Rob Childress contract extension

14,486 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by double b
PFlat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ben Baby @Ben_Baby 29m29 minutes ago

Texas A&M and baseball coach Rob Childress have agreed to a contract extension through the 2021 season, the school announced today.
Yell Practice
Congratulations RC -- Omaha Bound
ftworthag02
AG
Congrats rc! Let's go to Omaha. Is there a pic of him signing? http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article86287662.html
greg.w.h
AG
Time to land at Omaha Beach...whatever...it...takes.
markk
Good news! Congrats Coach!
Know the players are happy.
jja79
AG
Makes no sense. Was someone about to snatch Regional Rob away?
W
AG
the guy that did Sumlin's contract must still be around
greg.w.h
AG
Woodward's job is to keep athletics from affecting Young. Back-to-back SR trips are good enough to extend. Now it's just a matter of how long. A two-year extension works poorly in recruiting since you recruit for (hopefully) four years.
txagssweetie2014
quote:

I haven't seen the contract terms. Did we give him a guaranteed $30 million contract? Or even a $5 million guaranteed contract. Is he now one of the top 5 highest paid coaches in the country?
Rocco S
quote:
Woodward's job is to keep athletics from affecting Young. Back-to-back SR trips are good enough to extend. Now it's just a matter of how long. A two-year extension works poorly in recruiting since you recruit for (hopefully) four years.
A coaches contract has very minimal impact on recruiting. It's a myth that gets put on this board every few years when we give RC another extension following a season that didn't end in Omaha
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
Congratulations RC -- Omaha Bound

Since when?

This extension is unwarranted
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:

You think he deserves a LONGER contract??
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
quote:

I haven't seen the contract terms. Did we give him a guaranteed $30 million contract? Or even a $5 million guaranteed contract. Is he now one of the top 5 highest paid coaches in the country?

Weak.

It doesn't have to have the same numbers to be similarly bone headed
Buford T. Justice
AG
We've got ourselves Hyman 2.0.
I think that in time, this will be proven without question.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
We've got ourselves Hyman 2.0.
I think that in time, this will be proven without question.

Agreed
greg.w.h
AG
quote:
quote:

I was speculating on what Woodward used to justify extending. I agree he is Hyman 2.0.
txagssweetie2014
quote:
quote:
quote:

Weak.

It doesn't have to have the same numbers to be similarly bone headed

You're weak. You don't even know the terms f the contract. You just love t jump to Conclusions and whine like a little girl. It's pretty likely that the buyout is low enough that we can fire him when he fails. Relax and hope that Sumlin and Kennedy have as good years as Rob just had.
Rocco S
Sumlin has had a better season than Childress has ever had. Kennedy just matched all but one of his seasons.
Gil Renard
AG
Regional Rob and Dave South got it on easy street in Aggieland
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
Regional Rob and Dave South got it on easy street in Aggieland

So true
Captain Pablo
AG
Odd timing for the announcement

Friday before Labor Day weekend, day before opening football game against top 15 opponent at Kyle and a huge media weekend for college football

Very odd
jkag89
quote:

I'm going to preface my remark with the following:
1) None of us know the whys and wherefores behind the decision for what appears to be a rather modest extension. Personally I do not see a pressing need for it at this time.
2) OMAHA! One trip in eleven years is the primary reason behind the discontent with RC.

Now with that said, if Sumlin or Kennedy had coached back to back Top 10 seasons most here would think some sort of an extensions would be in order even if the postseason runs were disappointing.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
quote:

1) None of us know the whys and wherefores behind the decision for what appears to be a rather modest extension. Personally I do not see a pressing need for it at this time.
2) OMAHA! One trip in eleven years is the primary reason behind the discontent with RC.

Now with that said, if Sumlin or Kennedy had coached back to back Top 10 seasons most here would think some sort of an extensions would be in order even if the postseason runs were disappointing.

I would not favor a two year extension for Sumlin with similar terms of his current deal

And we have discussed, ad nauseum, the built in advantages against national competion baseball has that basketball doesn't... everyone agrees with that..so yes, I would favor an extension for Kennedy after 2 top 10 finishes

As for "we don't know why he got an extension", I assume the decision makers thought he deserved it... not sure "decision maker" = Woodward.... don't know.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
quote:

