Rob Childress contract extension

14,488 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by double b
ColoradoMooseHerd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
quote:
Today, and for most of the past 27 years, we have stayed in the place where LSU was in 1989...on the brink. Over the next 10 years, we can expect to become college baseball royalty, but we can't afford to act like we already are.

That's absolutely ridiculous.

If we haven't taken the next step for the last 3 decades, what makes you think the guy who has been here for the last decade is going to get us over the hump, in the next decade? And why should we have to wait yet another decade? Why were TCU and Tech able to become Omaha regulars almost overnight without even being close to where we've been?
You realize Schlossnagle has been at TCU 14 years right, he has been there longer than Childress has been here. You act like this was some overnight deal where they became good. You probably would have fired Schlossnagle after the 2011 season and I guarantee you would have wanted to fire him after 2013.
TheChameleon
AG
quote:
This is well deserved. Baffles me to see the comments here.

Hey Gil Renard, Buford T. Justice, Captain Pablo, W, jja79 -

You don't seem to care for this extension, so i'm curious who you'd be interested in having as a coach instead?

Are you serious? The choices are not only fire or extend him. There's a third option: not doing anything. Your comment would make sense if he was a soon to be lame duck (fire or extend in that case) but he's not about to be in that situation.
ColoradoMooseHerd
TheChameleon you are late to this fight or you just created a new handle and were already in it. But either way, these posters have made it very clear for the last few years that they do not want Childress.
Rocco S
quote:
quote:
quote:
Today, and for most of the past 27 years, we have stayed in the place where LSU was in 1989...on the brink. Over the next 10 years, we can expect to become college baseball royalty, but we can't afford to act like we already are.

That's absolutely ridiculous.

If we haven't taken the next step for the last 3 decades, what makes you think the guy who has been here for the last decade is going to get us over the hump, in the next decade? And why should we have to wait yet another decade? Why were TCU and Tech able to become Omaha regulars almost overnight without even being close to where we've been?
You realize Schlossnagle has been at TCU 14 years right, he has been there longer than Childress has been here. You act like this was some overnight deal where they became good. You probably would have fired Schlossnagle after the 2011 season and I guarantee you would have wanted to fire him after 2013.

In 2011 TCU was one year removed from a CWS appearance, so no, I wouldn't have. They've made 4 trips under JS. They were also an absolutely nothing program when he took over, having not been in the post season in a decade.
ColoradoMooseHerd
You wanted to get rid of RC after we went 0-2 at the CWS. The actual year we went to the CWS you wanted to get rid of RC.

Yes now he has been to 4 CWS (3 in a row) but you would have had a hissy fit if we every got knocked out the way they did or missed the postseason all together. You have even mentioned that above that if we had a weak postseason it would be time for a change.

So I guarantee without a doubt you would have been out crusading for a new coach if similar situation happened for RC.
Rocco S
You said RC deserves a lifetime contract at $5MM/year.

See I can make **** up too.

I'm not saying RC deserves to be fired. I'm saying this contract extension is bull*****
ColoradoMooseHerd
1. I am not making things up
2. You did call for RC to be fired after 2011 season and every season since
3. You don't like RC and it tarnishes every post you have on TexAgs. Even last season when we were on a roll every post you had was negative towards RC or a backhanded compliment
4. You basically force people to either agree with you that he should go or make them say he deserves a long term deal.

You have tried to twist facts and peoples words for years with the same tired arguments. We understand you do not like RC and don't want him as coach. Everyone here knows that. But that is not enough for you. You want to ruin every conversation on this board to make sure that your opinion on RC is interjected into every conversation even ones that do no compliment RC or not about RC.

It has gotten to the point that it definitely seems personal and I do not understand the connection and not going to make any assumptions. But for whatever reason it seems personal.

Whetther it is personal or not, you have taken it on as some type of vendetta to go after RC and not allow a positive message to be posted here about his coaching or his envolvement with the team. Even when it is obvious that RC is not going anywhere, you have taken upon yourself to criticize every move surrounding baseball and his record.

