30+ MPH wind blowing out. Top 5 offense in town, one that's hit 30 more homers than we have and has the presumed Golden Spikes winner hitting .500 but has more homers than Braden -- yeah, this is not the weekend to worry about the absolute pitching numbers.

Just win. Twice. And then preferably thrice.
Randy Rhodes
RED AG 98 said:

Wabs said:

30+ MPH wind blowing out. Top 5 offense in town, one that's hit 30 more homers than we have and has the presumed Golden Spikes winner hitting .500 but has more homers than Braden -- yeah, this is not the weekend to worry about the absolute pitching numbers.

Just win. Twice. And then preferably thrice.

They have 13 more home runs

Plus from what I'm seeing, during the game the wind is 13-17 mph
RED AG 98
AG
Good call. I mis-remembered the absolute delta. Point is they are an elite offense, on par with us across the board. I would not expect any pitcher's duels, but obviously have been wrong before and will be again.
threeanout
AG
You wonder if Schloss gives the guys a longer leash with this 25+ mph south wind. If Prager gave up 5 runs tonight in 5 innings.....I would take that right now.
Sharpshooter
AG
LaViolence pop ups should go yard.
W
AG
did the pitching staff read texags this morning?

OP's wish granted in game 1
tjack16
AG
Agsncws said:

Dont expect it this weekend.

Randy Rhodes
First game an ERA of 2
ChemEng94
AG
Prager and Lamkin pitched great this weekend and we got some really good stuff from Sdao. Asch was Asch. Nails as usual.

Frustrating to blow the 3rd game when it was there for the taking again.
dcg4403
AG
These OPs are frustrating as clearly they do not invest enough time to actually know baseball and how statistics work.

The team is a VERY good pitching staff. Are they elite? Not outside of Prager and Aschenbeck, no. Are they very talented and one of the better staffs in the entire nation? YES.

Chill out, trying looking at D1 baseball stats before you freak out.

With these bats this team only needs to be good on the mound to make a full run in the CWS.
AgLA06
AG
The game has shifted since 2020. Outside of Arky there aren't elite pitching staffs anymore. We're seeing an offensive resurgence back to gorilla ball. And that's not surprising because to everyone other than the small number of baseball purists, big offense is more fun and more likely to draw eye balls.

To people that have traditionally watched the game our pitching isn't what they would expect for an Omaha team in a vacuum. A team ERA over 3.5 wouldn't have been good. Our current team ERA is almost an entire run higher than the 2015 or 2016 teams. Now compared to the competition it's quite good.

But saying people don't watch baseball because they don't see our pitching as elite goes against historical reality. It's much better than the last couple of years, but nothing like the teams from the last decade. Of course, neither is the game.

Team ERA

3015 3.04
2016 3.05
2017 3.48
2018 3.38
2019 3.20
2020 2.94
2021 4.55
2022 4.67
2023 5.67
2024 3.84
aginlakeway
AG
ChemEng94 said:

Prager and Lamkin pitched great this weekend and we got some really good stuff from Sdao. Asch was Asch. Nails as usual.

Frustrating to blow the 3rd game when it was there for the taking again.

We've also had games that we won that were there for the losing, including some midweek games.

We have 6 losses by a combined 11 runs. That's insanely good.
MMantle
AG
In SEC play

team ERA 5.13

Lamkin ERA 6.75

Jones ERA 8.57

I think there's enough reason to be a bit concerned about pitching, as we approach the post-season.

RR
The Marksman
AG
MMantle said:

In SEC play

team ERA 5.13

Lamkin ERA 6.75

Jones ERA 8.57

I think there's enough reason to be a bit concerned about pitching, as we approach the post-season.

RR
If you want to be concerned about one of the top 5 pitching staffs in the nation, by all means by my guest
AgLA06
AG
The Marksman said:

MMantle said:

In SEC play

team ERA 5.13

Lamkin ERA 6.75

Jones ERA 8.57

RR
If you want to be concerned about one of the top 5 pitching staffs in the nation, by all means by my guest

Look. You may not like it, but he's not wrong. Especially when the SEC championship is most likely coming down to the final weekend against a much better pitching staff. And we're only the third best pitching staff in the conference at this point. We've slipped below Tennessee as of this weekend.

Just one of your starters getting run early can knock a good team out of the post-season early. And we've had a run of that lately.

twk
AG
MMantle said:

In SEC play

team ERA 5.13

Lamkin ERA 6.75

Jones ERA 8.57

RR
Lamkin and Jones have laid some eggs, but they've also pitched some gems. Consistency is the issue, not talent. The teams that win at Omaha are the ones that get guys playing their best in June. If we see the best versions of Lamkin and Jones when it counts, this team might be unbeatable, but there's no button Schloss can push to ensure that happens.
The Marksman
AG
AgLA06 said:

The Marksman said:

MMantle said:

In SEC play

team ERA 5.13

Lamkin ERA 6.75

Jones ERA 8.57

RR

Look. You may not like it, but he's not wrong. Especially when the SEC championship is most likely coming down to the final weekend against a much better pitching staff. And we're only the third best pitching staff in the conference at this point. We've slipped below Tennessee as of this weekend.

Just one of your starters getting run early can knock a good team out of the post-season early. And we've had a run of that lately.

