2017 Houston Classic Schedule is Released

3,389 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by LSU Baseball Fan
BHSag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is an awesome lineup!

Tech on Friday
TCU on Saturday
Baylor on Sunday
BHSag
http://houston.astros.mlb.com/hou/ticketing/college_classic.jsp

Whoops here is the link
Ben Puig 97
AG
Is it just me. I don't think it's so great. They should rename it to the SWC Basbeball Classic.
jkag89
quote:
Is it just me. I don't think it's so great. They should rename it to the SWC Basbeball Classic.
Well maybe if UofH and Rice were part of the Classic like almost all the past ones but Ole Miss and LSU were invited instead. In other words, it is the SEC vs BDF in the Classic next season.
greg.w.h
AG
Attendance...
Yell Practice
Where are the Owls ??
W
AG
here's a Houston Press article from February:

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/the-houston-college-classic-dumps-rice-uh-for-2017-8202134

that puts things in perspective. An excerpt:

"The officials who run the tournament for the Astros won't blame attendance, nor will they blame UH or Rice. But except for last year's LSU bump, which saw overall weekend attendance jump to 37,793 from the previous year's 19,843, attendance has been slacking off rather badly over the past five or six years (total attendance for this weekend, which didn't feature LSU, dropped all the way back down to 19,732)."

-----

the author doesn't mention A&M, but I would consider it an "A&M and LSU" bump in odd-numbered years.

Also...this reminds me of what killed the old SWC. And it's a cautionary tale for the BDF in their pursuit of recreating the SWC 2.0 with UH
rae13
AG
quote:
Where are the Owls ??

I think the committee is finally realizing that the hometown teams don't really bring in very good crowds. Rice is better than UH, but they only show up if they are playing an in-state rival. LSU and A&M both bring way more fans and sell more tickets.
Yell Practice
ensign_beedrill
AG
quote:
quote:
Where are the Owls ??

I think the committee is finally realizing that the hometown teams don't really bring in very good crowds. Rice is better than UH, but they only show up if they are playing an in-state rival. LSU and A&M both bring way more fans and sell more tickets.
And more beer.
StEdsCOOG
They need to quit scheduling the Classic on the same weekend as the BBQ Cook-off.
LSU Baseball Fan

It's quite possible LSU vs. TCU on that Friday night could be #1 vs. #2, with two future MLB studs facing off in Alex Lange and Luken Baker. Both teams should be preseason Top 5, at worst. I might just find an excuse to head down to Houston for that matchup. Texas Tech and Ole Miss should have good teams, too. A&M will be very young, but I think Childress will make it work with a few growing pains, like we had this past season.

Both our teams owe TCU a beating, especially you guys. And yeah, I think the tournament committee is very happy to see 3 of the most well-supported SEC teams instead of Rice and Houston, which, while being great programs, don't exactly fill the seats even in good years.

I hope LSU makes this Houston tourney a permanent fixture on our schedule. It's good to play great teams in a weekend series before SEC play starts. And it's way better than another 3-game home series against some ****ty Sun Belt team.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.