I think most here know who I am and know I played for the previous coach long time ago. I have zero loyalty to RC, but I don't have a problem acknowledging his faults or his achievements. Only problem is if anyone else criticizes a decision or mistake, you immediately drag it into why he shouldn't be coach. For the record, every coach makes mistakes and every fanbase deserves to vent frustrations. But not every mistake is fire-able and often venting frustration is just that, venting. Because most fanbases are also allowed to celebrate and acknowledge the achievements and good decions. But not here, not with you.

You are on your vendetta and want everyone to agree with you that we should fire a coach. You make sure to tell everyone that we are not allowed to be happy with the last two seasons we have had. Finally you changed one argument about RC should be gone today, with the argument he should be gone with the slightist slip up of a season. Basically your new argument is, if it does not go perfectly he should be fired. And you said so on this thread.

It is not that people on here think RC is the perfect coach, but rather many think he is a very good coach and do not want you to continually chastise us for being happy about Texas Aggie baseball.
Spyderman
AG
Texas Aggie baseball
Rocco S
I registered this handle in 2013, so yeah, you're making **** up.
ColoradoMooseHerd

I see that is true, should have looked that up to verify. Must have confused you with Pablo. But I stand by the other comments

Captain Pablo
AG
quote:

I see that is true, should have looked that up to verify. Must have confused you with Pablo. But I stand by the other comments

Not me

I did want him.gone after 2013 and 2014. Maybe after 2012... I don't remember

And after a sip loss or two, or three

Did not want him gone in 2015 or 2016, and think he's earned through 2018 unless he totally craters in 2017

I have been very supportive and complimentary of Rob's performance the last 2 years... he's done a good job

But I do not think a 5 year contract is warranted or deserved

3 is enough
Rocco S
I've said basically verbatim what CP has said.
jkag89

quote:
11 seasons. 0 wins in Omaha. How much more leeway does he need? How much do you need to see before understanding it is what it is?
As I stated in my very first post in this thread, I understand the lack of trips to Omaha argument but I'm not quite the bottom line line guy you seem to be. As far as why I believe RC is capable of getting us to the "promise land," he has shown that his teams are able to compete on an equal footing with the best of the SEC. Despite the poor showing in the postseason this past year, the best of this league tend to find their way to Omaha and do quite well when they make the trip.
quote:
I registered this handle in 2013, so yeah, you're making **** up.
No previous user names?
quote:
I've said basically verbatim what CP has said.

Um ok. The tone of your posts certainly do not come across as such. For some reason I don't see CP's "totally craters" 2017 being a season with a regional appearance even if as a #3 seed.
Rocco S
quote:
I'm not quite the bottom line line guy you seem to be.

That just about sums it up
jkag89
quote:
quote:
I'm not quite the bottom line line guy you seem to be.

That just about sums it up
Never said anything different. Any comment on the two sentences that follow what you quoted?
sharpdressedman
I wish this irrigation tournament would end. Like it or not, RC is doing well enough to avoid being replaced. Omaha may be beyond his performance horizon, or not; right now it doesn't matter.

Legitimate arguments on both sides of the employment issue fuel the debate, but the outcome will not change in the near-term. I encourage my fellow Ags to stay above the fray. There is more joy to be had by supporting the players and being pleasantly surprised should magic happen than pissing into a gale.
zagman
AG
Well deserved extension!
Full Speed Ahead - Fire At Will - Gig'em

"I have never enjoyed any position more than being president of Texas A&M University." Robert Gates 11/08/06
MMantle
AG
Ought to use the extra money to hire a pitching coach....hah!!!!

RR
91AggieLawyer
AG
quote:
How much do you need to see before understanding it is what it is?

This board, for whatever reason, is married to RC. Thou shalt not...
MMantle
AG
Not as many as you might think..........

RR
Sandman98
AG
quote:
quote:
How much do you need to see before understanding it is what it is?

This board, for whatever reason, is married to RC. Thou shalt not...

