Baseball announcer question?

8,695 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JohnnieBB
MMantle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lately, it seems a number of baseball radio / tv announcers do this --------

If a player has driven in, say three runs in a game, why do announcers say that he has '3 RBI' (singular), instead of '3 RBIs' (plural) ?

RR
Aggie
AG
3 run's batted in's ??

TexasRebel
AG
"Run batted in" and "runs batted in" are both abbreviated RBI

RsBI just seems odd.
hillcountryag86
AG
"Rs B I" would make them sound drunk.
MMantle
AG
My question is really, why the change?

For years, it has always been RBIs.

RR
TexasRebel
AG
In a professional broadcast?
alamoaggie 64
Same thing as "brother-in-law" and "brothers-in-law." Though most people say brother-in-laws, it is improper.
twk
AG
It's generally the same people who think they are being clever by calling the foul pole a "fair pole."
spanky
AG
...or sacrifice hit
ColoradoMooseHerd
It should be stated as 3 RBIs

The acronym RBI stands for Run Batted In. It is a singular term. RBI does not mean runs batted in, it is run batted in. The Plural of RBI is RBIs.

The announcers that use the term or the people that use the term trying to sound more educated are actually doing the opposite and showing that they actually do not understand the actual RBI acronym.

Don't be that guy.

Say 3 RBIs
ColoradoMooseHerd
quote:
Same thing as "brother-in-law" and "brothers-in-law." Though most people say brother-in-laws, it is improper.
EDIT:

CORRECTION - I read this incorrectly. You are right. I totally missed what you were meaning. You are correct, at least in my mind.

TexasRebel
AG
So, did you ever hit a 3 RBIs double?

I know your history, but I can confidently correct you on this one.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:
Actually it is not the case at all. You are wrong about the reference to Brother-In-law.

If some on said my BIL or SIL, than yes it should be BILs or SILs but if you are saying the words out you are wrong.
If you want to write BILs or SILs, fine. "My BILs" needs the 's' because that is the only way to know you're speaking of multiple people without a number in front of 'BIL'.

But I would say you're wrong if you said or wrote "brother-in-laws."

And on that note, I say and write 'RBI', and I know plenty of baseball people that do. The only time I would write "RBIs" is if it isn't otherwise clear we are talking about multiple. And that's an exception for a special case, and only in writing. In most circumstances, the plurality is evident. "RBI" is what you see in the stats, its how you would say it, etc. and for those reasons I use "RBI."
ColoradoMooseHerd
quote:
quote:
quote:
Actually it is not the case at all. You are wrong about the reference to Brother-In-law.

If some on said my BIL or SIL, than yes it should be BILs or SILs but if you are saying the words out you are wrong.
If you want to write BILs or SILs, fine. "My BILs" needs the 's' because that is the only way to know you're speaking of multiple people without a number in front of 'BIL'.

But I would say you're wrong if you said or wrote "brother-in-laws."

I totally miss read the other response. I am wrong on the Brother-in-Laws and knew that. I thought he was meaning the opposite. Idiot response by me, please ignore.
ColoradoMooseHerd
quote:
And on that note, I say and write 'RBI', and I know plenty of baseball people that do. The only time I would write "RBIs" is if it isn't otherwise clear we are talking about multiple. And that's an exception for a special case, and only in writing. In most circumstances, the plurality is evident. "RBI" is what you see in the stats, its how you would say it, etc. and for those reasons I use "RBI."
The Definition of RBI is "Run Batted In". If it stood for Runs Batted In, then using RBI as a singular or plural would work, but the official stat definition is RBI for "Run Batted In". So the acronym is a singular term and you would add an S to it for a plural term.
TexasRebel
AG
All stats in baseball are plural.

1B
2B
3B
HR
H
BB
K
ensign_beedrill
AG
I prefer to use RBI for plural references because I think it makes more sense and it looks and sounds better. But the Stylebook says the plural is indeed RBIs.

TexasRebel
AG
Pluralize moose.
MMantle
AG
Up until a few years ago, it was always RBIs, plural.

What / who caused it to change, i.e., to using RBI for all situations?

RR
ColoradoMooseHerd
quote:
Up until a few years ago, it was always RBIs, plural.

What / who caused it to change, i.e., to using RBI for all situations?

RR
I blame guys like Mike & Mike on ESPN radio that did not fully understand that Stat and wanted to try and sound more intelligent by saying RBI as the plural.
TexasRebel
AG
Except RBI has always been its own plural.
ensign_beedrill
AG
quote:
Pluralize moose.
I agree.
TexasRebel
AG
I know. I was just arguing with the AP tweet in your post.
ColoradoMooseHerd
quote:
Except RBI has always been its own plural.
Except it hasn't.
TexasRebel
AG
A two RBI double has never been called a two RBIs double.
twk
AG
quote:
Because it's one double--the RBI number is an adjective that applies to the noun.
TexasRebel
AG
The adjectival noun is still plural: two RBI.
MMantle
AG
MooseHerd,

Agree completely, I think there's a few 'announcers' here in B/CS that fall into that same Mike and Mike category.

RR
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:
Because it's one double--the RBI number is an adjective that applies to the noun.
But the 's' doesn't have anything to do with what is around "RBI."

Its a "two runs batted in double" just the same as he "had two runs batted in."

The only exception would be if you said something like "but thanks to his RBI..." where it is ambiguous how many runs batted in he had.

On your boxscore or stat sheet, you do put RBI or RBIs? Surely RBI. Because its not ambiguous how many a player has.

Do you say "I was going 70 MPHs down the highway this morning." or "my resting heartrate is 60 BPMs"???
TXAggie2011
AG

quote:
I blame guys like Mike & Mike on ESPN radio that did not fully understand that Stat and wanted to try and sound more intelligent by saying RBI as the plural.

Instead of insulting a bunch of folks that actually know a lot about the game, can we just agree its a stylistic choice and let it go?
twk
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
But the 's' doesn't have anything to do with what is around "RBI."

Its a "two runs batted in double" just the same as he "had two runs batted in."

The only exception would be if you said something like "but thanks to his RBI..." where it is ambiguous how many runs batted in he had.

On your boxscore or stat sheet, you do put RBI or RBIs? Surely RBI. Because its not ambiguous how many a player has.

Do you say "I was going 70 MPHs down the highway this morning." or "my resting heartrate is 60 BPMs"???
I don't say "M. P. H." nor does anyone I know. I would say "70 miles per hour" or just "70." I would say that my car was doing "3000 RPMs," however.
twk
AG
quote:

quote:

Instead of insulting a bunch of folks that actually know a lot about the game, can we just agree its a stylistic choice and let it go?
Yes, it's a stylistic choice. But there is a right choice and a wrong choice. This wouldn't be Texags if we didn't beat this dead horse a little bit.
ensign_beedrill
AG
quote:

quote:

It's the off season. What else are we going to do?
TexasRebel
AG
Ew!
Why?
RPM is also inherently plural.
TexasRebel
AG
quote:
quote:

quote:

Yes, it's a stylistic choice. But there is a right choice and a wrong choice. This wouldn't be Texags if we didn't beat this dead horse a little bit.

Why would you choose the wrong one then?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.