Schloss signs contract, possibly highest paid coach

9,232 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Yell Practice
ftworthag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TXAggie2011
AG
Good for him and TCU.

TCU has every intention becoming and staying a major player in college athletics...and so far they've seemingly have made all the right moves.

Have kept the football coach happy.
Have kept the baseball coach happy

$80 million renovation of the basketball arena and hired a new men's coach who had still had 7 or 8 years left on his contract with powerhouse Pittsburgh. (Granted, he's a TCU alum but still...)

Women's basketball seems to be back on the up and up.
Ginsang
AG
quote:
Good for him and TCU.

TCU has every intention becoming and staying a major player in college athletics...and so far they've seemingly have made all the right moves.

$80 million renovation of the basketball arena and hired a new men's coach who had still had 7 or 8 years left on his contract with powerhouse Pittsburgh. (Granted, he's a TCU alum but still...)

Good grief, proofreading takes like 30 seconds...
W
AG
the Rice formula works.

the approach of being a big fish in a little pond can be very effective in college athletics.

even if t.u. eventually returns to greatness...there are so many bad programs in the BDF...the Frogs can be near the top of the league just about every season
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:
Good for him and TCU.

Good grief, proofreading takes like 30 seconds...
You'll live.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
the Rice formula works.

the approach of being a big fish in a little pond can be very effective in college athletics.

even if t.u. eventually returns to greatness...there are so many bad programs in the BDF...the Frogs can be near the top of the league just about every season
1) You've misrepresented the way Rice scheduled in their golden years, multiple times.

2) TCU baseball and football, like Rice baseball, have beat way too many big fish or me to care anymore.
ftworthag02
AG
Luke The Drifter
AG
That is an insane amount of money to pay a coach in a non-revenue sport. I know that's the way college athletics goes these days...but it doesn't make it any less insane.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
4ZORRO
AG
Good Investment for TCU.
Serious Lee
quote:
That is an insane amount of money to pay a coach in a non-revenue sport. I know that's the way college athletics goes these days...but it doesn't make it any less insane.

i'll play devils advocate here. it would be equally insane if they lost him to UT cause they didnt extend or give him a lofty raise.
Timberwolf
AG
Why you people are so supportive of TCU is baffling.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:

I'm calling it like I see it, and they've done an incredible job lately.
ftworthag02
AG
Their athletic department has done a amazing job over the past 10yrs.

My wife is a tcu alum and we have attended many baseball games over the years. (We've attended numerous A&M weekend series over the past 14 yes) Schloss is a amazing coach that out recruits most coaches and works his ass off. His coaches say that he will email them at 4am with various thoughts that come to mind
Ginsang
AG
quote:
quote:

+1

3 years in a row is no coincidence... from whatever angle you look at it.

From fielding teams that are mentally prepared to battle to just managing the game in a likeable way, Schlossednatal just gets it done way more often than not. This is coming from someone that personally can't stand the guy. There's just something (actually a few things) about him that annoys the hell out of me. He perfectly compliments the stereotypical tcu fanbase.

But as far as maximizing talent, and winning the games you want to win, the dude is nailing it. I'd be just fine dealing with a real piece of work as a head coach if it meant we'd get to experience our team winning deep into the postseason. He's not being paid to be a good 'ole boy.
dixichkn
AG
A**hole purple Baylol fans do not deserve a coach that good......he's on quite a roll
Serious Lee
quote:
its okay to admit they are better than us in a couple of sports.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
quote:
its okay to admit they are better than us in a couple of sports.

Times sure have changed. A&M was better than the longhorns in football, basketball, AND baseball the past season in each of those respective sports...but the folks in Austin no longer set the bar that Aggies dream to get to. It is now those folks in Fort Worth.

Well except in basketball. The Frogs have been the worst in hoops for almost ever and it will be very hard for any coach to be able to pull that program up very far in the Big 12.
Rocco S
quote:
quote:

They have hired and retained quality coaches in football and baseball. I'm not sure what the line to hire Patterson has looked like, but I'm sure he's had opportunities to leave. TCU has ponied up (may not be the way they'd put it) to keep him and now they've done the same with Schlossnagle.

I don't know what their baseball attendance is like and it may not be a revenue sport but surely it's not a money pit.
greg.w.h
AG
I think the key message is that if the previous conference wants to stay together, they have to quit letting Austin poach their coaches. They're bringing down $30 million in a combination of media, conference, and NCAA revenue not counting what the toilet bowl on the Brazos produces (which likely is at least partially being paid off with revenues in the near term, but maybe Drayton just paid for the whole thing.)

