Recruit just finished the 8th grade

5,012 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Sandman98
oldvalleyrat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Very interesting story in the McAllen paper sports page this morning. It was reported that a kid that just finished the 8th grade that my grand kids go to has given a verbal to tu. It says that he has been a member of the Houston Bandidos Black summer team (whatever that is.) I don't know the young man other than I heard he was a really nice kid. The article says that he had been offered by A&M also.

Is this common? It sure seems early to be offering jr hi kids scholarships to a major university when he hasn't even put on his high school jersey yet. His name is Aaron (Beau) Nixon. Guess it is no secret since it was in the paper!
TheChameleon
AG
Definitely seems a little early for baseball, you see more of the really young offers in football. Looks like this kid is potentially a pretty rare talent though, Perfect Game just clocked him at 89 mph on the mound which obviously for his age is amazing. He's also been on the US National team for his age group. Needless to say there's an extremely long ways to go before he graduates high school, but if he were to keep progressing at this rate he'd probably be an early round draft type talent.
Sean98
AG
8th grade offers are stupid, no matter the sport. If a kid is special enough at that age to actually make it then he's an early draftee. And more often than not he's just big for his age and everyone catches up to him.

...I understand why the fringe schools do it? Try to get in on a kid when he's 13 because if you wait you'll never have a chance. But for major majors to do it just seems like a bad idea. Of all the 8th grade offers you've heard about over the years I can't think of very many that have been Heisman/Golden Spikes/WhateverTheBasketballAwardIs type guys.
91AggieLawyer
AG
A friend of mine has a daughter who's an up and coming golfer. He said that coaches and/or people familiar with the college recruiting process have told him that they are now largely done with Class of 2019 and are starting to focus on the Class of 2020. Plus, since most sports sign in the Fall rather than the spring like football, I'm not sure if he's talking about graduating classes or signing classes (i.e. this fall's class is considered 2016 even though they don't graduate until 2017).

Current 8th grade would be graduating Class of 2021. Possible and maybe even likely.
histag10
AG
I feel like golfing is a bit different, since there really is no age limit to going professional (and some do it as young teenagers). A college would have to recruit them before that point (I would assume).
Floorguy
Kid from Boerne High committed to TU this Summer about 2 weeks before his sophomore year started. He was the 6th for TU in the 2019 class. Kinda crazy
TXAggie2011
AG
It happens in many sports. Baseball, softball, basketball some times. A little in football here and there.

It often feels like, when paying attention to softball, that any halfway decent college-level player is committed by the end of 9th grade. That's a little hyperbole but you go to the state tournament or the big select tournaments and it catches a little off guard sometimes if a good 10th grader isn't committed.

I personally don't like it. I think the NCAA rules and timelines need to be tightened up.

People wonder why football players change their commitments all the time? We start shoving cameras in their face when they're 16 years old. Of course they're going to flip flop.
Yell Practice
The 8th grade is too early to recruit, IMO.
Yell Practice
13 --- 14
LJF78
And we wonder why each new generation of parents and kids have entitlement issues
aggiebrad94
AG
quote:
8th grade offers are stupid,
Are you sure there was an offer? Just because a kid commits doesn't mean there was an offer.
W
AG
yep, it's already being put into their heads...that they are better, special, different,...and eventually that the rules don't apply to them
oldvalleyrat
AG
quote:
yep, it's already being put into their heads...that they are better, special, different,...and eventually that the rules don't apply to them
I am a neophyte in this business but the newspaper article seems to have said that he had an offer from tu and several other schools. I don't know this young man but my grand kids went to school with him last year and said he was a good kid. He was also the 8th grade quarterback on their football team...et al. I was a middle school/high school principal and I have seen this kind of stuff go to both the kids and their parents heads....not in a good way.
Sandman98
AG
quote:

So who do you blame? The amateur athlete and their parents or the highly compensated professionals that make the offers? What would you have done if your favorite college told you how good you were and made an offer when you were 14?

There is a disturbing tendency around here to blame the recruit (football included), when paid grown ups and adult fans have allowed the recruiting "industry" to exist in the first place.
kevmiller
I don't think anyone blames the kid or parents.
I blame coaches , schools and the NCAA.

It should be mandated.
Sandman98
AG
quote:
I don't think anyone blames the kid or parents.
I blame coaches , schools and the NCAA.

It should be mandated.

When they use words like, special, bigs heads, entitled, above the law, etc, does it not feel like they resent the kid and don't really care what role the grown ups have played? Could be just me.
Latrobe
AG
During the recruiting process with my son (Baseball), the topic of early recruiting has come up a couple times. The two coaches (large D1 programs) said they hated it. They thought is was stupid to be speaking to a 14 year old on the phone about playing college baseball, the college experience, their education....etc. But said if they didn't do it, someone else would.

Sounds to me like they are waiting/wishing the NCAA would do something about it. Of course they can't call the kid until Sept 1 of his Junior Year, but they can call his travel team coach and then have the phone passed to the player.

RGLAG85
AG
It's all the 11.7's fault.
Gigemchicken90
AG
quote:
During the recruiting process with my son (Baseball), the topic of early recruiting has come up a couple times. The two coaches (large D1 programs) said they hated it. They thought is was stupid to be speaking to a 14 year old on the phone about playing college baseball, the college experience, their education....etc. But said if they didn't do it, someone else would.

Sounds to me like they are waiting/wishing the NCAA would do something about it. Of course they can't call the kid until Sept 1 of his Junior Year, but they can call his travel team coach and then have the phone passed to the player

This has been our exact experience with golf. My son is a 2019 and there are schools that are done with that class but many more that are not. One coach says he absolutely hates offering to 8th and 9th graders but does it because if he doesn't the kid will commit somewhere else. My son was at a tournament this summer for 12-15 year old and he was one of the few not committed somewhere.
He probably could commit somewhere but he is hoping to lower his scoring average and go to a D1 school. He doesn't want to "commit" and change his mind like so many others. If it works out fine if not that's fine too.
HECUBUS
AG
There have been college coaches and pro scouts at our select baseball events since 8th grade. You can't find a select team that doesn't participate in all that.

They are at all the tournaments. If you play, they are there. We avoid all the non game college coaching and scouting events. Wouldn't be interested in any of the colleges that show up anyway. There's nothing lower on the planet than an MLB scout assigned to scouting 14 year olds.

Its a clown show.

This weekends line up:
ATTENDING COLLEGES:
TEXAS STATE UNIV.
UTSA
HOUSTON BAPTIST UNIV.
TEXAS A&M UNIV. CORPUS CHRISTI
TEXAS SOUTHERN UNIV.
ST. MARY'S UNIV.
ST. EDWARDS UNIV.
TEXAS A&M INTERNATIONAL UNIV.
UNIV. MARY HARDIN BAYLOR
TEXAS LUTHERAN UNIV.
OUR LADY OF THE LAKE UNIV.
SCHREINER UNIV.
COASTAL BEND COLLEGE
Sandman98
AG
Early recruiting is such a funny concept in a limited scholarship sport. It's the way of the world but these families and the coaches enter in to these agreements before having a single clue of the scholarship dollars available at the time Skippy arrives on campus.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.