College baseball scholarships and debt

3,664 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TXAggie2011
paddyv71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought this was an interesting article on the challenges of managing College baseball scholarships and the sacrifices many of these players make.

http://m.omaha.com/sports/with-scholarship-limit-college-baseball-careers-come-with-a-cost/article_9c27f775-3564-5051-b7f9-f258c8c37fd1.html?mode=jqm

jkag89
Excellent article, thanks for posting.
TXAggie2011
AG
No doubt I wish that more money was spent on student-athlete scholarships, especially outside the football program, and not exorbitant salaries and the like, but rising tuition costs are a problem for baseball players and regular students alike...

Study and get your grades in high school, compete for academic and need-based financial aid, and be smart about the expenses you'd need to take on to go to a particular school just like a regular student does. You have all the same opportunities any other student has to avoid debt. And on top of that, you have access to athletic scholarship money which regular students do not.

TXAggie2011
AG
And I have a bit of a problem talking about "huge profits" for the NCAA without noting just how much money the NCAA gives back to schools. The overwhelming majority of its revenues are allocated back to its member conferences and schools.
jaTmes
We can definitely relate. Our son just completed his final year of eligibility at an NAIA school and is 50K in debt and still a year from graduating. All for the love of the game.
Hop
Staff
AG
I don;t how to fix it, but something is wrong when college baseball coaches are making $500k-1.3 MM and players are scrambling to make ends meet on a 25% scholarship.
AFDave13
AG
The biggest issue that I see here is: Why is 3/4 of a communications degree worth $150,000?
TempleAg97
AG
Great article. Thanks for sharing!
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
I don;t how to fix it, but something is wrong when college baseball coaches are making $500k-1.3 MM and players are scrambling to make ends meet on a 25% scholarship.
I looked up Brian O'Connor's salary, UVA coach quoted in that article.

His base salary pays him $225,000 or $18,750 per month.

UVA's estimated student living expenses (non-tuition and fees) for a full year are about $15,000.

And then O'Connor makes another $375,000 in supplemental salary each year.

Together, it makes $600,000 a year or $50,000 a month.

The full yearly cost of attendance for an out-of-state student is about $60,000.

The full yearly cost of attendance for an in-state student is about $30,000.

And on top of that, O'Connor is paid an undisclosed amount through their sponsorship deal with Rawlings.

For every month's pay to O'Connor, they could almost give a full ride to an out-of-state student or two in-state students.

Its incredible.
zagman
AG
Baseball need to go to 18 full Scholarships!
Full Speed Ahead - Fire At Will - Gig'em

"I have never enjoyed any position more than being president of Texas A&M University." Robert Gates 11/08/06
Hop
Staff
AG
And he probably makes more than that now...baseball coaches just got a big raise across the board with Texas throwing around seven figures to every stud coach in the country.
twk
AG
The only way to fix it is for the P-5 schools to break off into a new division, and to increase scholarships in non-revenue sports across the board (otherwise, they will run into Title IX problems). But, I don't see that happening, as even amongst P-5 schools, the lower half of that group would struggle to come up with the money necessary to do it. Coaching salaries are what they are because the NCAA can't cap them (and you'll recall that they started down that road in '87, only to lose an anti-trust suit), and that's something the big schools can do to try to get an edge.
Yell Practice
Good information
bsmooney
AG
It's called Title IX. If you increase male scholarships, you have to increase women's. Has nothing to do with coache's salaries.
zagman
AG
So if you increased baseball scholarships to 18 then softball would go to 18. More kids would choose college instead of pro and more kids would stay in school and graduate.
Full Speed Ahead - Fire At Will - Gig'em

"I have never enjoyed any position more than being president of Texas A&M University." Robert Gates 11/08/06
ag50
AG
Total scholarships in all sports has to be equal, football has 85, so all other men's sports get less than women's to make up difference, all women's scholarships are full scholarships, that's why there are sports where we don't have men's teams
AEK
AG
Why can't schools get together to change how many scholarships are allowed to be given? I guess it may be harder for a smaller school but we could put some of that SEC Network money to good use.
LatinAggie1997
AG
quote:
Total scholarships in all sports has to be equal, football has 85, so all other men's sports get less than women's to make up difference, all women's scholarships are full scholarships, that's why there are sports where we don't have men's teams

All women's scholarships are not full scholarships. Onky football and basketball have head count scholarships. Softball for example, gets 12 scholarships and is typically chopped amongst 18-20 student athletes. Some girls on our team only get books paid for while others get 50-60%. College softball coaches have to play accountants and keep up with how much money has been offered and is available every year during recruiting.
One Tooth Man
Lower the women's net by 2 feet and interested fans and tv sets will start watching women's basketball. The revenue will soon start to follow.
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
Why can't schools get together to change how many scholarships are allowed to be given? I guess it may be harder for a smaller school but we could put some of that SEC Network money to good use.

They did about 20 years ago. They got together and lowered the scholarships to 11.7. The lower 300 schools out-voted the top 50. It lowers their cost and makes them more competitive.
TXAggie2011
AG
Scholarships don't have to be equal. Texas A&M like most schools has many more men's scholarships available than women's. #football

But obviously that gap makes it very tricky to add men's scholarships without adding women's scholarships, as the general idea is the gap still needs to be lessened to more accurately reflect "interest" in participation by women and men.

Some schools have managed to add men's teams without a women's addition and apparently not get in trouble. But again, its tricky.

#football and its 65-85 scholarships at this level has doomed men's sports from having more equal scholarship counts to their respective female counterpart or even the possibility of having a men's team in _____ altogether, and I that's just the reality of giving football such luxury with their scholarship counts. Maybe football deserves it at some schools because they're the cash-cow at some schools; that's another argument.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.