TCU similarly is private and has access to alumni, civic, and corporate support in Ft. Worth. They have a very good coach on the football side, a very good coach on the baseball side, and arguably one of the most intriguing coaches in the southwest region of the country on the basketball side (ok...other than Shaka). They're poised to move up if the BDF implodes. Smart! And they might move up whether or not it implodes.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
Well except in basketball. The Frogs have been the worst in hoops for almost ever and it will be very hard for any coach to be able to pull that program up very far in the Big 12.

I'm surprised this got by you Punpkinhead, their new basketball coach is Jamie Dixon formerly from Pittsburgh who has an elite eight and multiple sweet 16s to his name.

Maybe you don't think much of Dixon, but it's very intriguing.

They got lucky in that he's an alum, but hey, it's just going to serve to give them and recruits sound of mind that he won't be looking to leave for another job.
Luke The Drifter
AG
So what financial return does TCU...or anyone else...get on a $1MM per year coach? I don't know the answer to this, to be honest. Baseball already loses money hand over fist, even at the schools with the biggest support. How can a school like TCU, who doesn't have the TV revenue or ticket sales that A&M or LSU or Mississippi State or even Texas has, financially recoup the cost of investment in their head baseball coach?

If they paid a million just to keep Texas from becoming strong again, then so be it. But if they paid a million thinking the program will become a financial juggernaut for the athletic department, I'd hate to be the one who has to tell them that will never, ever happen.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
powerbelly
AG
They know what they are doing and I guarentee they dont expect baseball to generate revenue to cover his salary.
Illustrious Potentate
AG
I think the high price tag is more of a result of what Schloss has done for them. Sure they had to pay to make sure he sticks around, but they put that money into a proven coach that did it in house. To me that's just a smart move all the way around.
BQ_90
AG
quote:
So what financial return does TCU...or anyone else...get on a $1MM per year coach? I don't know the answer to this, to be honest. Baseball already loses money hand over fist, even at the schools with the biggest support. How can a school like TCU, who doesn't have the TV revenue or ticket sales that A&M or LSU or Mississippi State or even Texas has, financially recoup the cost of investment in their head baseball coach?

If they paid a million just to keep Texas from becoming strong again, then so be it. But if they paid a million thinking the program will become a financial juggernaut for the athletic department, I'd hate to be the one who has to tell them that will never, ever happen.

Maybe not. My guess is a place like TCU, the big donors might be more winning to donate more money if they are winning across the board. So maybe their donations can offset the salaries. I don't know anything about their baseball facility, never been there, but do they sell beer, do they have club seats?

Seems to me TCU isn't trying to set attendance records, because they know they can't, but if they can offer fewer seats and demand higher prices for them and sell them club level services, then you can generate revenue that way.

Also they where doing pretty good without the Big XII money, now that they're getting it and winning. They might be in really good financial shape.

I would say they are far from managing expectations, that's for sure.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm surprised this got by you Punpkinhead, their new basketball coach is Jamie Dixon formerly from Pittsburgh who has an elite eight and multiple sweet 16s to his name.

Maybe you don't think much of Dixon, but it's very intriguing.

They got lucky in that he's an alum, but hey, it's just going to serve to give them and recruits sound of mind that he won't be looking to leave for another job.
I think Dixon is a good coach but IMO it will be a very difficult job to try to raise TCU from the bottom of the Big 12.

The Big 12 is a very salty basketball conference with Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Texas, Iowa State, Baylor, Oklahoma State, West Virginia. Dixon could improve the program and still finish near bottom in a 10-team league.

He is in a recruiting hotbed of basketball talent but the competition is also really fierce to grab the best players. You got the horns, Baylor, A&M, and even SMU right there in Dallas with Larry Brown trying to grab guys, not to mention the likes of Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, etc. usually coming in and swiping away a bunch of the best in-state talent most years.

What Tubby Smith was able to do at Texas Tech is maybe a possible bench mark. Smith got his teeth kicked in for the first 2 years in Lubbock but then finally broke through into the NCAA tournament last season (before of course then promptly dumping the Tech job for Vandy). Not sure I put Dixon in terms of a bench coach at the same level as Smith but we'll see.

TXAggie2011
AG
Lance, TCU had a total attendance of 122,000 in 2014, the most recent year I have seen. It was 12th best in the country, and I'm sure the expectation is that Schossnagle can keep attendance around that level.

