98 Roster

2,809 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Sandman98
Shumba
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Where can I find a roster for the '98 team. I remember that they were pretty good. Thanks.
Bocephus
AG
Rupe, Fossum and Tyner all played in the bigs. Lost to Miss St team in the regional final for a chance to go to Omaha.
MMantle
AG
That was one of those 6-team regionals, both teams, in the final, were out of pitching, we started a guy who'd thrown something like 2.1 innings total, the entire season.

Brutal way to decide something so significant.

RR
twk
AG
I've got the '98 media guide packed away at home. I'll see if I can remember to dig it out sometime and scan it, but you'd have to give me an email.
threeanout
AG
Believe we were the # 2 seed in that regional.
Mr.Ackar07
Here's the 1998 Roster:

Derrick Adams
Anthony Barcelona
Chance Caple
Casey Fossum
Clancy Fossum
Eric French
Chris Fulbright
William Gray
Sean Heaney
Darren Heinrichs
Kyle Holle
Daylan Holt
Brent Howell
Chad Hudson
Shane King
Craig Kuzmic
Steve Leonard
Patrick Malone
Brady Minyard
Ryan Rupe
Chris Russ
Scott Sandusky
Steve Scarborough
Chris Scarcella
John Scheschuk
Erik Sobek
Ken Sundstrom
Dustin Trimmier
Steven Truitt
Jason Tyner
Matt Ward
Courtney Weller
Luke The Drifter
AG
quote:
Believe we were the # 2 seed in that regional.

I think this was the line-up...

1. Rice
2. Texas A&M (host)
3. Washington
4. Mississippi State
5. Oral Roberts (Bobo was the head coach before he bolted for OU)
6. ???

Earlier in the season, we had beaten Rice in a Tuesday night game...I think the score was 10-9. Anyway, we trailed by 7 (?) runs entering the 8th inning and came back to win. Rice was badly wanting a re-match with us in the post-season, but didn't get it. In the Owls' game vs. Washington, Rice set an NCAA record by hitting 10 batters. It was hilarious.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
John Scheschuk
AG
Luke, UNC - Charlotte was the 6 seed that year. That loss to Mississippi State still stings to this day!
JRB78
AG
Except for the not advancing part, that was one of the greatest atmospheres I have been around in sports. The Mississippi State fans were almost as intense and knowledgeable as our own, and when those two teams met, it was something special, even in the stands. I'll never forget it.
Luke The Drifter
AG
quote:
Luke, UNC - Charlotte was the 6 seed that year. That loss to Mississippi State still stings to this day!

Yes...now I recall.

That was back when I was doing contract work for the NCAA. I was a media relations guy for the '98 regional. My job immediately after each game was to go to whatever team was in the 1st base dugout and grab the head coach, 2-3 players and take them to the media tent. Having to talk to Wayne Graham seconds after they were eliminated after their pitchers beaned 10 batters was one of my favorite sports moments.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
John Scheschuk
AG
Agree OTNI,

Olsen was rocking that night.
Yell Practice
Sandman98
AG
quote:
That was one of those 6-team regionals, both teams, in the final, were out of pitching, we started a guy who'd thrown something like 2.1 innings total, the entire season.

Brutal way to decide something so significant.

RR

This is partially true. The blessing for MSU was that their ace had a bad (short) outing against Rice earlier in the tourney. He came in out of the pen after Schesh greeted the starter with a giant homer and we put up a five spot.

They matched our five runs in the second and we didn't have the luxury of going long with Rupe or Fossum. Their guy came out of the pen and threw one of the best games of his life.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.