Not really. Only the people that understand the sport and the business. That's not a big number.
ScoutBanderaAg956
AG
twk said:

The constant whining about contract extensions is extremely annoying. It's one thing when you're talking about Sumlin getting a $5 million/year, fully guaranteed contract, and quite another when you're talking about lesser paid coaches (and probably not fully guaranteed, but we don't know that, yet). Having years left on the head coach's contract is a cost of doing business. If you think we're going to have coaches going into the final year of their contract, then you are delusional. Broke ass schools that don't care about a sport do that. Schools that give a rip understand that you have to put years on contracts in order to ensure smooth recruiting, then be willing to eat those years if you have to make a change.

False claims annoy some of us too. When you refurbish a stadium, upgrade facilities, invest heavily in success you expect success. Not making the CWS more than once in 11 years and not winning a game isn't success. Conference championships and tournament wins mean nothing when you are home watching and not playing in the CWS regularly. Also annoying hearing people complain about other annoying people.

Most schools that have the money and really care about championships hire top notch coaches that know how to win championships!
histag10
AG
ScoutBanderaAg956 said:

twk said:

The constant whining about contract extensions is extremely annoying. It's one thing when you're talking about Sumlin getting a $5 million/year, fully guaranteed contract, and quite another when you're talking about lesser paid coaches (and probably not fully guaranteed, but we don't know that, yet). Having years left on the head coach's contract is a cost of doing business. If you think we're going to have coaches going into the final year of their contract, then you are delusional. Broke ass schools that don't care about a sport do that. Schools that give a rip understand that you have to put years on contracts in order to ensure smooth recruiting, then be willing to eat those years if you have to make a change.

False claims annoy some of us too. When you refurbish a stadium, upgrade facilities, invest heavily in success you expect success. Not making the CWS more than once in 11 years and not winning a game isn't success. Conference championships and tournament wins mean nothing when you are home watching and not playing in the CWS regularly. Also annoying hearing people complain about other annoying people.

Most schools that have the money and really care about championships hire top notch coaches that know how to win championships!

its also annoying to hear that people are annoyed when hearing about people complain about other people being annoyed.

Also, based on your statement, A&M should pretty much fire every coach in every sport and just spend more money, because we obviously don't have top notch coaches to go with our top notch facilities since we aren't winning national championships in every sport every year.

I am also of the mind that firing a coach who consistently leads you into the post season doesn't instill confidence in any coach looking to jump ship and come over. But then again, maybe thats just me.
Captain Pablo
AG
histag10 said:

ScoutBanderaAg956 said:

twk said:

its also annoying to hear that people are annoyed when hearing about people complain about other people being annoyed.

Also, based on your statement, A&M should pretty much fire every coach in every sport and just spend more money, because we obviously don't have top notch coaches to go with our top notch facilities since we aren't winning national championships in every sport every year.

I am also of the mind that firing a coach who consistently leads you into the post season doesn't instill confidence in any coach looking to jump ship and come over. But then again, maybe thats just me.

It's just you

Great coaches don't settle for "making the post season", nor do they expect their bosses to settle for it

aeon-ag
ftworthag02 said:

Congrats rc! Let's go to Omaha. Is there a pic of him signing? http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article86287662.html
After witnessing the big QUIT by the A&M players in the last TCU game, I'd fire him. I've seen my last RC game!
Mr.Ackar07
aeon-ag said:

ftworthag02 said:

Congrats rc! Let's go to Omaha. Is there a pic of him signing? http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article86287662.html
After witnessing the big QUIT by the A&M players in the last TCU game, I'd fire him. I've seen my last RC game!
If you watched them quit, then you weren't watching the same game I was.
MMantle
AG
Agree completely, I'm not a big Childress fan, but I've never seen his players quit, never.

In fact, sometimes I think they play with too much intensity, need to relax, hard to play the game tight.

RR
technoviking
AG
aeon-ag said:

ftworthag02 said:

Holy **** bye Felicia! Don't post on the Aggie baseball forum ever again after that ****ty remark.
double b
AG
Anybody have the actual terms and what it may cost to buy him out?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.