At $9 a ticket, they cover his salary.

Of course, there are other expensive bills to pay to field a baseball team but between tickets, advertising, etc. they probably go a decent way towards self-funding the baseball team.

College athletics isn't an investment firm, so its a little less about maximizing return on investment and a little more about just doing what it takes to win. And they have spent the money to ensure a known winner will stay at their school.

Schlossnagle had quite a bit of leverage, and like you said, its just the way major college athletics goes nowadays.

Also, of course, you have to keep in mind the total budget and not handicap the athletic department for the baseball team, but they seem to be in a good place financially, based on the aforementioned outlays in basketball and some other activities around their athletic department.

If they have to start paying out luxurious buyout packages to fired coaches, they may be screwed but that's certainly not the expectation with Schlossnagle or Gary Patterson.
Luke The Drifter
AG
I'm sure TCU knows exactly what it's doing and I'm sure the results will turn out just fine for them. To be honest, I am quite surprised Texas didn't go after TCU's athletic director (Del Conte) when Dodds retired and I'm absolutely blown away when they didn't pursue him when Patterson turned out to be a huge bust. I'm sure the guy Texas has now will be fine...but for whatever reason Del Conte seems to have the support and respect of the NCAA and other ADs as well.

I guess I'm just frustrated in the fact college athletics has become just a money-whipping contest. Fancier facilities, ridiculous TV contracts, huge advertising dollars, exorbitant coaches salaries...it's all about the money. I think I liked college sports better when everyone just played for fun.

TXAggie2011
AG
Its frustrates me, too. I'm right there with you on that front.

I'm going to veer a little off-topic here...

While I hate it for the student-athletes that baseball gets the short stick on scholarships, I do feel it has made baseball less about the fancy facilities and flash and stuff than just about any other college sport.

I'm not sure in any other sport can the little guys, that don't have the fancy facilities and TV contracts and stuff, compete with the big boys as we see in baseball. Maybe men's basketball, but that's for other reasons.

And while the SEC sure has tried to spend its way to dominance in baseball and its worked alright for them, I think we saw this post-season that they can never have such a complete monopoly as they've gotten in a few other sports because scholarship limits on the great equalizer. Kids follow scholarship money first and foremost and with 11.7, you just don't have enough scholarships to hand out.
BQ_90
AG
when was college sports ever played for fun? I'm talking mens sports, not the Olympic sports.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
when was college sports ever played for fun? I'm talking mens sports, not the Olympic sports
When I talk about it, I mean to say back before schools were installing "water falls" in locker rooms so to make the front page of Bleacher Report and get a bunch of re-tweets.

For better and for worse, the facilities war has exploded over the past decade or so with the expansion of revenue from cable TV and online TV services and I absolutely think the nature of college sports has changed from even 10 years ago, yet alone further back than that.
Serious Lee
still cant believe dixon fell into their lap. that guy was a pipe dream for us when turgeon left. agree though that hes in the toughest situation of all in that conference.
BQ_90
AG
Its always been that way, the difference is more schools care about baseball. sips and USC plowed money into their programs back when nobody else did so they where the best. Things have gotten bigger mostly due to TV and now streaming. It's a good thing. Means you're growing the sport.
Timberwolf
AG
I still dont get it. You guys rationalize how TCU has done it right, yet they are in the hated Big 12 and are an in state threat in football and baseball now. Yet you continue to keep your eye off the ball in obsessing about Texas who sucks right now in just about every sport.
TexAgs1992
quote:
I still dont get it. You guys rationalize how TCU has done it right, yet they are in the hated Big 12 and are an in state threat in football and baseball now. Yet you continue to keep your eye off the ball in obsessing about Texas who sucks right now in just about every sport.

Yeah, because people can respect and appreciate how an athletic department is ran without liking them. Maybe even learn some things from them as well. What a revolutionary idea.
Luke The Drifter
AG
quote:

Somehow or another, each of your points is mutually exclusive. And I doubt discussion by a bunch of us nitwits on a message board will have any effect on how TCU performs on the field relative to Texas. Also, not everyone hates the Big 12. I, for one, am completely indifferent to the Big 12 and glad we're no longer a part of it. I don't wish ill will on anyone in that conference. If they choose to die a slow and painful death while being commandeered by and lorded over by the Horns, so be it. I'm quite pleased with the way A&M is positioned for both the near and long term...and really, that's all I truly care about.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.