Softball Update Anyone?

3,714 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by happy days
gigum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Serious replies please. Very interested in our pitching staff and their progress.
gigum
Cardiac Saturday
AG
Have nothing but am also interested
gigum
jt2hunt
AG
I see a couple of the players from time to time. I will ask.
Belton Ag
AG
Ags play USSSA Pride next Tuesday at the softball complex. It'll be a good measuring stick for the team. We're probably going to check out at least one game so if I get a chance I might give you an update.
SeenNotHeard
AG
Went out to the scrimmage for a few minutes yesterday. The team is excited to be back on the field. Pitching matchup was Sam Show vs Lexie Smith. Smith was bringing some good heat.

Heard it mentioned that Russell was hitting lights out early in fall practice which is great news.

Bring everyone you know to the field on Tuesday and represent for the double header against USSSA Pride
sharpdressedman
Keep the girls away from Kretschman.
LatinAggie1997
AG
Won gm 1 vs Pride 3-2 and tied 0-0 in gm 2.
Belton Ag
AG
Yesterday was a huge positive for the program. According to the Eagle, the Pride hadn't lost a game on this fall tour, including beating Oklahoma and tying LSU.

They had a tough time hitting Show, who's biggest mistake was giving up a 2 run shot to Lauren Chamberlain (who else?). Most Aggie softball fans both appreciate her greatness and hate it, she was a significant thorn in our side for years.

In the second game we had no offense at all but did a fantastic job of getting out of jambs, playing defense and not allowing hits with runners in scoring position. Lexi Smith impressed me after she settled down. She gave up 2 hits and a walk to load the bases to start the game but worked herself out of it nicely.

The coolest thing was seeing Chamberlain up to bat in the bottom of the first with bases loaded and 1 out. The umpire informed her that her left foot was out of the batters box before the pitch - which it was - and she argued about it with him for a bit. That seemed to get into her head a bit, and with 2 strikes Smith threw a fast rise ball which Chamberlain went for. She really swung hard and completely whiffed on it. Watching her go sit down angry was neat to see, and it gave Smith a ton of confidence.

The lack of offense shouldn't be too much of a concern, the Pride threw Hannah Rogers and Jolene Henderson who are 2 of the 10-15 best pitchers in the world. Henderson for example had a 2.07 ERA in the NPF last year. She's good.
Belton Ag
AG
Softball announced the 2017 schedule and it's very interesting.

http://www.12thman.com/news/2016/10/31/softball-aggie-softball-announces-2017-schedule.aspx

The 8 SEC series schedule is as follows:

Mississppi State

@Ole Miss

Missouri

@South Carolina

@Arkansas

Georgia

@ Kentucky

Tennessee

Missing are Alabama, Auburn, LSU and Florida. That's huge as those are probably going to be the top 4 teams in the SEC next year. We still have to play UGA and Tennessee but we get them at home. Our toughest road series is at Kentucky. This is a much easier schedule than we've ever had, last year's being the worst I've seen. I wonder if there was some lobbying done by us after last year because the SEC really made it difficult.

Chef Demas 2020
AG
The freshmen seemed to be pretty fast and athletic.
W
AG
maybe I haven't noticed before...but did the softball team's non-conference travel budget get cut?

only 1 big tournament this year (in California) --- seems like they used to play in 2 or 3 away tourneys
Belton Ag
AG
W said:

maybe I haven't noticed before...but did the softball team's non-conference travel budget get cut?

only 1 big tournament this year (in California) --- seems like they used to play in 2 or 3 away tourneys
They've been limiting that since joining the SEC. I think the grind and length of the conference season coupled with the conference tournament has caused them to drop one of their tournaments.

If they are going to omit a tourney, as a fan who attends the games I'd rather it be one of the away tourneys.
SeenNotHeard
AG
They play in 4 tournaments a year. Have for at least the last ten years. For the past four or five years it had been two at home and two on the road. For several years before that it was three at home and one on the road. They are going back to that format this year. They will be hosting three tournaments and traveling to one.
gigum
AG
Thanks to everyone for the serious and informative postings. Looks like our softball team has some quality pitching options this year. Looking forward to seeing how they develop.
Wooahhhh
AG
Two Questions?
1) Has the new signed recruiting class been announced?
2) and when will the 2017 schedule be released?
Gators and Mizzou have announced schedules/recruits, just wondering
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

2) and when will the 2017 schedule be released?
See my post above.
happy days
W - Click on the Signing Day Brings New Faces Thread and scroll past the basketball and golf articles.

Coach Jo signed 7 this year including Gatorade Texas Player of the Year Maddie MacGrandle of Frisco.

4 of the newcomers are pitchers, including MacGrandle. The bios are impressive. Looks like an outstanding group of young players. .
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.