I just don't understand acting like we are the only team in the country with pitching struggles from time to time when we are statistically one of the top 5 staffs in the country. Many posters on here act like we have the worst pitchers in the SEC when that's simply not the case. You can be displeased with our pitching all you want, but the reality is that they are one of the top 5 pitching staffs in the country. If that's not good enough for you, suit yourself.
Gyles Marrett
The Marksman said:

AgLA06 said:

The Marksman said:

MMantle said:

In SEC play

team ERA 5.13

Lamkin ERA 6.75

Jones ERA 8.57

RR

I just don't understand acting like we are the only team in the country with pitching struggles from time to time when we are statistically one of the top 5 staffs in the country. Many posters on here act like we have the worst pitchers in the SEC when that's simply not the case. You can be displeased with our pitching all you want, but the reality is that they are one of the top 5 pitching staffs in the country. If that's not good enough for you, suit yourself.
This is correct. Outside of the first inning in game 2 our pitching was rock solid. A couple of great swings off Cortez in game 3 sometimes happen. It's not like we were facing a terrible lineup. In game 2 if you take out the first inning we won the rest of the game 11-0. Lampkin looked great. It's just nitpicking to be down on our pitching.
MMantle
AG
1) Our season pitching stats are a bit misleading, as they consist of multiple shutouts against the likes of Rhode Island, Wagner and McNeese.

2) Agreed, talent is not the issue, consistency is.

The following is the number of innings pitched per start by Lamkin and Jones in SEC play, Lamkin is the first number, Jones the second.

Florida, 4.2, 2.1
Miss State, 7.1, 4.0
Auburn, 3.1, 5.0
South Carolina, 3.1, 2.2
Vanderbilt, 1.2, 7.1
Alabama, 1.2, 4.1
Georgia, 5.2, 1.1

Some good, some not so good.

RR
AgLA06
AG
The Marksman said:

AgLA06 said:

The Marksman said:

MMantle said:

In SEC play

team ERA 5.13

Lamkin ERA 6.75

Jones ERA 8.57

RR

The entire point of this website is to discuss our teams.

Our weakness right now is strikeouts on offense and starting pitching. We've slipped to third in our conference in pitching after last weekend. Behind the 2 teams most likely to be the most competitive compared to us and in Omaha.

We're a very good / elite team. But to act like one of our weaknesses that happens to align with why teams go home early from the post season isn't a concern is an interesting take.
threeanout
AG
Tanner Jones has to quit tipping his pitches. A lot easier when you know what is coming.
CCAD AG
Slice it and dice it anyway you want to make the point you want to make.

Yes, the Ags have slipped to the 3rd best ERA in the league.

During that drastic fall, specifically during the past 3 weeks, the Ags have faced in order the 7th best, 5th best, and 3rd best scoring teams in the conference. Overall, the Ags have faced 4 teams in the top half of the league (3, 5, 6, 7) in scoring while TN has faced 3 (3, 4, 5) and Arky has faced 2 (5, 6). Facing teams that score a lot of runs tends to increase your ERA.

Oh, by the way, the Ags are 2nd in the conference in runs scored (416) trailing only TN (443). Arky is 12th (296).

Scoring more runs than your opponent tends to lead to more victories.
The Marksman
AG
CCAD AG said:

Slice it and dice it anyway you want to make the point you want to make.

Yes, the Ags have slipped to the 3rd best ERA in the league.

During that drastic fall, specifically during the past 3 weeks, the Ags have faced in order the 7th best, 5th best, and 3rd best scoring teams in the conference. Overall, the Ags have faced 4 teams in the top half of the league (3, 5, 6, 7) in scoring while TN has faced 3 (3, 4, 5) and Arky has faced 2 (5, 6). Facing teams that score a lot of runs tends to increase your ERA.

Oh, by the way, the Ags are 2nd in the conference in runs scored (416) trailing only TN (443). Arky is 12th (296).

Scoring more runs than your opponent tends to lead to more victories.
Don't bring reason, facts, and stats into this conversation. The Aggies have a horrible pitching staff, haven't you heard?
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
MMantle said:

1) Our season pitching stats are a bit misleading, as they consist of multiple shutouts against the likes of Rhode Island, Wagner and McNeese.
Those stats also take into account games where we are obviously trying to get freshmen/seldom-used arms some work to see who can help us out in the long run (see: Houston last week, PV, Sam, Texas Southern, etc.). And EVERYONE in the SEC/P5 gets to play those types of games. It evens out.

Anyone thinking pitching is going to hold us back is reading way too much into facing elite offense and not looking at the context of what others staffs are doing against those same offenses. In 2024 college baseball, this staff is great to borderline elite. Would the numbers look good in 2011-2012 when BBCOR was introduced? Of course not. But these guys are facing completely different hitters than pitchers 10-15 years ago.

This team ranks:
9th in ERA (3rd SEC, 4th P5)
15th in BAA (6th SEC, 10th P5)
7th in Strikeouts (3rd SEC, 7th P5)
10th in Walks (2nd SEC, 4th P5)
4th in WHIP (2nd SEC, 2nd P5)
3rd in K:BB Ratio (3rd in SEC, 3rd P5)

And of course, the most important stat...
1st nationally in Wins.

I'll take that production all day long, with the bonus that we've got three guys in our starting rotation that have shown an extremely high ceiling, but just need to be consistent at the right time.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.