I also think the 1 trip in 11 years with zero wins is pretty important
jkag89
And I believe that a win or two in A&M's 2011 trip to the CWS would not matter a bit to RC's critics.
twk
AG
The constant whining about contract extensions is extremely annoying. It's one thing when you're talking about Sumlin getting a $5 million/year, fully guaranteed contract, and quite another when you're talking about lesser paid coaches (and probably not fully guaranteed, but we don't know that, yet). Having years left on the head coach's contract is a cost of doing business. If you think we're going to have coaches going into the final year of their contract, then you are delusional. Broke ass schools that don't care about a sport do that. Schools that give a rip understand that you have to put years on contracts in order to ensure smooth recruiting, then be willing to eat those years if you have to make a change.
TheChameleon
AG
quote:
The constant whining about contract extensions is extremely annoying. It's one thing when you're talking about Sumlin getting a $5 million/year, fully guaranteed contract, and quite another when you're talking about lesser paid coaches (and probably not fully guaranteed, but we don't know that, yet). Having years left on the head coach's contract is a cost of doing business. If you think we're going to have coaches going into the final year of their contract, then you are delusional. Broke ass schools that don't care about a sport do that. Schools that give a rip understand that you have to put years on contracts in order to ensure smooth recruiting, then be willing to eat those years if you have to make a change.

There's a difference between whining and simply saying that something isn't necessary. Childress wasn't going to be a lame duck going into this season. This could have waited.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:

It's not whinng... c'mon, man... insults are not necessary

I do not think a 5 year cushion is warranted, nor deserved

But yes, the devil will be in the details, which should be available after the next regents meeting
Rocco S
quote:
And I believe that a win or two in A&M's 2011 trip to the CWS would not matter a bit to RC's critics.
His supporters would sure be pointing at it. The only 1 Omaha trip stat is more concerning than the fact we haven't won a game there under him. If we had 3 trips there with 0 wins I think that would be a better stat than 1 trip with 3 wins.
Rocco S
quote:

And thats where the disconnect is. This is why some of us are discontent. We aren't buying out a coach that consistently has us in Regionals. That's not the way Texas A&M does things. We let coaches hang around longer than we should, when the writing is clearly on the wall, to avoid or lessen buyouts, under the guise that he just needs more time, just needs the new facilities, or whatever other excuse we can come up with. How much time a coach has left on his contract is so far down a list of priorities for a recruit it has a minimal impact. And if you think a longer contract alleviates those fears, you're wrong. Sumlin was getting negatively recruited big time in the last class with talk about him getting fired, and he has several years left on his contract along with a ridiculous buyout.
twk
AG
quote:
quote:

And thats where the disconnect is. This is why some of us are discontent. We aren't buying out a coach that consistently has us in Regionals. That's not the way Texas A&M does things. We let coaches hang around longer than we should, when the writing is clearly on the wall, to avoid or lessen buyouts. How much time a coach has left on his contract is so far down a list of priorities for a recruit it has a minimal impact.
So, you're unhappy that Childress has a job. I think we know that is what is behind most of the complaining about the extension. The folks that want him fired are never going to say an extension in warranted.

If you think that other schools don't engage in negative recruiting, and mention the fact that that a coach only has a year or two left on his contract, then I think you are being a little nave. To say that it's not the most important factor is beside the point--no one is saying that it is the most important factor. But, it's a negative recruiting point that is easy to eliminate by extending the contract, and we've done that.
jkag89
quote:
The only 1 Omaha trip stat is more concerning than the fact we haven't won a game there under him. If we had 3 trips there with 0 wins I think that would be a better stat than 1 trip with 3 wins.
This may come as a shock to you, but I do not disagree in the least and why I believe the zero Ws in Omaha is smokescreen arguement.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
quote:
The only 1 Omaha trip stat is more concerning than the fact we haven't won a game there under him. If we had 3 trips there with 0 wins I think that would be a better stat than 1 trip with 3 wins.
This may come as a shock to you, but I do not disagree in the least and why I believe the zero Ws in Omaha is smokescreen arguement.

It's not a smokescreen... it's all part of it

I don't disagree that trips would be better than 1 trip

But the 0 wins does suck, though
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

And thats where the disconnect is. This is why some of us are discontent. We aren't buying out a coach that consistently has us in Regionals. That's not the way Texas A&M does things. We let coaches hang around longer than we should, when the writing is clearly on the wall, to avoid or lessen buyouts. How much time a coach has left on his contract is so far down a list of priorities for a recruit it has a minimal impact.
So, you're unhappy that Childress has a job. I think we know that is what is behind most of the complaining about the extension. The folks that want him fired are never going to say an extension in warranted.

If you think that other schools don't engage in negative recruiting, and mention the fact that that a coach only has a year or two left on his contract, then I think you are being a little nave. To say that it's not the most important factor is beside the point--no one is saying that it is the most important factor. But, it's a negative recruiting point that is easy to eliminate by extending the contract, and we've done that.

He didn't have a year or two

He had 3
Jacob_House 27
This is well deserved. Baffles me to see the comments here.

Hey Gil Renard, Buford T. Justice, Captain Pablo, W, jja79 -

You don't seem to care for this extension, so i'm curious who you'd be interested in having as a coach instead?

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.